six's 2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: six's 2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S

Post by watkins »

Duct tape, Velcro, and bungee cords
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

I've never had problems just letting the box sit in the trunk. They tend to be heavy enough to stay put.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

^ If that's the case, I'll just place a couple strips of industrial velco beneath the sub to really keep it there. :)

Don't really want to encounter a "special" situation, then have the sub move and rip out all the wiring. :(
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

If you stick the hard side of the velcro to the box, it may hook into the carpet on its own well enough. You can staple it to the box if its adhesive is lame.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

I've seen a few more of these on the road recently. They really are really sharp cars. I am totally jealous of you right now. You better be enjoying it :P :lol: .
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

^ Oh hell yeah I'm enjoying it :D . The only gripe I have is with all that power to the front wheels, I'm chirping the tires all over the place! Oh yeah, and lack of bass.

And thanks for the velcro tips, guys :)
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Sub is installed. Just a pre-fab 8", nothing too major. My car bumps now!

Really filled out the bottom end, added a whole new dimension to the audio in the CL. I love it :)
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

So, the Acura is at 116,000 miles now, and it's still on the original clutch. What I am thinking is, it's probably on its last legs...

The clutch on the Acura is pretty stiff, but I plan on making it even stiffer with a Stage 1 clutch (+LWFW) when it comes time to replace it, which shouldn't be long. The LWFW will be needed because the stock flywheel seems to be made out of heaviassinum and weights a gazillion pounds. What do you think? Would that hurt driveability too much? I am actually itching for the clutch to wear out, because even though it's still sporty, the clutch engagement is way too soft, and the flywheel carries way too much momentum.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

I say go lightweight and don't look back. It's not *that* much of an adjustment, at least, not one you aren't already well-capable of making, being an experienced stickshifter... And grabbiness might increase, but pedal effort will not necessarily. It's dependent on the pressure plate. My clutch pedal got lighter when I went stage 3. I don't understand why (unless there was something very wrong with the previous setup)... but it did.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

^ Wow, you got Stage 3? And a lightweight flywheel? Props to you, man 8)

Clutchmasters makes a kit for my car that includes everything, Stage 1 clutch disc, pressure plate, all necessary hardware, and a lightweight aluminum flywheel. It's rad, I will get this kit when the current clutch wears out. It's too bad they don't make a Stage 2 kit for the CL, otherwise I would go for that instead. It goes from Stage 1 directly to Stage 3 with the segmented carbon-kevlar discs. Stage 1 is still probably too wimpy, but Stage 3 is a little too far for me.

How are your experiences with a Stage 3 clutch? Should I spring for that instead?
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

In all honesty, it's way more clutch than my car needs in its current configuration; when it was time to get all the works replaced, I had every intention to upgrade the car's output to substantially-higher-than-stock levels, and I wanted all the supporting equipment in place before I began any ECU reprogramming. As of yet, I haven't done any of that tuning, but she's ready to go once I do.

The setup is as such: stage 3 clutch is race carbon six puck w/ sprung hub, flywheel is aluminum at 7.5lb (stock flywheel weight of 15.4lbs). As far as the daily experience goes, it's no less driveable than it was before, it idles smoothly, but I have to slip a little longer from a start (I could either launch from a higher rpm, or launch at low rpms and take longer to do it; I usually choose the latter). Most times, it chatters on launch.... at least, it's probably what most people would call chatter, but it's actually a loud groan that can persist for several seconds, depending on how well I'm modulating it. It's not damaging anything... just noise pollution... so it's really a matter of me being willing to let neighboring motorists believe my car is dying a horrible death for a few seconds at every launch. Once you're rolling, there's no difference between it and a stock setup.

It grabs fast and hard, but it's still able to slip just fine, it just does so within a much narrower range, and it's usually accompanied by the groaning.

The flywheel is interesting because it doesn't behave consistently on rev-down. This is entirely due to the fact that I haven't yet modified my ECU software; sometimes it spins down slowly, because the engine is still managing spindown by tweaking the fuel flow, and other times, it drops like a rock. It depends on how much throttle I had been giving it before the shift, and which gears I'm shifting from. It tends to coast down slowly while shifting out of 1st - 3rd, and drops quickly out of 4th and 5th. Once I get the software modified, it will drop quickly at all times.

I quite like it, in no small part for the fact that my car is now a bit difficult for any geek off the street to just hop in and take off; it's one more layer of disincentive for people to ask to borrow my ride (and then of course there's the ego boost of "I'm the only guy who can drive this thing well").
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

^ LOL on your last statement. That was how it was like (although on a smaller scale) when I had the Mazdaspeed6. It's got the trickiest clutch around, with the tiniest engagement range and an inconsistent varying pedal pressure. I drove it well, but it makes me chuckle every time I see a service tech hop in and stall it at the first launch (or over-rev to prevent it from stalling).

What brand clutch do you have? ACT? The "flower-pedal" style clutch discs are Stage 4 for Clutchmasters, and they have a set for my car as well. That's going too far, because of the chatter (CM even warns you about it). What that means is, I will go with the [Clutchmasters] Stage 3. I have a feeling it will make it feel a little like the MS6 again, which would be pretty cool. I can't wait!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

My clutch and flywheel are both by SPEC. Ooh, by the way - that clutchmasters stage 3 option should be a little more well-mannered because of the kevlar/carbon composite in the friction material.

But yeah, man. Go for it; I bet you'll love it.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Cool, SPEC clutches are super cool, but they are so expensive. It looks like the CM Stage 3 is equivalent to the SPEC Stage 2. SPEC doesn't make a flywheel for the CL, though :(

I'll go with the Clutchmasters Stage 3 kit with lightweight aluminum flywheel package. Thanks for the tips! :D
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter

Post by RITmusic2k »

Yeah, I could only afford mine because I bought it secondhand from a guy who never got around to install it in his own car.

Be sure to keep us posted once it all goes in!