T-Mobile HTC G2

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

T-Mobile HTC G2

Post by FDSpirit »

I figure I've had this phone long enough to give a decent review on it.
Design- 4/5: I love the screen on this phone. The size and display are perfect. Not too big and not too small(twss). I don't understand what is so difficult about adding an extra line for the numbers though. The keys are very responsive and have held up well with my use. The phone comes with 3 dedicated jump buttons for quick access to your most used applications. One other thing I don't get is the location of the charge port. It's not down underneath the optical track pad, but underneath the keyboard, so you can see how that can be a little irritating. Not a deal breaker though. The G2 is plagued by a hinge issue where the screen just hangs freely if you turn the phone upside down. My phone suffers from it, but it hasn't affected my daily use. I mean, if I decide to start texting upside down in a cave with some bats, then sure.

Battery Life(varies)- As with any phone, use is different for everybody. For me, I can easily get 15 hours on a single charge. That's more than enough for me. With heavy use(tethering, hotspot, streaming movies/music), maybe 6 or 7 hours. That's still pretty darn good.

Hardware/OS- 4/5: The G2 comes stock with Froyo(Android 2.2), but HTC should be rolling out OTAs to update the OS to Gingerbread(2.3). With custom ROMs though, you can get it earlier :mrgreen: . The phone has been overclocked to a safe 1600MHz, which is more than enough. I use about 1.1MHz for my daily use. The stock kernel is about 806MHz. The phone also isn't bogged down by that gaudy, memory hungry Sense. Some people like it, I don't.

Reliability- 5/5: Can't say I've run into any issues with the phone giving me any trouble. I also have my phone rooted, so I will get a few issues, but that's usually because the ROMs aren't 100% stable. I'm using CM7.1 right now and I haven't had any issues at all. Even before I rooted the phone, I didn't run into any problems.

FOSE-I'll just leave this here

Overall-4/5: I honestly think the G2 is a good, solid Android phone. It's a shame TMo has discontinued it.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.