Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Post by permabanned »

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Size: 245/40/17

Overall: 5
Dry Pavement Performance: 5
Highway Performance: 5
Snow Performance: 1
Comfort: 4
Looks: 5
Price: 3

as some of you might remember, i cut a hole in the sidewall on one of my BFG comp T/As, and i couldnt find those tires for sale anywhere, they been out of production for a little while now. i ran across a fantastic deal on these pilot sport 2s on ebay and couldnt pass it up.

Dry Road:
this is where these tires shine. they are summer ultra high performance tires, they are made for corner carving on dry roads. my car weights 2800lb, and with 245mm of rubber on each corner, losing traction sideways is very hard. these tires have never understeered, the grip is that strong. my back end steps out but thats because i have goodyear eagle ZR45s on the back, and goodyear is not in michelins league.
steering response is very crisp, theres barely any sidewall movement (because i have less than 4 inches of sidewall) and theres barely any tread squirm.

Wet Road:
as much as these tires are amazing in the dry, they are even better in the wet. i honestly can not think of how michelin managed to make them this great in the rain. just look at the tread, it got 3 lines going down the tire and a couple sideways lines, thats it. how did they do it? these tires are spectacular in the rain.

Snow/winter conditions:
my car lights these up in 5th gear with half throttle on the snow. its getting to be below freezing around here and recently i started spinning 1st gear with these, so the cold is definitely taking away their traction, but even still, its very high. it says these are high performance summer tires and shouldnt be driven in snow, ice or freezing temperatures and you can see why when you can spin 5th gear with half gas.

Highway:
my car runs out of 5th gear long before these tires run out of their Z rating.

Comfort:
for as good as they handle, youd think theyd have rather stiff sidewall, but thats not the case. road noise is still there, but its not loud and its not annoying. these tires have a split personality. when your driving normal, they feel soft and nice, but when you throw it at some turns, they respond by gripping far past your mental limit

Price:
at 236 dollars a pop, these are expensive tires, no question about it. i got mine used from ebay for 110 shipped, they were almost brand new.

Looks:
look at the picture. thread looks great. the checkerboard sidewall design is also kinda cool.

Overall:
Pilot Sport 2 is michelins 2nd best tire behind their Pilot Sport Cup, which is a DOT legal road race tire. so thechnically, PS2s are their best pure street tires, and you can feel it. Pilot Sport PS2s are the OEM tire on the majority of sports cars and supercars, so if they are good enough for something like a RUF CTR3, they sure as shit are good enough for a 900 dollar probe. i can definitely see myself buying Ps2s again in the future
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr