Possible Swirl Marks?

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Possible Swirl Marks?

Post by AHTOXA »

Technically you could use just one bucket with the soap solution and then rinse the sponge and the car with the hose. This way your soap bucket will stay clean.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rinsing your sponge/mitt/whatever with the hose is the better choice if you're the sort who cares enough to go to all the effort of using two buckets. The second bucket will quickly get contaminated with the crap you're rinsing off of your sponge/mitt/whatever.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

paul34 wrote:Because when you dip your sponge/mitt/whatever into the bucket, if you are using one bucket, you are picking up the old grit that you washed off and scrubbing it back on when you soap up another section. Unless you rinse after each swipe and totally wash out your sponge, and dump out, wash, and refill the bucket each time.
hmmm interesting.

now i need another bucket. and i get weird looks. lol.

my family also wants me to use dish soap....but i refuse. so i made them buy car soap :) they did...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

There was a bucket in our garage when we moved into our house. I use 2, but I still spray the wash mitt down for extra measure. I can't wait for the warm weather so I can actually hand wash my car. These automated car washes are terrible.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

I usually spend one whole day to wash and detail my car.
Its a PITA.
After all that work to keep my car free of swirls for 2 years (2 buckets, doing one panel at a time)
dealer washes my car one time eventhough I told them not to and BAM! my car is full of swirl marks.
after that I gave up and did not wash my car for like what 3 months, and started going to touchless washes lol
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

kayubassist wrote:I usually spend one whole day to wash and detail my car.
Its a PITA.
After all that work to keep my car free of swirls for 2 years (2 buckets, doing one panel at a time)
dealer washes my car one time eventhough I told them not to and BAM! my car is full of swirl marks.
after that I gave up and did not wash my car for like what 3 months, and started going to touchless washes lol
A lot of new cars start out with swirl marks that were a "free" gift from the detail guys who prep the car for delivery. When I purchased my A5, I specifically told them not to wash the car. I even told them not to remove the protective plastic on the paint. I drove the car home with the wrappers all over it, inside and out. Then I removed everything at home and carefully washed it by hand. My car will never see an automated car wash and dealership personnel will never wash it. That's the only way to ensure that it will stay free of swirls or paint blemishes.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ You know your car is not a virgin, right? Some guy in the plant had sex with your defroster duct on his lunch break. Oh, and you don't wanna know where the shifter was when he was giving it to the defroster duct.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"