Power Steering Fluid

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Power Steering Fluid

Post by ClutchFork »

This pertains to the olden days of before Ford started specifying Mercon ATFs.

I was told by an oil company chemist that it is perfectly okay to put Dextron/Mercon in my old Ford PS pump that specifies Type F ATF. I believe he is correct because a PS pump is fairly simple compared to an automatic transmission. The whole thing about not putting Dextron in a Ford tranny and not putting Type F in a GM tranny has to do with the level or lack of friction modifiers between the two fluids and how the transmissions are built and set up to operate. Ford probably specified Type F for their PS pumps just to keep it simple--one fluid for both PS and tranny.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Power Steering Fluid

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Back in the good-ol'-Days, I seem to remember that you could use ATF to top-off a powerful steering pump reservoir, because most of the fluid in the system was still PSF and had all the correct additives. ATF was Good-Enough-for Government-Work when only added in small amounts.

We didn't have the internet back then. We got our facts from popular magazines, like Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Popular Hot-Rodding....oh, and that guy down the street with all the old cars that still ran after 100,000 smiles.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:...and that guy down the street with all the old cars that still ran after 100,000 smiles.
Yeah, ha ha. Those were the days, eh? If a car passed 100,000 miles it was a noteworthy event. Now it is noteworthy if a car does not pass 100,000 and more. They even didn't have the odometer go past 99,000 because most cars were junked before that.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

InlinePaul wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:...and that guy down the street with all the old cars that still ran after 100,000 smiles.
Yeah, ha ha. Those were the days, eh? If a car passed 100,000 [s]miles it was a noteworthy event. Now it is noteworthy if a car does not pass 100,000 and more. They even didn't have the odometer go past 99,000 because most cars were junked before that.

fixed it for you.

I know Honda is very strict on using only Honda fluid to the power steering system. Anything else should only be used as a very temporary solution. I've heard horror stories on people who haven't. Whether its true... :roll:
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
Yeah, ha ha. Those were the days, eh? If a car passed 100,000 [s]miles it was a noteworthy event. Now it is noteworthy if a car does not pass 100,000 and more. They even didn't have the odometer go past 99,000 because most cars were junked before that.

fixed it for you.

I know Honda is very strict on using only Honda fluid to the power steering system. Anything else should only be used as a very temporary solution. I've heard horror stories on people who haven't. Whether its true... :roll:
haven't kept a honda long enough to find out :lol:
not that most of my hondas weren't old before i had them...never touched a power steering system (brakes are another story)...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.