Project Christine slo Hackensteinberg

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century

Re: Project Christine slo Hackensteinberg

Postby tankinbeans » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:32 pm

I heard my name. Why are you talking about Tank?

Hehe
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Postby theholycow » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:05 pm

I considered putting my tank in a case made of beans, that way I could "give it the beans" when I want to, but decided that it was too much work.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:52 pm

While on the subject of "Work",.....

"ERG!"
An erg is approximately the amount of work done (or energy consumed) by one common house fly performing one "push up", the leg-bending dip that brings its mouth to the surface on which it stands and back up. It is also the sound that the house fly makes while grunting out its last push up.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Postby theholycow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:57 am

50% off at Pick n Pull this weekend, and they may have a few early 1990s Caprices/Roadmasters...I think I'm gonna get Roadmaster wagon rear springs for my sagging rear, and I kinda wonder if I should try for the complete antilock braking system too. It should be 3-channel, so no need to take the rear axle assy or any components from it, and I can get a VSS signal from an adapter I have somewhere (just need to dig through my stuff to find it).

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Postby Rope-Pusher » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 pm

".....my sagging rear......"TMI!

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Postby theholycow » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:27 pm

I did some digging. Looking in an aftermarket replacement parts catalog isn't useful, but the Buick OEM parts manual has far more options.

(Tangent: I scored that parts manual on eBay, scanned the whole thing, and sent it off to the admin of the linked site to postprocess/OCR and host. Good guy to work with.)

My rear GAWR is 1146kg and my car came with 205/75-15 tires, putting me in spring part number 485722 or maybe 485740. Rockauto easily cross-references to Moog, and Moog has specifications. The data probably isn't an exact match to OEM, but should demonstrate the differences.

485722 = Moog 5557: Installed height 10, bar diameter .56, spring rate 126, load 848 lbs.
485740 = Moog 5245: Installed height 9, bar diameter 0.59, spring rate 133, load 1060 lbs.

482064 = Moog 6363: Installed height 10, bar diameter .59, spring rate 132, load 1035 lbs.
482082 = Moog 5549: Installed height 10, bar diameter .64, spring rate 167, load 1257 lbs.

527780 = Moog 5043: Installed height 10, bar diameter .64, spring rate 171, load 1140 lbs.

I probably need 2 or 3 inches...or more. Besides the general OEM stance and the 37 year old worn OEM stance, I also have more weight in the back but not more in the front. Hitch receiver, 4-down tow bar, hitch haul on folding drawbar, full size spare (on aluminum wheel), three gallons of spare fluids in trunk, various other stuff in trunk (and my recovery chain is MIA). I should squeeze some of the heavy/dense stuff into space under the hood for balance. There are some decent spaces where I could make mounts and bins.

Anyway, following up on those part numbers, I'm not going to find any donors in the junkyard, it's all old stuff.

A pair of air bags is surprisingly cheap...the whole kit is under $90. It's not the $20 I hoped to pay for a pair of springs today, but it's a heck of a lot better for my purposes.

For slightly less effort and $20 less I could put on air shock absorbers, but then I have less configurability (can't choose from tons of regular shock absorber options, or of course the load assist ones that I already have with mini coil springs on them that barely make a difference), and the smaller chamber requires WAY higher pressure.

Actually I'm not sure which would be preferable for me; less volume and more pressure (better for my 250psi 12v pump) or less pressure and more volume (better for every other air source). However, I suspect the larger volume still won't take too long for the little pump; it's not like a whole tire.

5 to 35 psi:

20 to 150 psi:

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Cow,
My onliest experience with Amish airshocks was on Pappy Rope's 1974 Potniac Grand Safari wagon. There was a Schrader fitting to the side of the rear license plate that controlled the inflation of the two rear airshocks. This was an OEM system and I'm stinkin' that the owner's manuel said they could be left uninflated until needed and then inflated up to 90 (?) Psi.

After 4 or so years they started to lose pressure....leak air.
They held air long enough for a cross-county trip to the recycling center, but Prolly not long enough for a cross-country trip. Didn't go on many long trips with the shocks inflated, and didn't own the wagon long enough to get to investigating whether the leak was at the shock(s) or in the airlines.

I had a cupola minimalist vans with self-leveling rear suspensions. They were the anus belonging to a domesticated feline. When the van was loaded, a valve in shock was closed and the ride motion worked an internal pump that pressurized the shock until it reached normal ride height. When the van was unloaded, and rose above normal ride height, the valve in the shock opened and released the pressure. These shocks were Mebbe 5 or 6 inches in diameter.
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Postby theholycow » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:33 pm

My 1987 Deville had OEM auto-leveling system. It wasn't working, so I did a little plumbing, putting Schrader valves in the trunk. I added some fix-a-flat and then went to the gas station to use their pump to really get that rear end up in the air. As I exited the gas station, going down the exit hump, the shocks popped, splatting fix-a-flat goop and dropping the rear.

I think I may have posted that story before...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Reminds me of the time I was fueling my vehicle and I saw a guy walking up to the air hose with his bicycle. It was a gas station that was formerly a full-service garage, and they still had the big compressor for running lifts and pneumatic tools. He put the chuck up against his flat bike tire's Schrader valve and in about 10 seconds there was a loud pop as he blew the tire off the rim/exploded the inner tube. Sadly, he walked the bike back in the direction he came from. Talk about your premature ejaculation there.

bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Postby bk7794 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 pm

A lot of people remove the air suspension from crown vics and such. Would be a good luxury to have when it works...but would hate to diag/repair it when it doesn't.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Postby Rope-Pusher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Cow, Have you ever read about the life and times of the Buick V-6?

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histor ... 6-history/

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Postby theholycow » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Rope-Pusher wrote:Cow, Have you ever read about the life and times of the Buick V-6?

I haven't read that particular version before, and it has a lot more detail in one place than I've seen. I definitely did not know about the V8 being sold to Rover, and I'm amazed that it continued right through the 2004 Land Rover Defender.

I did know about the Jeep Dauntless 225. That was the donor for my 53lb monster flywheel, the only flywheel I know of with the right bolt pattern. All other engines with that crankshaft bolt pattern were only ever offered with slush.

the article wrote:The V6 was renamed “3800” following an extensive 1988 makeover that finally added a counter-rotating balance shaft.

Everything I have previously read indicated that it wasn't merely an extensive makeover but rather a new engine designed from the ground-up using everything that was learned with its predecessor.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Postby Rope-Pusher » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:19 pm

theholycow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Cow, Have you ever read about the life and times of the Buick V-6?

I haven't read that particular version before, and it has a lot more detail in one place than I've seen. I definitely did not know about the V8 being sold to Rover, and I'm amazed that it continued right through the 2004 Land Rover Defender.

I did know about the Jeep Dauntless 225. That was the donor for my 53lb monster flywheel, the only flywheel I know of with the right bolt pattern. All other engines with that crankshaft bolt pattern were only ever offered with slush.

the article wrote:The V6 was renamed “3800” following an extensive 1988 makeover that finally added a counter-rotating balance shaft.

Everything I have previously read indicated that it wasn't merely an extensive makeover but rather a new engine designed from the ground-up using everything that was learned with its predecessor.

Maybe the nut that holds the steering wheel wasn't changed?
Yes, seems tummy they even shifted the bores so they aligned to the crankshaft instead of being intentionally off-set. I imagine there wasn't much they DIDN'T know about that engine family by then, so they prolly had a long honey-dew list of what they wanted to change.

I think it is interesting that the 215 Aluminum V8 was prolly thought of as a failure at first, based on sales, or lack there-of, but at least they got to sell the tooling and cut their losses, right? I bet nobody thought it would go on for such a long time.

So then Buick replaces the aliminum 215 V-8 with a cast-iron V-6 and after a few model years stop production of those and sell off that tooling to Kaiser for Jeep engines, but when Kaiser sold Jeep to American Motors, the V-6 production was halted until eventually Buick bought the tooling back from AMC. Again, what was prolly considered a loser of an engine design turned into a winner, a much bigger winner than the Aluminum V-8 if you go by production volumes.

Bring Out Your Dead: Isn't there a company manufacturing light aircraft engines based on the Chevy Corvair aluminum air-cooled boxer-6's?

Speaking of not being appreciated until long after you're gone, I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not praying and cussing like the passengers in his car.

Return to “Members' Cars”