The dreaded leak was eliminated. It was a compound leak, I suppose you can call it that. It was leaking around the valve cover and around the rear main. I was puzzled when I replaced the rear main and it still leaked, but apparently it was leaking by the firewall and was dripping down and making it look like it was all coming from the rear main seal.
To elaborate on the valve cover gasket and why the previous person that installed it was an idiot.
When I went to take off the valve cover, most of the bolts could be unscrewed by hand! I mean, I would put the socket and the extension on it and just proceed to twist it off. Odd. When I was putting it all back together, there was no stripped threads or bolts. In addition to that, by the rear of the block, inches from the firewall, the seal was actually protruding out. When I removed the cover, I saw that along the length of about an inch, there was no seal along the perimeter. The seal was poking out the back and it was leaking like an SOB.
Now I need to pick a weekend and make a trip to a JY.
- driver seat
- front plastic grill and trim
- a rear wipe assembly (mainly the arm itself)
- perhaps a hood if I can find one in the same color
- two front turn signals. The ones on now are ok, but one of the mounting clips is broken on each. I like things tight.