The Neverending Probelem UPDATED: drag racing stuff from wed

A place to post photos and discuss your car.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: The Neverending Probelem UPDATED: drag racing stuff from wed

Post by permabanned »

shiny new car parts FTW
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Wow, why does shit keep breaking on your car?

Srsly. I know it's a Problelem but come on, breaking stuff all the time is a bit unreal.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Its cause he thrashes the shit outta his car, all the powershifting and stuff is catching up to him...
<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

nothing is breaking all the time.

between me getting my first probe and today, heres all that broke on either of those

1. fuel pump - 50 dollars
2. engine mount - free
3. axle - 55 dollars

105 dollars of repairs in over a year of hard driving. thats not too bad at all. the axle was due for a change anyway, its been thru a winter with the ripped CV boot and its been popping for a while, then the engine mount broke and overextended it and did it in. so it screwed me out of autocross but im glad it broke in toledo and i could drive it home rather than have it break in the middle of f**k nowhere fostoria 1 hour away and make me look like a dumbass in front of everyone.
i drive my car hard, i dont expect parts to last forever. shit breaks. 3 things breaking between july and now is nothing. it just happened that the engine mount led to the axle going out.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

I thought the starter got heatsoaked so it wouldn't start.. but I remember reading that a long time ago.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

that was weird shit when that broke. it went from a bad starter to bad grounds to a bad fuel pump. dont know how.

i ended up taking apart the starter and cleaning the rotors and brushes and its been perfect ever since and that cost me nothing. then when it goes from not cranking and push starting to cranking and not starting its retarded.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

o and one more thing. i was told last night that i spilled some axle parts and fluid in the parking lot and i did indeed. i didnt find the 2 of the round bearing things that were missing from the CV, i assume the parking lot sweeper picked those up but some cv grease and a bunch of needle bearings were there. it was awesome.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

^ :lol: tooo funny dude
<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

just a random update for a totally useless mod. i got rid of my IAC today. despite the coolant burping time and time again, i still couldnt get a smooth idle out of this car, so i decided to ditch my IAC.

cleaned off my spare throttle body. i wouldve hourglassed the throttle shaft but my mom was sleeping and i didnt want to wake her up with the compressor and the air grinder. you can see a bunch of air passages, thats where the IAC bolts up

here i fabrihacked a IAC block off plate for the bottom of the throttle body.

i got trigger happy with the RTV and ensuring a perfect seal, i bolted my plate on the throttle body

stock throttle body and IAC and my new one side by side. the whole thing on the bottom is the IAC module

i took off my throttle body, rerouted a coolant line (because i no longer needed coolant going into the IAC, so i rerouted it back into the head) and blocked off the red circled vac nipple (thats where the air came into the intake from the IAC)

buttoned it all back up, refilled the coolant that leaked out, and i was done

i started it up and heard a loud whistle. it sounded like a cetrifugal supercharger idling. i thought it was a big vac leak, but then i cranked down the idle screw and it went away. i assume it was the air rushing past the tip of the idle screw that was whistling.

i set the idle at the winter friendly 850-900 rpms and i was done. now i have direct control of my idle rpm with the idle screw (versus before i would turn the idle screw and the IAC would intervene and adjust the air passing thru and put the idle back where it felt like it). i lost fast idle, but i didnt really like it in the first place, and its not a driveability issue in any way.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Huh why is there no replies, that is unusual.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

um yea i didn't see this. roman any updates to the probelem lately?
<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

none since the IAC mod, thank God. im in a window right now where my car is being reliable, so im touching exactly nothing.

axle is broke, it does the loud pupping all the time now when turning left but screw it, ill wait til it really breaks to get a free axle.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr