DKaz's 2008 Corollamobile

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

DKaz's 2008 Corollamobile

Post by DKaz »

A few photos of my Corolla!

Last autumn after I dropped her.

On my way to Vancouver WA to meet up with friends from Toyota Syndicate NW (http://www.toyotasyndicatenw.com)

Abbreviated Toyota Syndicate NW crew

This is the thing that makes it go.

Subie-ish conversion. lol.

Tonight I'm going to do the changeover from steelies to rims... finally!!!
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Re: DKaz's 2008 Corollamobile

Post by vedran »

nice corolla! what are you dropped on? looks like a stock shocks/eibach prokit combo.

i like the steelies :D
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Nice car! :D
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Woot for Corollas. I want your shift boot :lol:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Corollas are great cars. that's what i had before my STi. it was a 99 and my mother-in-law is still driving it now. last time i saw it it was over 150k miles and still running well. and my wife has an 05 Matrix which is essentially a Corolla. yours looks good! how high was it before the drop?
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

padunk_dust wrote:Nice car!
vedran wrote:nice corolla! what are you dropped on? looks like a stock shocks/eibach prokit combo.

i like the steelies :D
Lol thanks. I have Megan Racing springs (2" drop) with stock struts/shocks. Got them for $110 so can't complain... the ride's a bit too harsh but better than the grandma stock springs. I want to get H&R springs, all the performance of my Megans but a bit less harsh, they're about $210 tho so hmmmm...
94Corolla5Speed wrote:Woot for Corollas. I want your shift boot
lol yah, I had a 91 Corolla before, great little cars! We can trade, I miss the old accordion shift boots lol. I miss that car in general, here are pics of it last spring when I was selling it...

I had an 88 Civic Wagon 4WD too, super fun to drive! 1.6L B16A engine or whatever it was, the same engine that was in the SI of that time.

Last edited by DKaz on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

jomotopia wrote:Corollas are great cars. that's what i had before my STi. it was a 99 and my mother-in-law is still driving it now. last time i saw it it was over 150k miles and still running well. and my wife has an 05 Matrix which is essentially a Corolla. yours looks good! how high was it before the drop?
This high, about 5.8" ground clearance. lol.

The Matrix is a nice car, I kinda wish I got that instead with a baby on the way and a rambunctious dog to deal with. The 2ZZ XRS engine would've been nice too. Vroom.

My old 91 Corolla was at 220,000 km when I sold it. Subies last quite a while too right? There's like a 600k Subaru club or something like that. STIs are noice tho, Corollas are great cars but there's just no comparison, I'd take the STI. lol.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

yeah the Matrix is great for our dog. :)

yeah the Subies are pretty reliable. one guy with an 04 STi was over 150k with over half of that at Stage 2 (turbo back exhaust and tune) and no major problems. i'm closing 75k on mine and it's still a champ. as much as i loved my Corolla, i could never go back. :lol:
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

jomotopia wrote:yeah the Matrix is great for our dog. :)

yeah the Subies are pretty reliable. one guy with an 04 STi was over 150k with over half of that at Stage 2 (turbo back exhaust and tune) and no major problems. i'm closing 75k on mine and it's still a champ. as much as i loved my Corolla, i could never go back. :lol:
That's good, at least you got the 04, even the previous ones look decent... the current STIs/Imprezzas are just meh. My wife and I are thinking either a Subaru Legacy wagon (or Outback) or a Volvo V50 T5 AWD... but this is still a few years from now. She loves Volvos but I've been convincing her that Subarus are just as safe but more fun to drive. Maybe not as much in the Legacy/Outback but still!
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

if you're trying to convince her on Subaru's safety, research their B pillar. it's insane.
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

That's crazy, no wonder the side crash test videos I've seen have been good. I'd hope no one here gets T-Boned regardless... that's crazy how they can't use the Jaws of Life on the B Pillar except for the point where it joins the roof just above the steel bar.

Look, rims! Summer mode... :mrgreen: Got the rims a few months ago from a local Matrix owner for pretty cheap.

09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

Thanks! Yah these wheels were optional OEM on the 03-08 Toyota Matrix XR/XRS. The guy I bought them from went up to 19" forged wheels so sold these to me for $450. I found one aftermarket wheel I liked, Borbet Type CA, 24 lbs heavy but they look nice and OEM, but for $450 I just couldn't pass up on the Matrix wheels.

As far as OEM wheels go (at least for compacts), I like the Mazda 17" wheels with the tree branch like spokes the best. There are some aftermarket wheels that have tried to imitate the look but all of failed so far. Of course the OEM Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc. wheels are sweet.

In terms of wheel covers... I would say that crown belongs to VW. Hubcaps are meant to cover up the fact that you have Steelies and only VW does that, although Honda started doing so as well.

At least I'm just one of the few Corolla owners out there with Matrix wheels. :D
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

DKaz wrote:As far as OEM wheels go (at least for compacts), I like the Mazda 17" wheels with the tree branch like spokes the best.
You mean these?
I have those on my 3 (well they're in the basement right now, going back on this weekend).

I had a 92 Corolla before my 3, same colour as your 91 but a wagon. My wife has an 03 Matrix with Camry hubcaps :)
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

DKaz wrote:That's crazy, no wonder the side crash test videos I've seen have been good. I'd hope no one here gets T-Boned regardless... that's crazy how they can't use the Jaws of Life on the B Pillar except for the point where it joins the roof just above the steel bar.
here's some more Subaru safety for you:

guy was not injured... somehow.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... genumber=1
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Gotta love Subies