LED Tail and turn signal lights

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

LED Tail and turn signal lights

Post by bk7794 »

I was watching this video

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1_krEoU0ZE a[/youtube]

And it got me thinking of the possibility of using LED lights for my tail lights atleast. What are your thoughts?

I would probably try to find them cheaper than this since I would need 4 of them to do my brake lights. http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... over/1091/

Also would eBay be a trusted source? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-1157-SUPER- ... 13&vxp=mtr
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: LED Tail and turn signal lights

Post by Shadow »

I say go for it. I have factory LEDs on both my Audi and my 4Runner and I love them. No bulbs to burn out ever....plus they are really bright and they look cool too.

I don't really see any downside to upgrading your bulbs to LEDs, other than the cost. Then again, the cost has dropped substantially, so it's not too expensive these days. Keep in mind that you might need to add a resistor if your LEDs flash too quickly when you're using your turn signals or hazards.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote:I say go for it. I have factory LEDs on both my Audi and my 4Runner and I love them. No bulbs to burn out ever....plus they are really bright and they look cool too.

I don't really see any downside to upgrading your bulbs to LEDs, other than the cost. Then again, the cost has dropped substantially, so it's not too expensive these days. Keep in mind that you might need to add a resistor if your LEDs flash too quickly when you're using your turn signals or hazards.
it'd be a decent investment, especially for brightness sake. Where would you recommend getting them?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I dunno.....mine are original equipment, so I've never had to buy them in the aftermarket. I have heard good things about SuperbrightLEDs.com. Maybe you should check the forums for your particular car and see what other guys have done as far as converting to LEDs.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

superbrightleds.com, hands down. I get all my LED stuff from there (not just automotive LEDs, but LED diodes for small projects, LED lightbulb replacements for the house, decorative LED fixtures, everything). Never had anything but good experiences all around.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Sounds good, I may try to get brake lights to see if I like the looks. Thanks
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

So I kind of forgot all about doing this when I got my 2000 Civic. Though last night I noticed something kind of funny. I was driving out of my parking garage and noticed someone literally on top of me while I was pulling out. When I got to the stop light I noticed my brake lights reflecting off the person's face. This got me thinking.

What if I just put an LED for the 3rd brake light? I wonder if it'd look both silly and distracting. Might try and upgrade the whole rear with LEDs if I like them.

Sucks owning a civic sometimes. A simple google search never gets you anywhere. LOL

I keep coming up with garbage like this.

This reminds me...I was in walmart a couple days ago and found aftermarket tail lights for my car there. LOL
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

PLEASE do NOT rice out your civic, whatever you do... :oops: :shock: :o :roll: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Those are some of the least offensive Civic tail lights Ive ever seen.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:PLEASE do NOT rice out your civic, whatever you do... :oops: :shock: :o :roll: 8)
Lmao, you saw what I wrote before that picture right?

I still have to order the LED bulb for my STOCK enclosures that I do not plan on replacing.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

six wrote:superbrightleds.com, hands down. I get all my LED stuff from there (not just automotive LEDs, but LED diodes for small projects, LED lightbulb replacements for the house, decorative LED fixtures, everything). Never had anything but good experiences all around.
I would not, on first glance, trust a website with a URL like that. Something about silly names seeming like fake sites...

However, now I will look there if I need LEDs.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I agree it sounds shady, but FWIW I've been reading posts on forums like this (well, not quite as good as this place!) from people who are happy with that site for years now. Plenty of good ratings here too: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Super_Bright_LEDs
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD