little things to do to my car

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: little things to do to my car

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
theholycow wrote:
monkeyhunk wrote:My shift knob doesn't screw off. Some research dug up some people saying if you pull on it for all you're worth you might get it but be careful not to sock yourself in the mouth. One guy talked of using a dye to thread the shifter to accept conventional knobs. Ridiculous.....
You're probably supposed to remove the lever from the car, attach it to a workbench, and use a puller or press of some sort...and you could probably rig something to operate similarly in the car, thereby avoiding punching yourself in the face. If nothing else you could build a long lever and stand outside the car at the end of it with the other end on a block on the seat.
No, you literally just pull it off. Official Chrysler instructions:
"1. Firmly pull up on gearshift knob (1) to remove from the gearshift mechanism (2)."

What we do when a shifter knob or transfer case shifter knob is particularly feisty is loosely clamp vice grips around the shifter lever and hit them up with a hammer. The knob pops right off
That depends on what year your car is. If the knob is tall and separate from the boot, like this one:
It is meant to be replaceable in service.
Later years used a knob which was not meant to be serviceable. The knob is more bulbous. The top of the lever has a knurled section that the knob is pressed onto. You can squeeze the knob in a vise to crack it apart and then you're on your own as far as adapting some other shift knob to the lever. Maybe something with set-screws, glued-on, or with a threaded insert and a lock-nut (you'll have to tap threads into the top of the lever).
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

dakta1420 wrote:Does my saturns just pull off?
I think it's like my S-10, in which case I believe it might screw off.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

You can drive into snow banks until your front bumper cracks, back into friends's cars and then clear your roof of snow with a gravel embedded shovel. That's what I did.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

potownrob wrote:You can drive into snow banks until your front bumper cracks, back into friends's cars and then clear your roof of snow with a gravel embedded shovel. That's what I did.
There are people who light theirs on fire for insurance money too. That doesn't make it a good modification.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:You can drive into snow banks until your front bumper cracks, back into friends's cars and then clear your roof of snow with a gravel embedded shovel. That's what I did.
:lol: Sounds like a regular day in my life.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

watkins wrote:What we do when a shifter knob or transfer case shifter knob is particularly feisty is loosely clamp vice grips around the shifter lever and hit them up with a hammer. The knob pops right off
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote:That depends on what year your car is.
I looked it up for a 2009, which is what his sig says his car is. Unless something is a 2008, we both know that things are generally simple enough.
Last edited by watkins on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

monkeyhunk wrote:
There are people who light theirs on fire for insurance money too. That doesn't make it a good modification.
not to derail the inherent humor in this and other posts, but i want to make it clear that none of my above-mentioned modifications were done on purpose :o :oops: :( 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:
monkeyhunk wrote:
not to derail the inherent humor in this and other posts, but i want to make it clear that none of my above-mentioned modifications were done on purpose :o :oops: :( 8)
I have lost all respect for you.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

^^^ I like this guy.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

:lol: :lol: :lol: