2013 Accord - 2.4L Direct Injection/3.5L V6

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

2013 Accord - 2.4L Direct Injection/3.5L V6

Post by Perpetuus »

I didn't get very much seat time with the 2.4L Direct Injection model as of yet. Still, I have test driven both the 2.4L and the 3.5L (V6) so far. The direct injection 2.4L is a very nice and quiet car, but the V6 keeps the same refinement while adding a throaty exhaust note and much better torque and horsepower.

-2013 Accord Coupe V6-

My first experience with the 2013 Accord was with the 2.4L Direct Injection model, which is a fantastically refined car, if a bit boring for auto enthusiasts like me. I spent a total of 2 days with it, and believe that it offers a very BMW-esque ride comfort and handling. I like BMWs, but I find them to be so refined that the driving experience becomes somewhat diluted for the senses. The Accord 2.4L was the same; very quiet, smooth, and goes around town without much commotion. In my opinnion, all of this- when combined, is exactly what the intended demographic of this car are looking for.

However, next came the Accord V6 coupe. This is now one of my favourite modern Hondas. It does not have the fuel economy of the 2.4L direct injection engine, but it makes great power and torque, sounds great, and still takes 87 octane fuel only! When you drive this car, you will instantly be reminded of how smooth and refined the 3.5L Honda V6 mill is. It really is a great engine, and now makes 278 hp at 6200 RPM, and 252 lb-ft of torque at 4900 RPM. For comparison, this is almost 100 hp more than the 2.4L direct injection four cylinder, which puts out 185 hp at 6400 RPM and 181 lb-ft of torque at 3900 RPM. You will notice the difference despite the heavier weight of the V6!

Cosmetically, I am not such a big fan of the Hyundai Genesis style tail lights on the 2013 Accord sedan. On the other hand, the coupe looks very nice from the rear, with more slender tail lights than before. The headlights on both sedan and coupe are very similar, but it looks like Honda is using a narrower headlight on the coupe to help make the car look sportier when compared to the coupe. The hood on the coupe also appears to be different altogether.

Still, for many, the most exciting feature of this car is the added convenience and safety features. Both Accord sedan and coupe features FCW (Forward Collision Warning), LDW (Lane Departure Warning), and Lanewatch Blind Spot Display on the higher trim levels.
FCW will flash an amber warning light from the base of the windshield, along with audbile alerts when the computer determines that you are approaching the car in front of you too quickly. In the time I spent with the system, it does not, however, intervene your braking or throttle inputs. For aggressive drivers that cut lanes really close to the car in front of them, the system will warn you of your dangerous driving;) LDW is a lane watch system that will beep when your vehicle departs your current lane of choice. It is not a perfect system at this time, but is relatively good. You have the option to turn off LDW at will, but not FCW. There is a dedicated button in the area to the left of the steering wheel to switch ON/OFF LDW. Now, perhaps the most important technology fitted to these cars is the Lanewatch feature. There is a camera mounted to the bottom of the passenger side mirror. The image from the camera shows you what's in your blind spot. and can be shown on the Navi screen all the time if you wish. Otherwise, the image from the blind spot automatically shows up on the navi screen when you signal to the right to change lanes. It's a very handy feature that is excellent to use, and undoubtedly improves safety in all conditions.

A mainly infotainment-oriented feature called Hondalink is now also available on these cars, allowing you to stream music using apps like Pandora from your cell phone directly into the car's speaker system. I am quite certain that Hondalink has other features too, but I have not had the opportunity to test them all out yet.

Overall, I really liked the Accord V6. It has alot of features for the money, but is still built as a great handling car at its core. The car is a bit big though, but it does feel very luxurious both inside and out, which should automatically set higher standards for Acura interiors in the future too!

-More pictures-

View from the Driver's Seat

The Speedometer

Two Screens (The lower one is touch enabled)

Sleek Coupe Lines

2013 Accord Sedan - 2.4L Direct Injection

Night shot from Nov. 18 - Dual LED headlights on each front corner
Last edited by Perpetuus on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: 2013 Accord 2.4L Direct Injection

Post by bk7794 »

Make sure to see how the engine sounds, like is it loud as all the other DI engines.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:Make sure to see how the engine sounds, like is it loud as all the other DI engines.
:? :? :?

Why do you say that DI engines are loud? My car is DI and it doesn't sound any louder than a car with port injection.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Shadow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Make sure to see how the engine sounds, like is it loud as all the other DI engines.
:? :? :?

Why do you say that DI engines are loud? My car is DI and it doesn't sound any louder than a car with port injection.
I agree with Shadow. You wouldn't know mine was GDI by looking at it, there are no decals on the body unlike other companies who offer the same technology. The only think different, that I can tell, is a slight clickity clack sound from the injectors when the bonnet is open.

It's not a continuously variable sewing machine is it? I would be sad.

I think I've only seen a couple of these in the wild. They certainly look much better than the previous generation's hippopotamus. Much sleeker, although the rump looks a little...um...pronounced.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote: The only think different, that I can tell, is a slight clickity clack sound from the injectors when the bonnet is open.
As far as I can tell, all port injectors make clicking sounds too. If anything, I think direct injectors are more quiet than port injectors simply because of their respective locations in or on the engine.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

KIA& Hyundai engines are really loud atleast on videos. I just watched a video on the 2.4l and it wasn't too bad.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

this here VW 2.5 litre I-5 sounds somewhat like an exotic or at least a luxury V6 when opened up. once i get used to the throttle (or it gets used to me) then i'll be grinning all day.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That 2.5 has been described as half of a Lamborghini V10.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthrea ... 1f&t=41875

Don't know aboot that but it is pretty decently torquey for a little econobox engine, isn't it?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

The exhaust did sound pretty neat when I watched a review of it.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:That 2.5 has been described as half of a Lamborghini V10.

Don't know aboot that but it is pretty decently torquey for a little econobox engine, isn't it?
Probably half a Lambo engine that's been detuned. If I recall correctly, it's rated 170 horse with 177 torques. I'd have to ask my friend though. I do know that you can get up to decent speeds without hitting 2k rpm.

VW does own, or have a big share of Lambo.

On a side note, I didn't realize Fiat owned Maserati and Ferrari.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wait, i didn't get another damn econobox, did i?!?!? i thought the jetta was a luxury car (it sounds like one at least) :!: :o :shock: :x :evil: :cry: :? :| :roll: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:

wait, i didn't get another damn econobox, did i?!?!? i thought the jetta was a luxury car (it sounds like one at least) :!: :o :shock: :x :evil: :cry: :? :| :roll: :lol:
Supposedly, it was deconted for this generation. Seems nice enough though. I've never been in the S model though, so maybe that one is worse.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote: Supposedly, it was deconted for this generation. Seems nice enough though. I've never been in the S model though, so maybe that one is worse.
they definitely cut some corners compared to the mkV but its not terrible and nothing seems to affect actual driving (other than maybe the rear beam suspension and simplified steering system). To me it looks way nicer inside and out. The S has the 2.0 and doesn't have cruise control and a few other things and no leatherette, but its otherwise similar. You have to step up to the GLI to get the more luxurious jnterior.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:nothing seems to affect actual driving (other than maybe the rear beam suspension and simplified steering system).
The steering system and suspension were great strengths of the MKV. What did they do to it exactly?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Not having leatherette wouldn't bother me. I won't pay extra for vinyl.

My mom said or was funny because people used to last more for cloth over vinyl, but now they pay more for vinyl (with a different name).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport