clear coat removal and redo

What to do to keep your car looking and running like new, inside and out.
skylark
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1991 honda civic- 4 speed

clear coat removal and redo

Post by skylark »

Hi i need some help with my cars clear coat. I have a 95 jetta. Its black and I believe its the original paint job. My problem is that the clear coat is coming off. Right now there is a line of white around the car were the clear coat is coming off. the Top part of the car is paint and the bottom is clearcoat. The paint is fine. Some one said it just needs to be waxed and it would look like new. Is there a way to fix this with out repainting or even just reclearcoat the part of the car that doesn't have clear coat? I may be able to get pictures soon. thanks
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: clear coat removal and redo

Post by AHTOXA »

If the clearcoat is coming off, in my opinion the only viable option is a repaint. There is nothing that wax will do to a pealing coat. I don't think there is any other viable solution.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

i'm sanding back my bumpers clearcoat cause some of the clearcoat was ripped off. but meh prolly end up repainting and clearing it. otherwise the paint will get too thin...
<3 fwd
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

paul34 wrote:You have it backwards. On a cleared finish, the top coat is always the clearcoat, and the base coat is the actual colored coat.

The only way to repair a failed clear is to completely sand and repaint the affected panels. If its all over your car, you're looking at at least $5k, more like $10k+ for a completely, quality repaint of the entire car. Anything cheaper and that's going to be a Macco-ed job.
Or one you did yourself that makes Maaco look as pathetic as it actually is. That's my plan, man.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

those 3m clear plastic things ripped some clear off my bumper..... so to make the new clear not look weird i have to sand my whole bumper rid of the clear and re clear it.
<3 fwd