Increased clutch freeplay and hard to get into gear

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: Increased clutch freeplay and hard to get into gear

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

So I got my car back from the shop today (yay! :D ) Mechanic told my dad that it was something in the clutch fluid that deteriorated the linings/gaskets/grommets whatever's in the cylinders. Had to replace both the master and slave cylinder. Took it around for a quick spin around the block. Clutch feels a bit firmer than it used to, but the friction point feels more vague. It used to be more on/offish, now its a more fluid motion, I wouldn't say it's slipping, but it doesn't engage as precise as it used to. Overall I'm happy though :D
kwak88
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kwak88 »

curious, how much did all this cost you? total i mean
1987 Nissan 300ZX N/A
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Around $230 I think, parts and labor for the slave and master cylinder.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Around $230 I think, parts and labor for the slave and master cylinder.
THE MASTER CYLINDER- Bum-Bum-Bum!

You are just lucky to get out of there alive.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

^ Is that a reference to some tv show character?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^Yes. It is the Master Cylinder, ruler of the moon, from the Felix the Cat cartoon series.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Its a shame I didn't see this thread earlier, I could've told you the seal inside the slave went bad. Fieros have a bad reputation for reliability with a few things, clutch hydraulics being one of the worst. You weren't looking for a fluid leak, you were supposed to be looking for an air leak. If the seal goes bad on your slave cylinder it can still hold back the hydraulic fluid when you push the pedal to the floor, but when you let up on the pedal, air can get sucked into the system from around the seal on the slave piston. That way, you never see a fluid leak, but air is getting into your lines BIG time. You paid $250 to get the master and slave replaced? Its easy, you could've done it yourself for like $50-$60. :roll:
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Tinton wrote:Its a shame I didn't see this thread earlier, I could've told you the seal inside the slave went bad. Fieros have a bad reputation for reliability with a few things, clutch hydraulics being one of the worst. You weren't looking for a fluid leak, you were supposed to be looking for an air leak. If the seal goes bad on your slave cylinder it can still hold back the hydraulic fluid when you push the pedal to the floor, but when you let up on the pedal, air can get sucked into the system from around the seal on the slave piston. That way, you never see a fluid leak, but air is getting into your lines BIG time. You paid $250 to get the master and slave replaced? Its easy, you could've done it yourself for like $50-$60. :roll:
See the thing is, I would've. My dad INSISTED on taking it to the mechanic because we don't have the tools/time to do it at my apt. I could've gotten the slave for $20, the master for another amount of money and had it done for under $150 easy. I was convinced it was one of the cylinders because my transmission was fine, and major shit like a clutch fork doesn't just go out in a Corolla.