Alfa Buys a BMW; Loses Two Wheels

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Alfa Buys a BMW; Loses Two Wheels

Post by AHTOXA »

Cos, I think a 250 would be a great starter bike for you. I saw a guy the other day on a Honda 250 RR. He was about your size, and it didn't look comical - was proportionally correct - you could say. Me, however, that would be a different story.

I still want a bike as well. Very much so.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:He was about your size, and it didn't look comical - was proportionally correct - you could say. Me, however, that would be a different story.
Hay, if you can turn a bicycle frame up-side down, you can do it with a motorcycle, right?

...or just buy a bigon'
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Enjoy the two wheeled mechanized transport.

Mine is in winter hibernation mode... A bit jealous.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

So remember the short rant I had about the stealership "fixing" the headlight? Well, I finally fixed their blunder last Saturday. Really easy to do...

...one you take the entire goddamn bike apart.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Congrats on the sick Beemer! Cop bikes are rad as hell.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

AHTOXA wrote:Cos, I think a 250 would be a great starter bike for you. I saw a guy the other day on a Honda 250 RR. He was about your size, and it didn't look comical - was proportionally correct - you could say. Me, however, that would be a different story.

Yea, I rode a buddy's 250 Nighthawk a year or two ago. It was a blast, I would definitely love one.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Nice bike! Side note, and the reason why I'm reviving this thread because it reminded me..

Someone at my dealership took in a probably 20+ year old Mercedes 300 diesel! I think it was a 300, I only got a quick glance at it as it drove past. Traded it in on a new FJ Cruiser of all things...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

I don't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but after I cleaned out the throttle bodies, the engine ended up running really unevenly, although it did idle at the prescribed 1150rpm instead of a very rough and chuggy 850. However, it began having the classic BMW boxer hunting/surging. I thought getting the two throttle bodies in sync would stop it, but of course it didn't, although it did benefit greatly from it. Some research online turned up some evidence that a bad O2 sensor could cause it, so I figured why not, a universal 4-wire is cheap enough (compared to the $130-150 everyone wanted for the original BMW).

I did learn however, that BMW decided to put the sensor in quite possibly the least accessible place on the bike necessitating removal of the entire catalytic converter and muffler, which once I got the clamp undone and the one mount bolt off wasn't hard at all. The accessibility problem led me to believe the sensor hadn't seen the light of day for about ten years, so what could it hurt? They also typically give up the ghost around 30-35k, and the bike has 48k on it, so the odds are all against it.

This is the one that came out, which, predictably, looks exactly like the factory one the guy who wrote the guide I was following pulled out of an R1150GS.

I'd imagine the little tit on the end of it couldn't possibly measure very well anyway, so I went for the cheaper, universal replacement with the fluting in it that probably could get a better sniff of the exhaust. BMW also decided to make it just that much more difficult to replace it by putting the sensor on the end of a 30-ish inch lead and the connector up underneath the gas tank, which is a big operation to remove.

Bosch was so kind to provide a really cool little splicing box for the universal sensors that made this operation a breeze. Literally the hardest part of installation was stripping the wires.

RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Did the new O2 sensor solve the problem?
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

RITmusic2k wrote:Did the new O2 sensor solve the problem?
:lol: Whoops, after all that I forgot to mention whether it worked or not.
Yes, just idling after it warmed up it had eliminated 95% of the surging. I can only attribute the rest to the fact that the Motronic is a learning EMS and in all of this the system did get reset a couple of times. And I can't yet ride it so it can re-learn all the sensor attributes or whatever it does.