New headlight suggestions

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

New headlight suggestions

Post by bk7794 »

Has anyone ever tired those silverstar ultras and all the similar ones? I have these phillips lamps in my car, doon't really seem to help the low beam that much.

Also does anyone have an information on correct alignment procedures?

Today I was driving and there was a volunteer fire man standing in the road trying to direct traffic...but he had his back toward me so the strips didn't show...luckily I was driving really slow so i was able to stop when he finally turned around.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: New headlight suggestions

Post by six »

Silverstar Ultras are brighter and whiter than standard headlight bulbs. We used them in the family Ford Windstar; it's definitely whiter than the standard bulb but still "yellow" when compared to HIDs. However, they have a significantly shorter life than standard bulbs. Given their high price, it's a lose-lose unless you want the brighter light.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

^That does seem to be the common review.

This is a big issue for me. I encounter enough traffic that glare, one of my most important values, would be an issue so I can't just put in something ridiculously bright. I refuse to blind other drivers. It's also enough that the glare from other cars makes my eyes acclimate to brighter light. In a city this wouldn't be a problem as there'd be streetlights and other cars' headlights everywhere, but I drive through unlit forest roads with deer popping out from behind every tree...so I need extra light.

Exacerbating that situation, my car is equipped for sealed beam headlights. I like the concept but the execution is dim by today's standards. If everybody had them then my eyes would be less affected, but technology moved on in the 32 years since my car was made. So, I need to catch up to 32 years of the headlight arms race. My 2002 GMC's OEM headlights are fine -- although I'm always happy to augment my lighting and ran lots of extra lights on it for years, I've simplified to just the regular headlights lately and they suffice.

So, for my car I put in Navigator NV-526W driving lights and Sylvania Xtravision 4656 headlights.

I waited until dark and put one Xtravision in, then turned them on so I could compare to 32 year old basic headlights. I could barely detect the difference. I like to think there may be a difference that is just hard to detect in the yard but actually helps on the road...probably wishful thinking.

The driving lights definitely help but not the way I want. They don't quite project as far forward as I'd like but they add a lot of width and some height. They are neither like fog lights nor like this illustration of what driving lights ought to be:
(Found that in a google image search for NV526W.)

Before I drove it on the road I attempted to assess any potential for glare afflicted on other drivers by standing far away and walking towards the car. It's not scientific but it's what I was able to do. It's been 1 1/2 years and 30,000 miles and I've never been flashed so I suppose it's not glaring.

Those driving lights look anachronistic on my car, although the blue color of the lens (the light doesn't look blue, just the lens when turned off) matches my paint. The rounded corners, smoothish semi-plain glass lens, and aforementioned blue color are too modern.

(Side note: I didn't bother with the gimmicky remote control shown on the box, a switch on my dash is more ergonomically friendly/convenient/appropriate/dependable than a key fob for this purpose.)

I have a pair of Navigator NV 1055C WK that I have been planning to put on. They look like an older-looking version of the 526W's. I should slap them on soon...maybe just one first so I can compare.

Anyway maybe not, because I'm hoping to get these for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H71010321 ... B0002MA3OO
Hella Optilux H71010321 Model 2020 Dual Beam Halogen Fog/Driving Lamp Kit

They are two separate lights in one piece, a fog light on one side and a driving light on the other. Reviews are bad, saying that they don't seal well; but suitably warned I will simply seal them better myself (and at least one review reports success with that strategy). Reviews mostly don't describe light output. I feel like I could probably do well with these.

I'm also hoping to get these:
http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-WI-HL6A-465 ... B0006309WU
Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit
They are composite housings in the standard size to fit where my sealed beams fit. A minor amount of wiring, a couple standard 9003 bulbs (which could be Silverstars at a later date), and maybe then I'll shed some light on the situation.

/novel
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I wouldn't waste my time with Silverstars. I've tried them in the past in my 4Runner and I didn't see any improvement in light output. They have a blue coating on them to make them emit a "whiter" light, but as for actual light output, I didn't see an improvement. Plus, they have a short life span, lasting about a year on average.

That said, there are two viable options, depending upon your bulb size. First, look into HIR bulbs. The actual light output (lumens) of these bulbs is much greater than the original bulbs. The downside is that they are pricey and I think they are only made for one or two different bulb sizes, so you may or may not be able to find them for your particular application. I purchased a set for my 4Runner and they definitely made a noticeable difference. They also lasted about two years before they burned out, which is still much quicker than I had hoped.

Instead of buying another set, I decided to go with a hi-beam bulb modified to connect to my low-beam headlight connector. All that was needed was a small amount of trimming on the plastic bulb base/connector and it fit right in. You can find more information & instructions here:

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/hcivic88/4 ... rsion.html

This is by far the biggest bang for the buck. For the price of a set of bulbs (about $7 each), you get much greater light output without blinding oncoming drivers. I've been running this set-up in my 4Runner for about five years now.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote:I wouldn't waste my time with Silverstars. I've tried them in the past in my 4Runner and I didn't see any improvement in light output. They have a blue coating on them to make them emit a "whiter" light, but as for actual light output, I didn't see an improvement. Plus, they have a short life span, lasting about a year on average.

That said, there are two viable options, depending upon your bulb size. First, look into HIR bulbs. The actual light output (lumens) of these bulbs is much greater than the original bulbs. The downside is that they are pricey and I think they are only made for one or two different bulb sizes, so you may or may not be able to find them for your particular application. I purchased a set for my 4Runner and they definitely made a noticeable difference. They also lasted about two years before they burned out, which is still much quicker than I had hoped.

Instead of buying another set, I decided to go with a hi-beam bulb modified to connect to my low-beam headlight connector. All that was needed was a small amount of trimming on the plastic bulb base/connector and it fit right in. You can find more information & instructions here:

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/hcivic88/4 ... rsion.html

This is by far the biggest bang for the buck. For the price of a set of bulbs (about $7 each), you get much greater light output without blinding oncoming drivers. I've been running this set-up in my 4Runner for about five years now.
I will have to give that a try. Will that screw up my harness at all? Like make it burn or melt?

Also I wonder about the alignment. Since this car is so low I doubt it will effect anyone's eyes. The high beams definitely do. I should get them re-aligned.

What is nice about that is that you just modify the headlight, not the housing or plug.
theholycow wrote:^That does seem to be the common review.

This is a big issue for me. I encounter enough traffic that glare, one of my most important values, would be an issue so I can't just put in something ridiculously bright. I refuse to blind other drivers. It's also enough that the glare from other cars makes my eyes acclimate to brighter light. In a city this wouldn't be a problem as there'd be streetlights and other cars' headlights everywhere, but I drive through unlit forest roads with deer popping out from behind every tree...so I need extra light.

Exacerbating that situation, my car is equipped for sealed beam headlights. I like the concept but the execution is dim by today's standards. If everybody had them then my eyes would be less affected, but technology moved on in the 32 years since my car was made. So, I need to catch up to 32 years of the headlight arms race. My 2002 GMC's OEM headlights are fine -- although I'm always happy to augment my lighting and ran lots of extra lights on it for years, I've simplified to just the regular headlights lately and they suffice.

So, for my car I put in Navigator NV-526W driving lights and Sylvania Xtravision 4656 headlights.

I waited until dark and put one Xtravision in, then turned them on so I could compare to 32 year old basic headlights. I could barely detect the difference. I like to think there may be a difference that is just hard to detect in the yard but actually helps on the road...probably wishful thinking.

The driving lights definitely help but not the way I want. They don't quite project as far forward as I'd like but they add a lot of width and some height. They are neither like fog lights nor like this illustration of what driving lights ought to be:
(Found that in a google image search for NV526W.)

Before I drove it on the road I attempted to assess any potential for glare afflicted on other drivers by standing far away and walking towards the car. It's not scientific but it's what I was able to do. It's been 1 1/2 years and 30,000 miles and I've never been flashed so I suppose it's not glaring.

Those driving lights look anachronistic on my car, although the blue color of the lens (the light doesn't look blue, just the lens when turned off) matches my paint. The rounded corners, smoothish semi-plain glass lens, and aforementioned blue color are too modern.

(Side note: I didn't bother with the gimmicky remote control shown on the box, a switch on my dash is more ergonomically friendly/convenient/appropriate/dependable than a key fob for this purpose.)

I have a pair of Navigator NV 1055C WK that I have been planning to put on. They look like an older-looking version of the 526W's. I should slap them on soon...maybe just one first so I can compare.

Anyway maybe not, because I'm hoping to get these for Christmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H71010321 ... B0002MA3OO
Hella Optilux H71010321 Model 2020 Dual Beam Halogen Fog/Driving Lamp Kit

They are two separate lights in one piece, a fog light on one side and a driving light on the other. Reviews are bad, saying that they don't seal well; but suitably warned I will simply seal them better myself (and at least one review reports success with that strategy). Reviews mostly don't describe light output. I feel like I could probably do well with these.

I'm also hoping to get these:
http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-WI-HL6A-465 ... B0006309WU
Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit
They are composite housings in the standard size to fit where my sealed beams fit. A minor amount of wiring, a couple standard 9003 bulbs (which could be Silverstars at a later date), and maybe then I'll shed some light on the situation.

/novel
I was considering driving lights...but I really hate hacking up the wiring harness. It is a good option to try.

The thing that sucks in general is when someone is coming toward you and you need to dim the lights and you can't see jack anyways...So far my high beams are great, don't have too many problems. It's just when I need to use my low beams. That volunteer fire man scared me, it was concerning...and he was no young guy, facing his back against traffic.
six wrote:Silverstar Ultras are brighter and whiter than standard headlight bulbs. We used them in the family Ford Windstar; it's definitely whiter than the standard bulb but still "yellow" when compared to HIDs. However, they have a significantly shorter life than standard bulbs. Given their high price, it's a lose-lose unless you want the brighter light.
But I bet they eventually dim after a hours of use.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:I was considering driving lights...but I really hate hacking up the wiring harness. It is a good option to try.
No need for hacking anything. The driving lights are a standalone system, you just tap power wherever is neat and convenient...you can bolt on to your battery clamp or fusebox positive lug, use an add-a-fuse, tap a wire, whatever. If you go with a remote system (like the one I ignored) you don't even have to mount a switch.

As for high beam bulbs in your low beam housings: Generally, in my experience, there's plenty of spare capacity in the system. You can do the math easily enough...add up wattage of all lights that will be lit by a circuit (and any other of its loads), divide by 12, and you have amps. Compare to the fuse on the circuit. I do worry about glare with this strategy, though I have been considering it for a while. Glare isn't only about housings, reflectors, focus, and aim; it's also about how much light is coming out and how small the lens is.

bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I was considering driving lights...but I really hate hacking up the wiring harness. It is a good option to try.
No need for hacking anything. The driving lights are a standalone system, you just tap power wherever is neat and convenient...you can bolt on to your battery clamp or fusebox positive lug, use an add-a-fuse, tap a wire, whatever. If you go with a remote system (like the one I ignored) you don't even have to mount a switch.

As for high beam bulbs in your low beam housings: Generally, in my experience, there's plenty of spare capacity in the system. You can do the math easily enough...add up wattage of all lights that will be lit by a circuit (and any other of its loads), divide by 12, and you have amps. Compare to the fuse on the circuit. I do worry about glare with this strategy, though I have been considering it for a while. Glare isn't only about housings, reflectors, focus, and aim; it's also about how much light is coming out and how small the lens is.
I will have to take a look at those. It's just that the high beam lights in a low beam housing would be considerably cheaper. Probably 14 bucks for the whole thing. Like you say though, glare and all that. Plus I googled it and I found this thread.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3 ... rsion.html

One guy was mentioning it bouncing and going out of focus.

Shadow: Is this what your talking about? http://hirheadlights.com/
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, when you start mangling the mounting teeth on the bulb or housing or just making it fit there's a chance it won't stay secure.

There's one other issue to think about: Heat. Generally you'll be fine but it's possible that a brighter bulb will create more heat than the housing is designed to handle. I've taken my chances on the heat issue before and never had a problem but I haven't done it with low beam headlights, mainly I've done it with OEM fog lights (50W 885 bulb where a 27W 880 was OEM).

bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:Yeah, when you start mangling the mounting teeth on the bulb or housing or just making it fit there's a chance it won't stay secure.

There's one other issue to think about: Heat. Generally you'll be fine but it's possible that a brighter bulb will create more heat than the housing is designed to handle. I've taken my chances on the heat issue before and never had a problem but I haven't done it with low beam headlights, mainly I've done it with OEM fog lights (50W 885 bulb where a 27W 880 was OEM).
Im just worried about spending more money on headlamps that would not give me any edge...My lenses are glass, but the reflectors and such, your right.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

For your experiments with bulbs, why not get them from a self-service junkyard? $1/each, plus $2 entry fee at Henry's (and thanks to watkins for showing me that place). If you like the result but are concerned about driving around with used bulbs you then invest in brand new ones.

bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:For your experiments with bulbs, why not get them from a self-service junkyard? $1/each, plus $2 entry fee at Henry's (and thanks to watkins for showing me that place). If you like the result but are concerned about driving around with used bulbs you then invest in brand new ones.
Wait they have used bulbs?

Also I was wondering about modifying the housing and putting these lenses on. http://www.hidretrofits.com/ it'd be pretty good...but I think its worth it.

http://hondaswap.com/auto-multi-media/d ... ost1642447
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote: I will have to give that a try. Will that screw up my harness at all? Like make it burn or melt?
Nah, the difference is very small so nothing will burn or melt.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:I will have to take a look at those. It's just that the high beam lights in a low beam housing would be considerably cheaper. Probably 14 bucks for the whole thing. Like you say though, glare and all that. Plus I googled it and I found this thread.

Yes, those are the HIR bulbs. I was happy with them, but like I said, they are pricey and they don't have a long life expectancy.

As for modifying hi-beam bulbs, I never had any issues at all. No bouncing, no out of focus (whatever that means), no condensation in the light housings, nothing at all. Nobody flashes me because my lights are blinding them either. I kept the original headlight aiming and didn't mess with it at all.

Why not give it a try? You really have nothing to lose. It's just a matter of a little trimming of the plastic on the base of the bulb and you're all set. Oh, and you also have to add the larger o-ring off your old bulbs because the size of the hole is a little different. Now that I think about it, maybe that's why the guy was mentioning condensation. I swapped over the o-rings and never had a problem, even after five years of running the modded hi-beam bulbs.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I will have to take a look at those. It's just that the high beam lights in a low beam housing would be considerably cheaper. Probably 14 bucks for the whole thing. Like you say though, glare and all that. Plus I googled it and I found this thread.

Yes, those are the HIR bulbs. I was happy with them, but like I said, they are pricey and they don't have a long life expectancy.

As for modifying hi-beam bulbs, I never had any issues at all. No bouncing, no out of focus (whatever that means), no condensation in the light housings, nothing at all. Nobody flashes me because my lights are blinding them either. I kept the original headlight aiming and didn't mess with it at all.

Why not give it a try? You really have nothing to lose. It's just a matter of a little trimming of the plastic on the base of the bulb and you're all set. Oh, and you also have to add the larger o-ring off your old bulbs because the size of the hole is a little different. Now that I think about it, maybe that's why the guy was mentioning condensation. I swapped over the o-rings and never had a problem, even after five years of running the modded hi-beam bulbs.
Alright, I am going to give it a try. Plus they are like 6 bucks at walmart or something. Plus I will feel the wires and if they are red hot then I will stop.

I guess its a change of focus or some crap...Im sure you'd know if they were to bounce around if you wiggle the light around.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:
Shadow wrote:

Alright, I am going to give it a try. Plus they are like 6 bucks at walmart or something. Plus I will feel the wires and if they are red hot then I will stop.

I guess its a change of focus or some crap...Im sure you'd know if they were to bounce around if you wiggle the light around.
If you remember to add the o-ring, the bulbs should fit tightly. At least as tight as the originals did. And trust me, you are not going to melt anything. Your hi- and low-beam bulbs are wired with the same gauge wire, so if the hi-beam bulbs don't melt their wiring, then swapping a hi-beam bulb into the low-beam circuit isn't going to melt the wiring either.