EXPERT FAQ/ADVICE/KNOW HOW ON CARE

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
Machin19dXvida
Junior Standardshifter

EXPERT FAQ/ADVICE/KNOW HOW ON CARE

Post by Machin19dXvida »

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to know if there is/are FAQ's, walkthroughs, or advice on doing a monthly check on your vehicle, descriptions and steps with be great with pictures, diagrams, drawings and even video if possible.

I am new to cars, but my 00 Honda EX has great potential and I would love to learn from looking at the different parts of my car.

A few months ago the starter switch went and I was left on the street a couple of block from my apartment. The mechanic plus towing pretty much robbed me since i ended up paying close to $300 just to get a starter switch or the switch itself fixed. As you can see I was and am new to cars but I would love to get into it and even change my own oil someday, if there are walkthoughs on oil change please let me know too.

I love my car and it has taken me many places and so I would like to take care of it the best way possible, I am very happy to drive standard.

Thank you for all your professionalism in answering to this post and for your much sharing of useful and helpful information.

Clutch in, shift, clutch out GOOO, happy shifting since shift happens!!!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Re: EXPERT FAQ/ADVICE/KNOW HOW ON CARE

Post by RITmusic2k »

Welcome!

The best suggestion I can make is for you to look for an enthusiast forum for your particular make and model... often times members at these sites put up FAQs and do-it-yourself howto's, all of which will be more relatable to your car than the general advice you'd get from us.

On that note, what are you driving? Bonus points for posted pictures!
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

i would highly recommend that you get a haynes manual
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Machin19dXvida
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Machin19dXvida »

Honda Civic 2000
Five Speed Manual
1.6L Front Wheel Drive
All Stock

Are there manuals like the one mentioned, online for free?
What are good site online that provide helpful information?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Welcome. Some basic car care walk-throughs by a quality site: http://clunkbucket.com/category/car-care/
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

again, $20 for a haynes manual will help you a lot in the long run.

car-specific forums, as RITmusic2k mentioned, are a great resource also.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Machin19dXvida
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Machin19dXvida »

Thanks, Where could I find a manual like that? Can I buy it online? And do they come specifically for the year of my car?
Machin19dXvida
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Machin19dXvida »

thanks for the website and the information people it really helps out, now i know i am in the correct community. Many thanks for the welcome's also :) much appreciated.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The Haynes manual (or its most common competitor Chilton's) can be found at an auto parts store, an online book seller, or your local library.

There is plenty of information on the internet for repairing Civics. There's web pages and there's downloadable books all over the place. It's the most popular car on the internet.
http://www.redpepperracing.com/technical/main.php <--I don't think that one covers the 2000 model, it looks like it only goes up to 1998.

Additionally, you can read online service manuals at the websites of major auto parts store chains like AutoZone, and you might have access to the EBSCOHost Auto Repair Reference Center through your local library's website.
http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm
http://www.ebscohost.com/thisTopic.php? ... marketID=6
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Machin19dXvida
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Machin19dXvida »

I would also like to see what you guys are driving. Photos of the cars would be great.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

vedran wrote:i would highly recommend that you get a haynes manual
+ OVER 9,000!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

chiltons blows. i bought a chiltons book for my mazda and it is absolutely terrible in describing how to do ANYTHING. i will never buy a chiltons book again
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

You can check the Chilton's content at the AutoZone and ARRC online manuals, which are exactly the same content, before deciding if you want a Chilton's book or not. I wish there was a complete collection of free Haynes material somewhere like that...let alone free AllData or online Helm manuals.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

comingbackdown wrote:
vedran wrote:i would highly recommend that you get a haynes manual
+ OVER 9,000!
Haynes manuals suck. They dont tell you the information you need to know - like torque specs for important parts - but do give you completely useless data on things like how many clowns will fit into the glove box.

That said, the basic wiring diagrams and a few other bits of information can come in rather handy
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Machin19dXvida wrote:Good Afternoon,

I wanted to know if there is/are FAQ's, walkthroughs, or advice on doing a monthly check on your vehicle, descriptions and steps with be great with pictures, diagrams, drawings and even video if possible.

I am new to cars, but my 00 Honda EX has great potential and I would love to learn from looking at the different parts of my car.

A few months ago the starter switch went and I was left on the street a couple of block from my apartment. The mechanic plus towing pretty much robbed me since i ended up paying close to $300 just to get a starter switch or the switch itself fixed. As you can see I was and am new to cars but I would love to get into it and even change my own oil someday, if there are walkthoughs on oil change please let me know too.

I love my car and it has taken me many places and so I would like to take care of it the best way possible, I am very happy to drive standard.

Thank you for all your professionalism in answering to this post and for your much sharing of useful and helpful information.

Clutch in, shift, clutch out GOOO, happy shifting since shift happens!!!
Hope this helps ya amigo :wink:
http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals?SID ... 14fe962b31
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2053807 (Service Intervals. Get yourself a notebook and keep your receipts)
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1998336 (DIY's and a list of seller sites. I've bought stuff from the honda parts store with good results)
Your car would be located in the first gray block of links for the spooner tuner link I provided
I've been using these along with alldatadiy.com. Lemme know if this helps you
BTW, I test drove a similar EX before I found my Si, whereabouts you located?

1st thing I suggest you do is change the tranny fluid and the oil. Both are really easy to do if you can follow simple directions. Only extra thing you need for the transmission fluid change is a torque wrench.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.