How often do you armorall your car?

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: How often do you armorall your car?

Post by AHTOXA »

Some people like a glossy, greasy finish. I do not.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

It's glossy, but not at all greasy.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Perhaps they changed their formula. When I did use it in the past it was very oily and greasy. It attracted dust and dirt, which is why I stopped using it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

That's what i'm thinking, because mine is certainly not greasy.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I recall a greasy feel to it in the past but have not used the stuff in many years. Even then, I wonder if it remained greasy or dried after a while.

Haha, I had a 1984 F150 and the dashboard was very dusty and dirty. One day I was drinking some coffee and spilled some on the dash. When I wiped it up the area looked much cleaner, so I proceeded to wash the entire top of the dashboard with coffee. :lol: That dashboard did eventually (by the late 1990s) crack and then whole chunks came out, it was dry rotted. If I used Armor All on it, it was probably only once or twice ever and earlier in the truck's life.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I wouldn't use ArmorAll if they gave me a 55-gallon drum of the stuff for free. It's greasy and it makes the interior shiny. That's not good, IMO. There are so many better products out there these days. I use Meguiar's Interior Quick Detailer exclusively, because I've found it to be a great product. No glossy shine, smells great, and leaves the interior looking like it did from the factory.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

you can take the greek man out of greece, but you can't take the greece out of the greek man
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Well the armorall is out. If I had any moisture on my hands it would get greasy and come off on me, and leave smear marks. So I washed it all off, and purchased Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant wipes and used those. The Meguiars is great! Won't smear, or come off on your hand, and is not greasy at all. I won't use armorall any more.

Here is a picture of the dash after I finished with the Meguiars.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Looks good. Glad I didn't slap the Armor All on yet. May as well use the Meguiars on the Ranger. Should return the Armor All to Meijer for my money back! Armor All is a fine product if you like the greaser look and feel. :lol: My car show buddy must like it for the extra shine.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchDisc wrote:Well the armorall is out. If I had any moisture on my hands it would get greasy and come off on me, and leave smear marks. So I washed it all off, and purchased Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant wipes and used those. The Meguiars is great! Won't smear, or come off on your hand, and is not greasy at all. I won't use armorall any more.
How did you get all the ArmorAll off? A friend of mine slathered it all over his dashboard and he can't get it off. I'm not sure what he used to clean it off, but he can't get his dashboard back to the original look...it still has a shiny look to it. BTW, this was like a year or two ago. I remember he was trying all kinds of cleaners to get rid of the shine, but it still looks shiny even now.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ClutchDisc »

Shadow wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:Well the armorall is out. If I had any moisture on my hands it would get greasy and come off on me, and leave smear marks. So I washed it all off, and purchased Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant wipes and used those. The Meguiars is great! Won't smear, or come off on your hand, and is not greasy at all. I won't use armorall any more.
How did you get all the ArmorAll off? A friend of mine slathered it all over his dashboard and he can't get it off. I'm not sure what he used to clean it off, but he can't get his dashboard back to the original look...it still has a shiny look to it.
Just a gentle all purpose cleaner. It took all the armorall off and it looked like I never put any on. Might have helped that I didn't have it on for more than 2 days.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I can't stand it. Like the kid who couldn't help putting his tongue on the ice sculpture and got froze to it, I could not stand seeing the Armor All just sit there, so I slathered some on the Ranger, just the panel for the passenger air bag compartment. I could not help it, but anyway we will see what happens until I wipe it off, or maybe do the whole dashboard. Just gotta have a first hand experience.
Stick shiftin since '77
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Never, not on a cold day in hell. That is the NASTIEST shit... I recall it being incredibly greasy and not lasting very long. Perhaps the UV damage claims are due to the fact that it doesn't last long enough to do a lot of good? It attracts dirt, which is a huge no-no. Furthermore, it tends to get overused, which isn't good either. I don't like the shine it imparts.

Meguiar's quick detailer meets my needs perfectly. It's good for the interior, and you end up with a soft, matte finish surface with a supple feel. That blows the hard, greasy shiny finish of Armorall 100% in my book. Also: Both the interior and exterior quick detailer make great claybar lube.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:
How did you get all the ArmorAll off? A friend of mine slathered it all over his dashboard and he can't get it off. I'm not sure what he used to clean it off, but he can't get his dashboard back to the original look...it still has a shiny look to it. BTW, this was like a year or two ago. I remember he was trying all kinds of cleaners to get rid of the shine, but it still looks shiny even now.
Simple Green is your friend.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

No more Armor All. Clutchdisc washed it off the small area of my Ranger and did the whole dash in Mcguires. The Armor All will be reserved for use as a protectant on our plastic garbage cans. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77