1999 Mazda 626 2.0 i4

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

1999 Mazda 626 2.0 i4

Post by ihartmacz »

Performance:
Handling:
Practicality:
Reliability:
Cost to own:

Performance: Pretty good for a 2.0 Liter engine. 130hp and 130ft-lbs, the car has pretty low gearing, and will really go when you push it. The FS-DE really makes a lot of power in the low to mid ranges, but is really raspy around 6000+RPM. I really wish I had a KL (2.5L V6), but this one is good enough.

Clutch engagement is really high in the pedal and makes hill starts a little harder.

Hard to get first gear without revmatching, double clutching, or being stopped.

I personally love the sound of the FS-DE! Girls have said to me that it sounds good (I have stock exhaust).

Handling: Great! The car goes around corners really well and steering is really accurate and communicative. pedal position is great for sporty driving, gear change is notchy, but is positive and relaxing.

Practicality: Lot's of room in the back, and in the back seats! You could easily have sex in the back seats and/or the trunk. You should reserve sleeping for the front seats. You cannot easily make a move on a girl or start making out in the front seat because the hand brake lever raises helically toward the drivers leg. You need to lower the lever, and engage FIRST (not reverse because the through is long) and put you arm around her and start kissing her, then if the need be - you can use one of the big front seats or the spacious back seat so she can raise your handbrake.

There are lots of places to store your little odds and ends. There's a cubby under the radio and in the center console. If you opt for an aftermarket radio, you'll have another cubby there, too! These cubbies are perfect for glasses,condoms, CDs, secret money, and more condoms....

Reliabilty: The FS-DE, like most other Mazda engines are well built and known for longevity and reliability. The 1998 FS-DEs are widely known for the intake manifold gasket problems, miscelanious vacuum leaks, dirty IAC motors, and P code P2042 (catalyst inefficiency), but are bullet proof otherwise. The only gripe I've had with my car is extended cranking time when cold (2 seconds max), but I know it will start, and starts at the bump of the key when HOT. Rear suspension is noisy.

FS-DE is an interferance engine, but timing belt change intervals is 90,000 miles or 105,000 for California spec cars.

Everything in this car is well make, well put together, and built to last. You can tell there is a quality feeling about the car.

Doesn't leak anything! Block is still clean with NO oil stains!

Cost to own: OKay, You can buy these cars used at good prices, mine was $2,300 with nothing wrong with it.

However, parts can be expensive! Timing belt cost me $200 in parts with a water pump.

A good note is to replace all the tensioners, seals, and water pump with the timing belt.

A new IAC is $300 so make sure you clean yours regularly.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Re: 1999 Mazda 626 2.0 i4

Post by permabanned »

ihartmacz wrote:Girls have said to me that it sounds good (I have stock exhaust)
:lol: no they didnt. girls could care less about how your car sound, to them it makes no difference. why do you think v6 mustangs pull poon?
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

my dad has a 626 and that thing has as much body roll as the titanic.... also its very weak. Apparently it has more torque down low than my mr2 but it sure don't feel like it. It kinda sounds like a 4age almost... but not really anything i'd comment about.

The shifter is massive like a trucks, the clutch is light like a civics and the shifter is smooth. The seating position is way too high and because of this short shifter is out of the question cause u'd have to reach down so much :lol:

Wtf is that about the sex in the 626 are u kidding me? lol.

Its a good commuter car since its very smooth, engine power delivery and ride comfort as well as lots of room. But the soft suspension means you are afraid of the car tipping going around roundabouts :lol: and u always want more power!
<3 fwd
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

permabanned wrote:
ihartmacz wrote:Girls have said to me that it sounds good (I have stock exhaust)
:lol: no they didnt. girls could care less about how your car sound, to them it makes no difference. why do you think v6 mustangs pull poon?
Actually I think its the other way around, girls just care about a car being flashy and a loud nice-sounding car is flashy. It doesn't matter if there's an anemic V6 under the hood, V6 Mustangs still pull poon :lol:.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

ihartmacz wrote:Performance:
Handling:
Practicality:
Reliability:
Cost to own:

Performance: Pretty good for a 2.0 Liter engine. 130hp and 130ft-lbs, the car has pretty low gearing, and will really go when you push it. The FS-DE really makes a lot of power in the low to mid ranges, but is really raspy around 6000+RPM. I really wish I had a KL (2.5L V6), but this one is good enough.

Clutch engagement is really high in the pedal and makes hill starts a little harder.

Hard to get first gear without revmatching, double clutching, or being stopped.

I personally love the sound of the FS-DE! Girls have said to me that it sounds good (I have stock exhaust).

Handling: Great! The car goes around corners really well and steering is really accurate and communicative. pedal position is great for sporty driving, gear change is notchy, but is positive and relaxing.

Practicality: Lot's of room in the back, and in the back seats! You could easily have sex in the back seats and/or the trunk. You should reserve sleeping for the front seats. You cannot easily make a move on a girl or start making out in the front seat because the hand brake lever raises helically toward the drivers leg. You need to lower the lever, and engage FIRST (not reverse because the through is long) and put you arm around her and start kissing her, then if the need be - you can use one of the big front seats or the spacious back seat so she can raise your handbrake.

There are lots of places to store your little odds and ends. There's a cubby under the radio and in the center console. If you opt for an aftermarket radio, you'll have another cubby there, too! These cubbies are perfect for glasses,condoms, CDs, secret money, and more condoms....

Reliabilty: The FS-DE, like most other Mazda engines are well built and known for longevity and reliability. The 1998 FS-DEs are widely known for the intake manifold gasket problems, miscelanious vacuum leaks, dirty IAC motors, and P code P2042 (catalyst inefficiency), but are bullet proof otherwise. The only gripe I've had with my car is extended cranking time when cold (2 seconds max), but I know it will start, and starts at the bump of the key when HOT. Rear suspension is noisy.

FS-DE is an interferance engine, but timing belt change intervals is 90,000 miles or 105,000 for California spec cars.

Everything in this car is well make, well put together, and built to last. You can tell there is a quality feeling about the car.

Doesn't leak anything! Block is still clean with NO oil stains!

Cost to own: OKay, You can buy these cars used at good prices, mine was $2,300 with nothing wrong with it.

However, parts can be expensive! Timing belt cost me $200 in parts with a water pump.

A good note is to replace all the tensioners, seals, and water pump with the timing belt.

A new IAC is $300 so make sure you clean yours regularly.
It sounds like you've got a solid car there, but those parts prices are crazy :shock: .
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

Tinton wrote:
permabanned wrote:
Actually I think its the other way around, girls just care about a car being flashy and a loud nice-sounding car is flashy. It doesn't matter if there's an anemic V6 under the hood, V6 Mustangs still pull poon :lol:.
Thats true... I went out with a chick who previously went out with a guy who had a 7" exhaust tip on his galant and she liked it :lol: she was like why isn't ur car loud, needless to say I took her for an 'Italian tuneup' and showed her that it wasn't too quiet :wink: but come on a 7" tip makes a car sound like shit....
<3 fwd
Evicatos
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3

Post by Evicatos »

permabanned wrote:
http://jalopnik.com/5047263/women-turne ... le-science
Hello world.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

To my knowledge and from what i have heard from people, the 626 is suppose to be one of the worse cars ever built with notoriously horrible reliability.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

JackBauer wrote:To my knowledge and from what i have heard from people, the 626 is suppose to be one of the worse cars ever built with notoriously horrible reliability.
My dads 626 is going as strong as ever with over 155k miles, doesn't use a drop of oil. The autotragic they put in them were a recipe for disaster and many died but my dad got a reliable manual one. Dunno if this one is a freak or what lol.
<3 fwd
myShift
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Protege ES

Post by myShift »

yeah the auto has tranny issues off the hizzle. my mom had one... way back when. gave it in because of the transmission issues.

its not like a camry in terms of body roll. tighter than the current gen corolla too.

currently driving the same gen protege. is the transmission from the 626 the same as the protege? i know i have the same engine.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

My mum has a 00 corolla and my dad has a 99 626.... the 626 feels like it wants to roll over where as the corolla is quite nimble.
<3 fwd
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

My 626 is pretty tight and handels as well as or better than my Honda Civic and Ford ZX2 did.

The 626 is unreliable and expensive if you don't keep up on maintenance and repairs.

If you're on the ball the 626 rewards you with excellent gas mileage and a rewarding driving experience.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

^ Yea for gas mileage the engine is excellent.
<3 fwd
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

Actually, while doing some reading - I discovered that American 626's are very different from anywhere else in the world.

So, bawked, your dad's 626 may very well handle like a ship, but mine doesn't.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/mazda/626/1999/

that is all

but alot of cars feels like boats compared to my mr2.... so maybe it is better than most?
<3 fwd