The Neverending Probelem UPDATED: drag racing stuff from wed

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: The Neverending Probelem UPDATED: drag racing stuff from wed

Post by permabanned »

i have decided on my next mod. im getting a dixie horn :lol: its gonna be rather challenging to take off on the 3rd honk with that, would it be the 3rd cycle of the horn, or the 3rd beep in the 1st cycle. weird. lol jk, would be hilarious tho, a japanese car with a dixie horn :lol:

so i should be racing my friends civic in a few days, probably this weekend. he has a EK civic coupe, gutted behind the seats, B18C shortblock, B16 heads, GSR cams, 12:1 compression, built valvetrain that he revs to 8400rpms, dynotuned hondata. he put down 155 horse at the wheels on a mustang dyno. mustang dynos read lower than dynojets, but 155 wheel horse is weak for those mods. he blew out his stainless clutch line seriously not even 100 feet outside of the tuning shop where they did the dynotuning at, and me and him swapped in a regular rubber clutch line out of a junkyard EK (that was a lucky find, a 5spd EK at a junkyard where theres not really anything newer than early 90s), bled it thorougly, i know that for a fact and apparently his clutch is so stiff, that the pressure plate force is making the rubber line expand and thus the clutch doesnt disengage all the way. his car is ridiculously overclutched for what hes got, whatever, maybe he wants to enjoy the 600 dollar dynotune before he runs a 900 dollar probe. i dont care. he got a new stainless clutch line today and put it in today so im sure he will be up for a couple pulls this weekend.
if we do race, i dont really care if i lose. lets see here i have a 900 dollar car. boohoo i lost to a gutted swapped dynotuned honda thats making at least 100 hp/liter at the crank. and if i win, thats even better. a 900 dollar pile beating a multithousand dollar car that he just spent 600 dollars to dynotune. he has so much less weight than me, im sure he will get me in a roll race because roll racing is really car vs car and nothing else, you have to be a retard to screw up a roll race. i might get him in a dig race, i have a lot more tire than him so i should have the traction advantage, and driver mod matters in dig racing. roll racing is all honk honk honk go shift real hard at redline til someone has a clear lead.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE

head porting pictures

like i said, im porting my heads myself because im cheap and thats another something i want to be able to say ive done and not majorly screwed up. for the reference, if you dont know what porting is or what it does or how its done, here ya go, good read for when your boredz at work
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/2294/page1am9.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7163/page2ol9.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7963/page3tc9.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/572/page4ef5.jpg

basically im just doing what it says in there, and so far im happy with my progress. for never having even used an air grinder or a dremel before and diving straight into it, im very happy with the results, and im sure its gonna make a noticeable difference over stock heads

first few pics were taken at night and turned out like aids because the camera was in manual mode setup for day and i didnt know about it.

here you can see a square port KLZE intake gasket laid over the round DE ports. you can see how much material can be removed from the ports to open them up and still not undercut the gasket

some random picture of working on the valve seats area, and my weapon of choice on the right. harbor freight air die grinder, 20k rpm of w00t

i unshrouded the valves a little bit and cleaned up the combustion chamber to give me something not dirty to look at while im porting the runners.

here you can see down the intake runner and you have a good view of the exhaust valve seat transition to the exhaust port wall. there was a step there where the steel valve seat was pressed into the aluminum head, and i took off that step and made it 1 smooth surface

much more squared up intake runner. i did this with a rasp bit so it looks like someone chewed it all up, and i pretty much did. i dont have a comparison pic of this runner to the stock runner but the difference is substantial, even if i leave this runner how it is in this picture it will flow a hell of a lot more air than the stock runner. but i will clean it up some more and i need to get a long nose bit to get down into the runner and knife edge the divider where the port splits into the 2 valve holes, thats another area of big improvement. the runner is still not done, i have a couple more spots where i need to take it all the way out to the gasket line, so it looks lopsided now but that will be taken care of

just to see what happens i hit the intake port with an 80 grit sanding mandrel to clean it up and not make it look like a battefield, but to still keep it somewhat rough. you cant mirror polish the intake runners otherwise fuel drops will stick to the port walls in the same way rain drops stick to your windshield and that will mess with your air fuel ratios in a big and possibly destructive way. you want rough port walls to keep the air in there somewhat turbulent and to keep the fuel atomized in there. 80 grit pretty much mirror polished it so ill have to get some 40 grit mandrels for the intake. exhaust ports can be and should be mirror polished because the smoother the surface is the harder for the carbon to stick to it.

next time im at a junkyard ill pocket a header gasket out of a junk probe because im done using any sort of exhaust gaskets in favor of red RTV, and i dont have a spare header gasket to see how far i can open up the exhaust ports.

after both heads are ported to my satisfaction ill have to pony up for a 3 angle valve job and to get the heads decked and have them grind down the valve stems to compensate for the material they take off the valve seat and quite possibly pay them to assemble the heads. i dont want to deal with the valve locks, puling them out was a PITA, putting them back in is gonna be like doing an open heart surgery thru a hole in the head. id rather give them a box of intake and box of exhaust valvetrain and be like put it together. at that point my heads will be done and ready to go. after that i can mess with the bottom end, thats gonna cost a lot more money to get put together.

and a side project. my downpipe kept cracking and i got tired of it so i ordered a flex pipe off of ebayz. it got here yesterday and after a refreshing nap in the middle of the way i went at it, pulling off the downpipe and welding in this

nice crack, eh? it was almost all the way around. stress fractures FTL

and after some cutting and welding, finished product. thats black header paint so it doesnt rust as fast

and my baller ass new billet back strut brace
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Ive ported. Porting is fun. Even if the gains overall are minimal, its still a good project. Then again, that was only some intake piping. This will make a hell of a lot more difference than that. Looks good.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

nice vids, your car sounds really good up high. looks really good too 8)
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

thanks, i couldve revved higher and went all the way to the rev limiter, it sounds amazing above 7k but for those races i shifted around 6500, power drops off a lot after that and this is serious business. just ricing around myself ill rev to 75 to enjoy the sound.

anyway, because im bored and my mom is hogging up the tube, i went to tear apart my intake manifold, one of the things i have to do anyway and its free and im bored, so Image
my stepdad is sleeping so running the compressor and the grinder is pretty much asking to get shot, so im left with this quiet free stuff.

i traced the square port intake gasket on the intake runners and picture speaks for itself. i didnt think it was nearly this bad. i have a chance to procure a KLZE intake manifold from a local for a lot less than probetalk market value so i might have to jump on that, depending how this goes. maybe ill junkyard for square port intakes, but this is a whole hell of a lot of porting id have to do to open them up enough. damn.

i kill me

also, see how the inside of the runners is black. this is why EGR is bad and PCV is bad. they make insides of your junk black and nasty like that. my EGR has been blocked off ever since i got the headers, but i will be running road draft PCV when thsi project is done
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Porting isn't that hard is it? Basically just have to grind the hole bigger right.

What else are you going to do.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

theres quite a bit more to it than just grinding the hole bigger. now im a noob at this still i dont really have any room to talk like i know shit about porting, but reading those 4 magazine pages i posted up above gave me the confidence to try this. if i screw it up, o well, ill head over to the junkyard and pull a head off a probe, and if i dont screw up, then im awesome and ill have a nice performance bump. porting has a certain effect when your n/a, and thats amplified when you are boosted. bottom line is the better my shit flows the more power ill be able to make using less boost pressure. pressure is only resistance to flow, and volumes of air flowing into the cylinders is whats gonna make more power. boosting 10 pounds on stock heads and intake will give me X horsepower, and boosting 10 pounds with ported heads and intake will give me more than X horsepower.

other thing about porting is that you either have to be very patient or just plain lazy. i had my heads ripped apart since whenever i posted about it, and so far i dont even have 1 intake runner finished up. im working on it whenever i feel motivated to because if im tired and would rather sleep ill either screw shit up or do a halfassed job and i dont want either of those. i think ill get a good amount of work done tomorrow, i should have this head's intake side done, but im not gonna rush to get it done.

anyway, tonight is turning somewhat into work on race car parts night. unable to use air tools to port i kept tearing apart the intake. here it is all disassembled

this is what im looking at porting out, and going as deep into the runners as i can. KLZE intake with the square ports is looking attractive at this point

and once again, this is why EGR and PCV are bad. this is after i cleaned inside there with the grill cleaner you can see on the right and a nylon wirebrush. tomorrow ill clean this with carb cleaner and a metal brush, it should take everything off. this is looking into the intake from the throttle body hole, air is hitting quite a wall of crap as it enters the intake, all those edges will be knife edged when i get around to it. the 2 round holes are where a pair of VRIS butterflies were at before i persuaded them to come out. with the intake apart i finally understood how the VRIS butterflies close off sections of the intake and change how far the air has to move depending on the rpm and load. pretty amazing system, but its useless for boost and it is out. cleaned up the back of the intake quite a bit as well without the crap on there

i took the intake apart down to the bare everything, and i peaced out the VRIS butterflies and stuff. when bolts are screwed into their holes for 13 years, they tend to not want to come out, and i ended up having to drill them out to get the VRIS butterflies out. i dont care, VRIS will hurt me more than help if i leave it in, intake resonance is negligible under boost, whereas its a big thing when your natural aspirated. another good thing about not having VRIS is that the vaccum system will be greatly simplified. when its all done all ill need is the vaccum to the purge solenoid to purge the charcoal canister, a vac line for the brake booster, vaccum for the FPR and vaccum for the blowoff valve, vac line for the boost gauge and a vac line for the HVAC system. its gonna be very simple and clean under the hood and i like that
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

it has come to my attention that an M62 might be too small for what im doing, and i might have to go with an M90. the problem is that m62 being a 1 liter blower might not put out enough air volume, and a 1.5 liter m90 would have no problems keeping up with the engine til about 450-470 horse, and that much is obviously useless in a wrong wheel drive on street tires.

m90s are dime a dozen and thats a good thing but that means a custom front header. aidz0rz but i gotta do what i gotta do. better to find out now before i have spent any money on my project than to find out later when my m62 is maxed out and putting out 5 psi and only about 250 wheel horse because it doesnt flow enough air to keep up wiht the demands of a cammed ported 2.5 liter spinning 7500

anyway, local tuning place is having a dyno day tomorrow. i might be tempted to drag my pile up on the rollers and see what it puts down. but the problem along with the infinite gayness of that place and their dyno being cursed, its a mustang dyno and theirs reads ridiculously low. if it was a dynojet id be all over it
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

hit 180 and i'd be impressed :)
<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

lol 180s in a car that makes 175 crank haha.

anyway i went today, me and my friend went up there and pretty much a minute after we showed up a few guys from the tuners rolled in to watch and to eat the free food and drink free pop :lol: i got 2 runs, they were prety much identical so there was no need for a 3rd run.

for those who cant be hassled to read:
147 horse, 148 torque.

this is on a mustang dyno and they always read lower than dynojets. i didnt beat my friends civic, he put down 155 horse, but i found it hilarious how i had more torque at 2000 rpm than he had at torque peak. his torque is pretty much a straight line across 100.

the car sounded baller on the dyno too, let out a bigass fireball at the end of 2nd run.

power pretty much flatlines above 5k, and torque drops off. im pretty sure its because of my 2" exhaust. 2.5 inch exhaust will definitely increase the top end but im not spending money on the exhaust unless i have to.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm gonna dyno my car for shits and giggle.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

AHTOXA wrote:I'm gonna dyno my car for shits and giggle.
Hit me up if you find a free or cheap dyno day near here.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Will do.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Not bad, considering the age and everything. I wonder what I'd make on the dyno... probably like 125 rwhp, 37 tq :lol:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

lolz. i said going in, if it made 150+ itd be stellar because of my friend who has about 6 grand in his B18 swapped civic and only put down miserable 155 horse, me making over 150 would be a bitchslap to him and me making more than 155 would be straight dumping a bucket of taco bell shits on his head. and i said if it didnt make at least 140 id drive it straight into a lightpole across from pure. the dude at pure is a noob tho, i came up to the computer after the 1st pull and asked how much it made, he said 153, and his computer said 153. i dunno why it came up 147, but seriously, both runs 1hp and 1tq apart, im happy with that consistency
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr