Light clear coat scratches

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
Roymond
Senior Standardshifter

Light clear coat scratches

Post by Roymond »

It appears I may have a couple light clear coat scratches so far. Obviously I want to fix this. What is the best method of doing it?

Should I get Mequiar's Scratch X 2.0? or is there a better way of doing it?
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Re: Light clear coat scratches

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

For now just keep it waxed to fill those in, but as far as fixing it... I know there are a few compounds that can fill the clear in, but I wouldn't know which are the best.
Roymond
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Roymond »

I tried the Mequiar's and it seems to work fine. You can't tell that they are there anymore and if they are they are very very fine. Still POed at my roommates for scratching it though.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I would wetsand with something like a 2000 grit, then use a buffing compound on top. This way I have gotten rid of quite severe scratches on the clearcoat. That scratch-x stuff and the like usually works OK until you see the scratch come back in a little while. Sanding and buffing is a permanent solution for minor scratches.

If you do buff, make sure you know what you're doing or ask someone that does. It can be easy to "burn" the paint by buffing too hard/too fast and heating it up.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

AHTOXA wrote:I would wetsand with something like a 2000 grit, then use a buffing compound on top. This way I have gotten rid of quite severe scratches on the clearcoat. That scratch-x stuff and the like usually works OK until you see the scratch come back in a little while. Sanding and buffing is a permanent solution for minor scratches.

If you do buff, make sure you know what you're doing or ask someone that does. It can be easy to "burn" the paint by buffing too hard/too fast and heating it up.
This. Here is a video demonstrating the above technique.

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Roymond did say he had scratches. In my experience none of the scratch-removal off the shelf stuff worked for clearcoat scratches.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650