Leedeth's 1992 Mazda MX-3 RS

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

comingbackdown wrote:I see a jack stand. Nice. 8)
Ya man, always. Safety first, in case the jack fails.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rear bar looks nice. Good job fitting it in.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

um...ur car aint gonna go anywhere unless u put some wheelz on it...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

nice job on the back bar, looks very clean in there.

i hear ya on the 4 banger mazda oil filter spot. i was doing an engine swap in a contour, the filter is right in that same spot, up above the intermideate shaft and the downpipes.

zetec is a fantastic motor, but mazda was thinking out their ass with the filter spot.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

hockeystyx16 wrote:nice job on the back bar, looks very clean in there.

i hear ya on the 4 banger mazda oil filter spot. i was doing an engine swap in a contour, the filter is right in that same spot, up above the intermideate shaft and the downpipes.

zetec is a fantastic motor, but mazda was thinking out their ass with the filter spot.
There's one of those on every car...
Like my gear oil dipstick is to the point that I have to lay over the engine, put my hand in one gap between lines and wires, and look through another gap between lines and wires to even see to get it out... Real smart, Chevy... Real freakin' smart.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

comingbackdown wrote:There's one of those on every car...
Mine, thankfully, is just my belt burried under my airbox on the passenger's side. Theres probably other weird things I just dont know about yet.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

I just vacuumed my car, and washed it. Washed the wheels as well, but left the tires as the tire shine is still good.

I also bent my license plate Euro-style just like that Legacy with the BC plate. It now looks awesome, unlike the bent plate look. I like how it hides the screws as well.

I still need to bend it a bit more to be more flush with the bumper, but it's good for now.

I bent the bottom back onto itself, then I bent the top 90 degrees. Screwed that onto the bumper and bent it the rest of the way down.

It's still un-waxed but I'll eventually do a full detailing so that'll wait.

Glamour shots!

hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

hell yea, looks tons better, now you need to get some clear corners, or to clear yours.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Clear the corners I have now? How?

And if I'm going to get clear corners do you think I should also clear the front side markers, right behind the corners? And what about the rear side markers. Should I clear it out all around, just do the corners, or just do the front?
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

if you go clear, go clear all around, otherwise having all clear corners and 1 orange corner or a reflector would look weird. back reflectors you could leave red, i think when you look at the back of the car, seeing red tails and red reflectors would flow better than having red tails and clear reflectors.

for most corners and stuff, they are glued together, and they are just a regular light assembly with a piece of orange plastic glued in the middle. you can heat it up with a heat gun (or a powerful hairdryer, but a heat gun will be a lot better), pry it apart, pull out the orange piece and glue it back up. this is how some people with probes cleared their stock corners. i bought a set of clears from ebay tho.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Cross post. :P

Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Re: Leedeth's 1992 Mazda MX-3 RS

Post by Leedeth »

I finally changed my air filter.

March 27, 2008 244,550

-Changed air filter, Fram Extra Life #CA7368 ($35.18)

Unfortunately Wal-Mart doesn't carry my specific filter, so I got it from Canadian Tire. Damn expensive filter at that, most of them were 20-30.

I took it out for a test drive, and it released quite a bit of power. It's most noticeable between 2-4k RPM. Throttle response is improved greatly. It's also most noticeable at city speeds rather than highway speeds. It must've freed up about 10 ft.lbs., because it does pull slightly harder.

I have never changed the air filter on my car. I don't know how long it had been sitting there when I got the car, but it's probably been in there for ages. As you can see, the filter is pretty much dead. It doesn't look quite as bad in real life, but it's still pretty bad. The air flows from the bottom up, so you can see that the filter really is screwed over.

When I held it up to a light, the old filter let almost no light through at all. Damn.

comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Leedeth wrote:I finally changed my air filter.

March 27, 2008 244,550

-Changed air filter, Fram Extra Life #CA7368 ($35.18)

Unfortunately Wal-Mart doesn't carry my specific filter, so I got it from Canadian Tire. Damn expensive filter at that, most of them were 20-30.

I took it out for a test drive, and it released quite a bit of power. It's most noticeable between 2-4k RPM. Throttle response is improved greatly. It's also most noticeable at city speeds rather than highway speeds. It must've freed up about 10 ft.lbs., because it does pull slightly harder.

I have never changed the air filter on my car. I don't know how long it had been sitting there when I got the car, but it's probably been in there for ages. As you can see, the filter is pretty much dead. It doesn't look quite as bad in real life, but it's still pretty bad. The air flows from the bottom up, so you can see that the filter really is screwed over.

When I held it up to a light, the old filter let almost no light through at all. Damn.

Wow, man.
Just, wow... That shit's baaaaaaaaaaaad...
Mine hasn't been changed in at least a year, and it's still functional... but... wow...
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Dude get a CAI already, the gay restrictive stock airbox ain't helping you. Just need some pipe and the filter easy as pie.
<3 fwd
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Bawked wrote:Dude get a CAI already, the gay restrictive stock airbox ain't helping you. Just need some pipe and the filter easy as pie.
CAI won't help that car... Some earlier post somewhere confirms that... It wouldn't help much other than pushing the powerband higher into the rpm range, which isn't good on a four banger like that one. I think mine might take that effect, since I can launch at about 1000 steady revs with no problem. I'd just have to rev a bit higher, like 1200-1600 tops.