Car covers

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Car covers

Post by padauk_dust »

Recently, my cat has taken a liking to scampering atop the BMW. This wouldn't be a huge issue; some minor scratching and annoying little paw prints all over the hood and roof - but nothing that can't be easily remedied.

The problem I have is that when the cat climbs on top of the car, my two fairly large dogs go after him. Running full speed, screeching to a halt, flinging rocks and dirt into the body of the car, they attempt to catch the cat. They usually start to climb the car at this point as well. Scratching the paint with their long nails as they struggle for grip against the shiny smooth bodywork. :x

This produces... unfavorable results.

I have tried to train them. They are quite well behaved in all other areas, and are very perceptive. They just lose their head when "hunting", you know? I don't even get mad at them anymore. But something must be done. (The funny thing is, the very next hour they will all be in a cuddle pile on the floor of the house. But the moment the cat goes outside, all goes to shit.)

So I've been thinking about a thick, semi-waterproof (the car is parked under a carport) car cover; the main purpose of which would be to prevent claws from scratching the paint. Any ideas/experiences? I'd love to hear them.

Subrella I've heard is a thick, canvas-like (boat sail-ish) material that seems like ti'd do well. I also thought about a big painter's tarp. Or just building walls around the carport.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Car covers

Post by theholycow »

I'd go with the walls or some sort of fence material. They only need to be high and low enough to keep the dogs out. With the cover you risk a dog's flying leap putting an actual dent in the car.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I'd think putting up a simple fence around it would be cheaper than building more permanent walls. I guess it depends on how much you care about the looks of the "structure."
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Black chain link fence is damn near invisible.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I don't think you'll find any car cover that will hold up to that. Keeping them away from it is the only thing likely to work.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

putting up a fence of some sort would also be a hell of alot easier on a day to day basis. the fence goes up once, thats it, you never have to worry about it again. the cover will have to be put on\taken off every time you get out\get in the car respectively.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

How about installing indivisible fencing around where you park the car. It may be enough to just put a collar around the cat's neck, if he's really what attracts the dogs. Else, put collars on the dogs as well.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Depending on the animal, invisible fencing can be useful or not at all. I've seen dogs that went right through invisible fences that they normally obey perfectly well because they were chasing a rabbit or something similar. I don't know how well they work on cats though... if they do, I'd be tempted to put one around the bed so the cat doesn't try to sleep on my face... :x
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
beowulf80
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 2SS Camaro

Post by beowulf80 »

Car covers really are not meant to be used on a daily driver. If you have any dirt on the car when you put the cover on, there's a good chance it'll scratch the paint a little bit and get into the cover. Do that a couple hundred times and it will not look good.

If the car is not a daily driver, a cover certainly could be used. With that said, I have a California Car Cover for the Camaro. It goes on in late fall and doesn't come off again until spring. The quality is good, the price was decent, I really like it. Mine is for indoor use only, but they make outdoor ones too.