1994 Toyota Corolla DX

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

1994 Toyota Corolla DX

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Performance: 4
Handling: 6
Practicality: 8
Reliability: 9
Cost to own: 7
Feasibility of Sexual Encounters: 5

Performance: It's a 1.8L 115 HP, 115 TQ engine, so you can't really expect much. Makes most of it's power above 3500, so around town it's a bit pokey unless you're gunning it. The light weight of the car (2315 LBS.) makes acceleration from a dead stop quite sprightly, though after about 40-50, it gets kinda slow. Throttle response is great, and the engine doesn't mind when you rev past 5k. Power plateaus at around 5500 RPM, and redline is about 6300, so there's no point in going to redline unless you want your ears to bleed and your senses assaulted by vibration.

Handling:Like I said before, it weighs 2315 LBS., so handling isn't half bad. It has quite a bit of body roll, but other than that, it handles OK. Lift oversteer is easy to achieve with a bit of practice.

Practicality:It's a small, fuel efficient car with all the basic options that you'd like. Perfect for the city. Trunk is quite large for a small car and the rear seats fold down. Seats are OK for short drives, but my back starts to hurt after about an hour or so.

Reliability:It's a mid-90's Toyota, it's pretty much the pinnacle of reliability. With regular maintenance, I've seen these go for 250k+ easily. Mine currently has 147k and the engine and trans run great. I only wish the chassis/suspension components would last as long as the engine/trans. There are numerous squeaks and rattles, and the exhaust is kind of loud, but it doesn't complain.

Cost to own:This car gives pretty good mileage (not so much with me driving it, best I've managed was 33 mpg), and is very easy to work on, so most of the time, you won't need to take it to a mechanic if it breaks (which is very rarely).

Feasibility of Sexual encounters: With the passenger seat all the way back and reclined, two people could comfortably have sex in the front, and with the front seats all the way forward, you could have sex in the back. Other than that, it's not so great. You're better off getting a room.
Last edited by 94Corolla5Speed on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: 1994 Toyota Corolla DX

Post by AHTOXA »

Even I can drive it comfortably and it's nice, comparing with some other small cars.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

It actually has a lot of space/headroom. I drove my friend's 99 civic ex coupe (stick :D ) and the top of my head was touching the sunroof. Sooooo annoying. I couldn't drive a car like that.
valbowski1980
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1999 Saab 9-5 LPT

Post by valbowski1980 »

My girlfriend has a 95 Geo Prizm auto which is really the same car. Very reliable, cheap to insure and simple to service/repair (an alternator swap took me 15 minutes).... Parts are cheap to buy as well and just about every Autozone/Napa store has whatever you may need.

You can't beat small Japanese cars like these of commuting and basic transport.
Last edited by valbowski1980 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Makes me miss my Corolla. Definitely one of my favorite overall cars.

Throttle response in that thing was the shit! Very quick to rev and is perfect for rev matching/heel-toe work. Pedal placement wasn't bad either.

The seats folding down were a major attraction for me, I have a lot of stuff to carry around sometimes; trips to the hardware store, planks of wood, many things could fit in there. Even on top of the giant sub I had in the back.

+1 for a great car.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
InkyRail
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: '02 Honda Accord LX- 5MT

Post by InkyRail »

My mom used to have a 97 (slushbox though...). It was the car I learned to drive in. Very good car, but I took issue with the handling. Unfortunately it was nowhere near what my (stock) Accord is able to pull off.
Josh