New beater truck

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

New beater truck

Post by dakta1420 »

I bought a 2000 sonoma 2.2 5speed. Runs good but it's not perfect body is the worst part engine and transmission are good interior is good. And I only paid 1750.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: New beater truck

Post by theholycow »

Looks great in that pic, especially for that price.

How's the undercarriage? Check those brake lines for rust.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Nice, just like my 2001! You are going to love that truck!! :mrgreen:

Now I'm not the only one with a S-10/Sonoma!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

Pictures look better than in reality. It's not real bad but it has its fair share of scratches and the passenger side back fender had rust so the previous owner tried to fix it.....looks partially done and painted but needs more work. Interior is clean. Over all I'm happy with it.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

If it runs well and you like it, then it is a GREAT truck! I drove ClutchDisc's S10 and it is a lot of fun driving. Has decent bottom end and while he shares the same rear end ratio as my Ranger, the S10 had about 8 percent deeper first and second gears. The shift pattern is a W not an H as in the Ford. I had a hard time finding 3rd in the S10 until I got the W concept in mind. Also have to think about putting it in first (push left against strong spring and then forward) or it is very easy to try starting in 3rd, but that is the W, come straight back out of first and you are in second, go straight forward out of 2nd and you have 3rd. If you try to jog over for 3rd you will miss it. Nice truck though, just a different pattern or should i say, same pattern, just smoother shifting once you get the W down. Love that it is a pusrod engine too. Good old school tech does just fine in my book. Yeah, I enjoy wringing out the DOHC 16-Valve 4 popper in the Ranger but my next one will be old school, maybe even a flathead!

Just to beat Rope Pusher to it on the flat head thing:

That's not me by the way. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

What is the rear end ratio do you know kinda interested in knowing that. I kept missing 3rd and going to 4th I would hit second. I caught myself and stopped it but it's easy to do. Very tight pattern
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

3.73 rear end on mine. Yea, the shift pattern is kinda tight, but you'll get used to it.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote: Yeah, I enjoy wringing out the DOHC 16-Valve 4 popper in the Ranger but my next one will be old school, maybe even a flathead!

Just to beat Rope Pusher to it on the flat head thing:

That's not me by the way. :lol:
That ain't a flat head.

THIS is a flat head:
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

looks good dakta (doctor??) 8)

i have a question - are these compact pickups ok for occasionally moving furniture (as in heavy furniture from the mid-1900s), or would i need to move up to a fullsize truck to fit or have the power to pull furniture and stuff?? i ask because my sister is getting a new house and i might get a truck to help move stuff around.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Yes. My friend used to use his Ranger to move all kinds of crap including heavy furniture.

OP, looks good side from having no headlights. You might want to fix that. :lol:

CD, count that as three cousins in the family of S-10ness. Although according to my title I have a T-10 Blazer.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

A beater truck is a good idea, but here in the land of Texas all trucks command a premium, especially 4x4 trucks. I just couldn't bring myself to get a 4x2 truck, it has to be 4x4. It's one of those things...
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:looks good dakta (doctor??) 8)

i have a question - are these compact pickups ok for occasionally moving furniture (as in heavy furniture from the mid-1900s), or would i need to move up to a fullsize truck to fit or have the power to pull furniture and stuff?? i ask because my sister is getting a new house and i might get a truck to help move stuff around.
Furniture like that will fill the entire bed and weigh 400 pounds, like having two average dudes in the back seat of a car/SUV. If you are good at Tetris, it's ancient solid oak furniture, and you have really strong assistants you might manage to stack 750 pounds of it. You'll not only be within a reasonable load weight but you'll even be legal.

The problem, in fact, will be fitting enough furniture in it. Furniture is bulky and awkward. Compacts were available with a few different length beds; you could get one of the longer ones, I think they reached about 7 feet (if you don't count the Dakota, which depending on your classification system might be compact or mid-size). Full size pickups with 8 foot beds will fit a little more. Your best bet, though, is a trailer. Full-size pickups have a larger advantage for furniture once trailers are in play.

Power isn't an issue at all. Even the weakest I4 car/SUV can haul 1200 pounds of people around, and a compact pickup isn't too heavy. Even if it was, you MUST accelerate slowly anyway when you've got furniture stacked high and Granny on her rocking chair strapped to the top of the pile.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:....you MUST accelerate slowly anyway when you've got furniture stacked high and Granny on her rocking chair strapped to the top of the pile.
:lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Do like Watson Did:

Build yourselph a trailer
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

sorry but not getting a trailer, let alone hitching it up to my hitchless jetta. sister's house deal cancelled by sister after radon test came back way higher than acceptable. on top of that, the roof is shot (we knew that going in, despite the bank allegedly not knowing), there are significant structural issues and the neighbors are annoying.