ROAD TRIP!

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

ROAD TRIP!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

http://www.hagerty.com/Hagerty-Online/O ... d-Part-VII
Edgar "Ned" Wilcox was a school teacher and elementary school principal near Traverse City, Mich., in the early 1900s. In 1923, Ned and his wife Golda, sister-in-law Josephine "Josie" Landon, and brother-in-law Lloyd Landon set out in Lloyd’s Case Six automobile on a cross-country road trip to Tacoma, Wash., eventually settling in California.

Ned took the time to document his trip in a manuscript for friends, family and students. The story remained hidden until 2007, when his grandson uncovered the document in some old family papers. It’s reproduced here verbatim, transcribed from a typewritten manuscript, with 1923 words, phrases, language and cultural references. It’s a glimpse of American life and car culture more than 85 years ago.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: ROAD TRIP!

Post by potownrob »

very interesting reading :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:very interesting reading :)
I think that i would have avoided riding in the car again for a few weeks after all that, but they were hardy people back then.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

sounds like they probably did once they settled down in cali, though they did keep taking shorter road trips. definitely come off as folks who drove (and liked to drive) more than the average american back in those times. when i read the part about them going all the way back to tacoma just after getting to LA (and then they end up going all the way back to LA to settle down), i thought they must be insane. the story makes me want to hear more of Ned's adventures, then i remember he's almost definitely dead now... :? :roll: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Thanks for posting this. I've enjoyed reading it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650