weird clutch problem

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
gamer10101
Junior Standardshifter

weird clutch problem

Post by gamer10101 »

New to the site, sort of new to standard. Been driving for 2 years and loved it from day 1. I've been having the weirdest problem with my clutch. started a few months ago, went away and is slowly coming back.

I'm driving a Dodge SX2.0 2004, and I was told by my cousin who knows a thing or two about cars that my clutch adjusts itself automatically each time you press the clutch. It is my guess that it id adjusting itself wrong. I'd be sitting at a red light and when it switches green, I accelerate normally. First gear, no problem. Second, no problem. But when I get to third, fourth or fifth, I could give it just enough gas to maintain my speed but any more to accelerate and my clutch slips. Of course my first thought was my clutch is worn. But, remembering what my cousin told me, I pop it into neutral and pump the clutch a few times and put it pack in gear, and voila, fixed. I can floor it and there is no problem. It is very intermittent. Not always on the same gear, sometimes on 3, sometimes on 4, rarely on 5. Sometimes I can go weeks without it happening.

Then there is the other problem. This happens very rare luckily but i grind my gears sometimes. I would have the clutch pressed in all the way but when I put it in gear, I still hear that grinding sound. It's not a hard grinding where you aren't holding the clutch at all but you still hear it. And, it normally goes in while you do it. It grinds for a split second then pops in with no force before you realize it was grinding in the first place. Here my first though, syncros. But this happens on all gears, 1-5, and added with my first problem, I'm guessing it's the same thing.

Any thought from you guys?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: weird clutch problem

Post by watkins »

Assuming logically that you have a hydrolic clutch, Id say that you may need to replace the slave cylinder. But before that, definitely check the level of your fluid. You may just need to top it off. This would likely mean you have a leak somewhere however, considering how new your car is.
gamer10101
Junior Standardshifter

Post by gamer10101 »

Any idea where to check that. I've looked but can't find it. It's not in the owner's manual and unless I'm blind it's not in the service manual either. At leasrt what would it look like.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I agree on this possibly being a hydrolic issue. I'd check the fluid and bleed it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Hey welcome. I'm not familiar with your particular car.
If you've got a hydraulic clutch (sounds like with that auto adjusting system you would?) the fluid reservoir should be under the hood and will look like the brake fluid reservoir. They use the same fluid, usually.
Of course if you've got a cable clutch you will not have a reservoir.

I'd do a little research and figure out that auto-adjusting clutch system. Is it electrically operated? Or just a mechanism? You may just have a faulty or sticking slider/part. It's hard to know without knowing how it's made.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

you may have an issue with clutch pressure, IE: problem with the cylinders or something, or...

you can live with that and just give the syncros more time.

After you depress the clutch, hold the shift against, but not all the way into the gate and let the speeds match, then the shift will fall in without grinding.

I would be led to believe that the clutch isn't all the problem, and you could remedy it with some different shifting style.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:I would be led to believe that the clutch isn't all the problem, and you could remedy it with some different shifting style.
It is more likely that there is something wrong with the car. To ignore this is stupid.

OP, just have it checked out. Worst case is you spend a little money for nothing, best case is they fix your problem.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

padauk_dust wrote:If you've got a hydraulic clutch (sounds like with that auto adjusting system you would?)
Were there ANY 2004 models made with non-hydraulic clutches?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Im going to have to say not likely. Maybe in some el cheapo Asian domestic car
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Perhaps I'm not entirely accurate but I don't believe a cable clutch or any other non-hydro clutch system has been used much since mid 80's or so.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Nope. The Saab 900 (new generation) used a cable clutch until the end of its life in '98
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

When I was buying a car last time I looked at this 1999 or 2000 Jetta GL that had a cable clutch.
I assumed for a car this new it would be hydraulic but you can't count out the possibility entirely.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

SN95 mustaches had cable clutches.

cable clutches are cool. you get the direct feel of what the clutch is doing and how its doing it, the pedal is heavy, etc. but the downside is the cable stretches and it likes to grab in random spots. ill rock out my hydraulic clutch because its simple and consistent.

only downside of a hydraulic clutch is 80 dollars for the master, 45 for the slave, whatever much for the stainless clutch line vs a 15 dollar clutch cable.

oh well, i still like my hydraulic clutch.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

permabanned wrote:SN95 mustaches had cable clutches.

cable clutches are cool. you get the direct feel of what the clutch is doing and how its doing it, the pedal is heavy, etc. but the downside is the cable stretches and it likes to grab in random spots. ill rock out my hydraulic clutch because its simple and consistent.

only downside of a hydraulic clutch is 80 dollars for the master, 45 for the slave, whatever much for the stainless clutch line vs a 15 dollar clutch cable.

oh well, i still like my hydraulic clutch.
Your slave is $45 :lol: Mine's $20, no joke :lol:
gamer10101
Junior Standardshifter

Post by gamer10101 »

Just checked. Definitely hydrolic, and fluid level is 100%. What would be my next step? Is there anything I could check myself without actually dismanteling or is my only choice left to take it in to the garage?