Optimum No Rinse

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
cimbali
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW 328i

Optimum No Rinse

Post by cimbali »

Lately I have been using this product (Optimum No Rinse) and have been quite surprised with the results. It allows you to wash your car without using a hose. Any one here use this?

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/ ... rinse-onr/
BMW 328i e90

Re: Optimum No Rinse

Post by Shadow »

ONR is popular in the car detailing communities, but I'd never use it. I like to keep the paint on my vehicles swirl-free and I just don't believe that's possible without using water. I actually tried ONR once with my neighbor on his new black Nissan and we definitely had some light swirling after washing the driver's side door.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

paul34 wrote:I do! I've been using it for the past several years. I am an ONR believer. It's all I use on my car. Saves a lot of water, no water spots, I can wash with a closed garage door so no neighbors looking at me (or wash your car at 3 AM!), or rain, or heat/sun issues. When it's cold, you can put hot water in the bucket which is nice.
Shadow wrote:ONR is popular in the car detailing communities, but I'd never use it. I like to keep the paint on my vehicles swirl-free and I just don't believe that's possible without using water. I actually tried ONR once with my neighbor on his new black Nissan and we definitely had some light swirling after washing the driver's side door.
It is possible. Did you follow the instructions? If you don't put enough in it's not going to work. It's scary the first few times because it is difficult to believe, but it works fine.

The procedure listed in the link above is quite careful. I am not that involved in my ONR technique. It's not necessary, although I'm sure it is better.

I use one bucket, one mitt, and about three drying towels, although I don't usually the third one. The wheels get washed last, with separate, dedicated towels that I use only on wheels/wheel wells/engine bay duty, etc.
Yes, followed the instructions, but there was still light swirling on the paint. Again, it was black paint, which shows swirls easier than any other color. I also noticed you are in Florida. I'm in New York. We have tons of road salt on our vehicles at this time of the year and it's very abrasive stuff. I'll never use ONR on any of my vehicles, but I guess it's a good option for those who are willing to take the chance. It's just not for me.
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

I use a no rinse product for quick washes. It is called Detailers Pride rinseless wash and gloss. I get no swirls after using it, even if the car is fairly dirty. I use 3 towels, one very plush one to wash the car, and 2 to dry it. This minimizes the chance of swirls.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I usually rinse with water and then spit it out.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

paul34 wrote:You know what I realized... the bottle of car shampoo I used to use has been sitting in my detailing stuff bin for over two years now. Unused.

also, rinseless washes are so much quicker... at least for me. I am always running back with a regular wash, because water spots have formed or because the soap/water has already dried out.
I use no rinse products in the winter, and save full washes for the warm days. :D
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't wash the goat in the winter. It just sits in the garage not driven.

I want to drive it now.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650