Finally got another car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Finally got another car

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:And yeah, in New England if you want to get there fast then a low-clearance sporty car is NOT a good choice with all the slowing for bumps and such.
I lowered my car. I still have plenty of clearance. I want to go lower :twisted:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

never understood the ground clearance issues people have. unless you have a supercar or lowered your car too much (does it scrape, bra??), eye don't think you should have problems on at least the main roads, around here at least. weird steep driveways and speedbumps may be a problem, but you just have to slow down for those.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:but you just have to slow down for those.
That's what I'm talking about.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

"Just slowing down for those," isn't always easy or safe. To avoid scraping my wife's Focus over the speed bumps in her addition, you have to slow to about 5. It will even scrape in a few places going over expansion joints in interstate highways.

Where one road that gets plowed intersects with another that doesn't, it's also nice not to "plow" the ridge of slush/snow/ice along the edge of the road with the nose of the vehicle.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

My brother's driveway has one of the couplings where the road dips a little and the edge of the driveway pulls up, forming a pretty gross V. You have to attack it at an odd angle to avoid scraping. I've scraped Malcolm's chin more than once, making me sad.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:My brother's driveway has one of the couplings where the road dips a little and the edge of the driveway pulls up, forming a pretty gross V. You have to attack it at an odd angle to avoid scraping. I've scraped Malcolm's chin more than once, making me sad.
Some times it help to back up the driveway and to cross the dip with the car skewed, so only one tyre at a time rolls over it.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I just feel so much better not having to worry about ruining the front clip of my car as I pull into these driveways. Plus, sometimes it's hard to align yourself perfectly. Especially if you need to break through traffic.

The low profile tires are another thing. Especially with the way roads are. Though it's funny. I'm seeing trucks, cars and SUVs all have lowered front clips to aid in fuel efficiency. There's a guy with a truck where I work, the front clip has the same amount of ground clearance as the Taurus Police car that parks near it.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed