1991 Buick Riviera (Applies to most 1992-1995 buicks)

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

1991 Buick Riviera (Applies to most 1992-1995 buicks)

Post by ihartmacz »

Performance:
Handling:
Practicality:
Reliability:
Cost to own:
Feasibility of Sexual Encounters:

Performance: Car has tons of tow-down punch, the stock 3.8L V6 is a 12-valve design using push rods. This is one of the best engines ever made; if you look at the big three American auto companies, they all had a 3.8L 12-valve V6. If you look, the General Motors 3.8L V6 made more horsepower in all applications. For example, Ford's 3.8L V6 from the Taurus made only 140hp and the Chrysler 3.8L V6 made 150hp, while General Motor's 3.8L V6 was making 165-170hp depending on the application. All V6's made around 220ft-lbs of torque, but the GM is obviously more efficient, making that torque longer.

On many Buicks, not the early Rivieras, were available with a Supercharged version of the same 3.8L V6. The Supercharged engine is built a little more heavy duty than the N/A version, it also has a heavy duty automatic transmission (4t60hd-4t65hd). The Supercharged V6 made 225hp and 260ft-lbs before 1996!

Performance with the N/A engine is good, it hurls the 3400lb Buick to 60 in about 8.5-9 seconds. Lots of punch all the time in everyday situations.

The transmissions (automatic) in these cars are known for dependability! More over, this transmission will do what you want it to, anytime. Downshifts are quick, precise, and smooth. There's no hunting for any gear, put your foot down and you get the appropriate gear. Lift off and there's an immediate up shift, no bullshit.

Handling: HAHAHAHA. It's a BUICK! The ride was comfortable and positive, although there is a lot of body roll in the corners. Steering is pretty soft and numb, easy to drive and cruise. If you're considering a Buick for good cornering, get a Grand Prix or something else, not a Buick. The Riviera is sporty, but just for looks. It's titled as a personal luxury coupe, so there you go.

Practicality: Lot's of room. The size of my car didn't necessarily reflect the interior dimensions, however; there is lot's of room in the back seat, cavernous trunk with a gigantic opening and low lift sill. Seat's are comfortable in any stretch of the imagination.

In my Riviera, there was a blind spot, but was easily managed. The trunk being so large, it is hard to get a grasp on it while reversing - also, the rear wind shield is small.

Reliability: Let me just say that I am pretty biased toward General Motors products versus Ford and Chrysler. But you can read anywhere about the dependability of any car that has the 3800 and the 4T65 or 4T60 transmissions.

These drive trains are simply bulletproof. The only problem that I can think of with the 3800 is that it has a reputation for throwing the cam sensor magnet off the cam gear, this is however, easy to fix with a new magnet and JB Weld. With out the cam sensor, the car runs and has good performance, just a little rough.

Although I can say I've had any electrical faults, they seem to plague some GM cars.

I'd own a GM car with a 3800 before I'd own a Honda, lets put it that way.

Cost to own: Low. Parts are plentiful and easy to come by. Struts can be expensive though. Everything is common GM with a Buick, it's really just a cheap Cadillac.

The car will achieve 30mpg on the highway and I'll attest to it. Will do 21mpg in town if you're "careful" and will get 18mpg in town reliably.

Feasibility of Sexual Encounters: I had to pick a ONLY Buick with a floor shifter! Okay, my Buick was not a "lady-mobile", but if you're one of those people who has to have a nice car to get a girlfriend, you're probably cocky and not likely to have any sexual encounters.

Back seat in my Riviera was small, but the front passenger seat will articulate full, and combined with a dashboard that's recessed more than the drivers side, you have a lot of "working room" to get the "job" done or to be laying on top of (or beside if you're skinny) the other person. In Park, the space between the shifter and the armrest is enough for the other person to "you know" if you sit close enough.

Most other Buicks have a a bench seat (front and back) so if you want you can have an orgy or three-some in there. Ask your self (or partner) this: "It's like I've got two backseats in my car... Who wouldn't want to have *** with me?", the answer will be a resounding "Everyone will want to."

It's the perfect car to take her to inspiration point so she can point your inspiration toward the sky!
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: 1991 Buick Riviera (Applies to most 1992-1995 buicks)

Post by permabanned »

buicks are for old people. 165 horsepower out of 3.8 liters is nothing other than pathetic. its buttass slow regardless of your definition of fast. it cant turn. it cant stop. it cant hold you in the seat when your turning into the parking spot at walmart. its a GM v6 which i have yet to find a worse sounding engine, especially with an auto. its for old people. its a buick. most people under the age of 60 wouldnt be caught dead in a buick. id own a bone stock D series honda before i own a buick even though the bargain basement model of the buick would embarrass me in a straight line, at least a honda has potential. theres nothing you can do with a car that weighs that much. not to mention a bone stock D series EG is worth about as much at 20 buicks

there you go, theres a honest and unbiased review. almost jeremy clarkson ish.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

You forgot to rate it in the categories listed at the top.

I doubt the Riviera was the only 1991 Buick model with a floor shifter. There were a couple smaller models which likely had floor shifters.

I can't understand why anyone would want a floor shifter in an automatic -- if you're not going to manually operate it much, why have that big thing taking up valuable space? Still, the floor shifter has become so popular that it's even in vehicles that don't have a floor nearby -- many SUVs and minivans have a floor shifter sticking haphazardly out of the dash, just to avoid having a column shifter, knob, or buttons. There's nothing wrong with the column shifter, and it's often a comfortable place to rest your hand -- in my truck, it's perfect for bracing my hand while I fiddle with the radio.
permabanned wrote:165 horsepower out of 3.8 liters is nothing other than pathetic.
Not the case in 1991.

Buicks are for old people, and youngsters who don't give a flying fsck about what analprobe drivers think.

The GM 3.8 is widely known for being reliable and efficient.

The weight isn't a problem, nobody is auto-xing or drag racing a Buick. It's for people who want comfort, practicality, and lots of room for sex.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

Yes, I did misspeak, the Regal also had a floor-shift. (Maybe the Skylark?)

The reason I bought my Buick was because I needed a cheap reliable car after my ZX2 accident.

And unlike my Ford, my Buick didn't make any noise at all in the dash or anywhere else in the car. I think GM really had it going on in the 80's and early 90's, they had good cars and good build quality. They really know how to build a car. Don't get me wrong, Toyota, Honda, and a lot of other cars have unmatched build quality, but the major mechanics of my Buick are analogous to those of Japanese manufacturers.

And to the skeptics, girls actually didn't car about my Buick, they liked me either way (because I'm good looking, confident, and smart haha).
165 horsepower out of 3.8 liters is nothing other than pathetic.
Keep in mind that is a pushrod V6 from 1991. Also keep in mind that Ford's version only produced 140hp and is renowned head gasket problems.

In 1995 the Series II version made 205hp and 230ftlbs N/A. In 2005, it was the first gasoline engine in the industry to attain SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle).
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

I have yet to see a grandma driving around in a Grand National or a GNX. Those buicks are i'd love to have. I'd probly have to swap the slush though.
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

The borg-warner (I believe I'm correct on that one) manual transmission from the v6 Camaro since it had the 3800. It's bullet proof and I think it's the only rear-wheel drive transmission that will go with the 3800.

Now, front wheel drive. The manual transmissions what are mated to the 3100 may bolt to the 3800.

That'd be badass to have a blown V6 3800 cavalier... or gay. lol
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"