is Smooth or quick shifting better?

1320 feet of adrenaline
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

you need a rev limiter to powershift. Otherwise your engine go BOOM!

I tried to powershift once, shifted at 4k in 1st gear, WAHHHHHHHH overrevved almost up to 6k, nearly 1k over redline.

never did that again.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

eaglecatcher wrote:you need a rev limiter to powershift. Otherwise your engine go BOOM!

I tried to powershift once, shifted at 4k in 1st gear, WAHHHHHHHH overrevved almost up to 6k, nearly 1k over redline.

never did that again.
You don't need a rev limiter if you're reeeeeeeeeally damn good.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

paul34 wrote:Or you just need a 12,000 RPM redline 8)
amen to that. where can i find a high performance V8 like that, i wonder...
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DocPHD »

snikro wrote:Haha I love how in the beginning of this scene how the guy in the eclipse just SLAMS the shifter its like there was no resistance at all :lol:
And at 53 seconds how the guy sees him coming up and then floors his car, yeah like he wasnt already. And the nitrous always gets me too. :mrgreen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUm3BzHa508
ha that's so cute. and that scene right there is a very good example of why the fast and the furious franchise is dumb as hell. none of those drivers showed any tact or skill

the near-ram got my hopes up though. i would have loved to see the crash. that solid metal camaro would have ripped through that plastic toy like tinfoil.
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

DocPHD wrote:amen to that. where can i find a high performance V8 like that, i wonder...
steal one from F1. they are too gay to deserve V8s anyway
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

eaglecatcher wrote:you need a rev limiter to powershift. Otherwise your engine go BOOM!

never did that again.
i can powershift in mine fine... clutch in and out at 6500rpm.. never goes a spec over redline. :)
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

Paolo300zx wrote:

never did that again.
i can powershift in mine fine... clutch in and out at 6500rpm.. never goes a spec over redline. :)
did you forget that I drive a mustang? silly goose. my car has no rev limiter, so it will rev all day long, until it goes BOOM!

I'm pretty sure your Z has a rev limiter, at least, the one I test drove had one. it was a 93, and it had a bad tranny, and it didn't like to go all the way into gear, so occasoinaly it would not go all the way in, let the clutch out and gas it, and wahwahwahwahwah, banging off the limiter.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

snikro wrote:Haha I love how in the beginning of this scene how the guy in the eclipse just SLAMS the shifter its like there was no resistance at all :lol:
And at 53 seconds how the guy sees him coming up and then floors his car, yeah like he wasnt already. And the nitrous always gets me too. :mrgreen:

My favorite part is how, right near the end, both cars were going 120+, and STILL had another gear to go! :lol: x 100
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

Nychold wrote:

My favorite part is how, right near the end, both cars were going 120+, and STILL had another gear to go! :lol: x 100
Yeah lol but it actually looks like he downshifts to 4th at 120 :DD
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DocPHD »

snikro wrote:
Nychold wrote:

...when i shift for power, i'm still in 4th untill about 130....
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

snikro wrote:
Nychold wrote:

My 4th in the BMW is good until 135 or so.

Subaru on the other hand ... 105. Oh yeah. :lol:
Mcfly
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mcfly »

Let's not look too deeply into Hollywood's interpretation of driving here gentlemen. Because you would need the force, young skywalker, to catch up in a drag race after spinning out in the dirt! It's so sad!
Driving: 2007 Mazda Speed 6 (try and find a slushy one!)
Previous Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

DocPHD wrote:
paul34 wrote:Or you just need a 12,000 RPM redline 8)
amen to that. where can i find a high performance V8 like that, i wonder...
Ferrari F50GT?

I dunno what the redline is, but on PGR3, I think its close to that. maybe only 10k.

Or maybe it uses a V10/V12.

I've love to build a 3.0L V8. can you say "banshee wail" for the exhaust note!? That would be so amazing. Of course, you'd pretty much have to custom build everything from the block up, so it might not be all that effective. I wonder if you can buy F1 engines, used or new...
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DocPHD »

eaglecatcher wrote:I've love to build a 3.0L V8. can you say "banshee wail" for the exhaust note!? That would be so amazing. Of course, you'd pretty much have to custom build everything from the block up, so it might not be all that effective. I wonder if you can buy F1 engines, used or new...
3.0 liter? what? :?. i thought three liters were still in the realm of six cylinders (straight six or v six)... i guess with very small cylinders it would be possible...
and i think ferraris do have 10s and 12s for that. fun fun :D
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

DocPHD wrote:
eaglecatcher wrote:I've love to build a 3.0L V8. can you say "banshee wail" for the exhaust note!? That would be so amazing. Of course, you'd pretty much have to custom build everything from the block up, so it might not be all that effective. I wonder if you can buy F1 engines, used or new...
3.0 liter? what? :?. i thought three liters were still in the realm of six cylinders (straight six or v six)... i guess with very small cylinders it would be possible...
and i think ferraris do have 10s and 12s for that. fun fun :D
Thats how they get their awesome sound, relatively small displacement for the amount of cylinders it uses.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs