Increased clutch freeplay and hard to get into gear

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Increased clutch freeplay and hard to get into gear

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

So I was driving around tonight, and I noticed it was harder to get into gear than normal, in all my gears. I thought it was just my shift linkage, but then I stopped with my friend Adam in the alley where HIS friend Steve has his garage. The shift linkages were fine but it was still hard to get into the gears. It was at that point that I noticed that my clutch had WAY more freeplay than it used to (used to have maybe 1 inch, now it was a good 2-3 inches). Steve suggested it was the slave cylinder, so I ran to autozone with Adam (in his car) and bought some dot 3 brake fluid. Came back, and opened the clutch fluid reservoir, it was nearly full. f**k. Added just a bit to be sure, then gingerly drove home, and it was very hard to get into gear, had to shut it off and put it into 1st at stop lights. Ok, so any help/suggestions?

Cliffnotes:
Very hard to get into gear
No pressure for first few inches of clutch travel
Checked clutch fluid reservoir, was nearly full
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Re: Increased clutch freeplay and hard to get into gear

Post by ihartmacz »

try bleeding your clutch by pressing it slowly about 10 times and watching for bubbles, then if that doesn't do anything, just bleed it with the bleeder.

Look at the clutch release fork while someone pushes the clutch for you, should move about an inch or so.

Is your clutch any more spongy than normal?
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Other than the increased freeplay, my clutch feels like it always has (a bit stiff and a bit spongy) Is the clutch release fork under a boot near the front of the trans?
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Could be pedal mount, master cylinder, slave cylinder, bent clutch release fork, throwout bearing, etc.

What do you mean by stiff and spongy? Sounds contradictory. Put it in first with the clutch floored and parking brake firmly set. Then starts the engine. If there's a problem with hydraulic, the clutch will slowly engage and the engine stalls. Anything weird before this happened?
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

Yup! It will be in a boot in the front of the transaxle.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

So I went to my car a few minutes ago. Slave cylinder looks OK, no leaks or anything, as does the master cylinder. About half the pedal travel is freeplay. If the clutch is all the way down, the car doesn't move, but if I release it even a mm, the car starts to slowly move. The car will drive like this, and once it's rolling, it will get into gear, a little harder than normal, but it will go in. It is much harder to get it into gear at a stop. Also, when the engine is off, it goes into all the gears fine.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

So I went out to bleed it. Pumped the clutch a few times, held it down and my dad opened the bleeder valve. Some fluid came out, he closed it, and we repeated this process 2 or 3 times. After this there was only pressure for about the last 1/2 inch of clutch travel, the first about 5 and 1/2 inches were just freeplay. My dad wanted to stop because it was dark and raining, and said we'd continue tomorrow. Think it's a bad slave cylinder? There's no leaks but maybe the internals aren't functioning properly. Or could it just be air bubbles in the system that haven't traveled down to the slave cylinder yet? Could that be the reason there was no pressure even after pumping, opening, and closing the bleeder valve 3 times?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Went out to bleed it again today. Did it the right way this time, put a tube on the bleeder and the other end in a clean bowl of brake fluid. I did the pumping, opening closing thing at least 10 times, a lot of gunk came out, but the pedal pressure was still nil. My dad didn't feel like trying to replace the slave cylinder (it might not be the thing that's wrong and we might waste money on it - ITS 20 FREAKING DOLLARS!!!!! :x ), so I can't drive for the next few days unless my friend comes over and helps me replace the slave cylinder. Please, anyone, any suggestions? I'm losing hope :(
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Went out to bleed it again today. Did it the right way this time, put a tube on the bleeder and the other end in a clean bowl of fluid. I did the pumping, opening closing thing at least 10 times, a lot of gunk came out...
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

lol. Any idea of the problem though?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

On a serious note, I think you're gonna have to wait for slave replacement.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

If it truly is the slave, I'll be more than happy. Slave is 20 bucks and 3 bolts, 30 minute job, tops, plus 10 minutes to bleed. Easy as pie. Gonna try and do it tomorrow with Adam.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Have you look at other things other than the slave? The master cylinder may be bad even if it isn't leaking out. Then again, the hydraulics may be completely intact.

The pedal mount may be loose, clutch release fork inside the bell housing, throw out bearing, diaghram, and other mechanical things may be broken.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

scionkid wrote:Have you look at other things other than the slave? The master cylinder may be bad even if it isn't leaking out. Then again, the hydraulics may be completely intact.

The pedal mount may be loose, clutch release fork inside the bell housing, throw out bearing, diaghram, and other mechanical things may be broken.
+1
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

'Tis currently at the shop as we speak. I'll let you guys know soon.