how do u start off with a hard launch?

1320 feet of adrenaline
CrazyAznRacer
Junior Standardshifter

how do u start off with a hard launch?

Post by CrazyAznRacer »

ive seen ppl starting off by dropping the clutch then flooring it. Is there any specific way to do this or is dropping the clutch the only way?
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

i guess so...
:twisted:
Xk0rEaNb0iX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Xk0rEaNb0iX »

you could feather the clutch and gas more aggressively... but your clutch wouldn't appreciate it very much :lol:
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

which is more faster?
Xk0rEaNb0iX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Xk0rEaNb0iX »

i guess both would be the same as long as you don't peel out and smoke your rubbers. :lol:
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

but one thing is sure... you have to rev high...
Xk0rEaNb0iX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Xk0rEaNb0iX »

well it really depends. don't launch at redline with a FWD car because all you're gonna do is peel out and not get anywhere. RWD you can launch at a somewhat higher RPM but again, you'll burn rubber if you try to launch at redline.

watch what AWD can do :shock:
http://www.hpamotorsports.com/HPA_R32_TT.wmv
(launch from 6000rpm)
DupleX
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DupleX »

=] =] =] r32 =] =] =]
corradokid
Junior Standardshifter

Post by corradokid »

DupleX wrote:=] =] =] r32 =] =] =]
I sat in one at the dealership today. :D Wow, that shifter is like butter, so smooth and short. It felt like it was on some arcade game. I guess it better be good for $30,000 though.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

launching at red line ain't that dangerous?
Xk0rEaNb0iX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Xk0rEaNb0iX »

well you gotta make sure your drivetrain can handle it. upgraded clutch, etc.
Jhresto50
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Jhresto50 »

I wouldnt drop the clutch at red-line, two reasons, its horrible on the clutch and two, on amost all cars redline is just how fast the motor can run, it has nothing to do with how much torque the car is making (what gets you going), in theory you would probably want to rev the engine high enough so that when you dropped the clutch all the way down you would be in the peak powerband, in reality we have to deal with traction, invest in some good tires and experiment is the best advice I can give you :D
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Just to let you know, dumping the clutch is better for the clutch than slipping it. However, if you dump it, the rest of the drivetrain takes the stress, while slipping the clutch puts less wear on the drivetrain and more on the clutch.

Every car has a different optimum RPM at which to drop the clutch, and another optimum RPM for slipping the clutch. For my car, you'll generally get the best times dumping at 1900-2000 rpms, but you can get some great times slipping the clutch if you control traction perfectly as well.

For AWD, you'll want to dump the clutch at redline for best times, that's a given. For auto FWD and RWD, you'll be best off brake launching at 1500-2200 RPM, depending on the car. and for stick FWD and RWD, dump the clutch at anywhere from 1800-3000 rpms. The goal is to maintain traction if you've got a high horsepower car, or to rev up into the powerband if you've got less power and don't generally overwhelm your tires.
Akuma
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Akuma »

The clutch is supposed to be the weakest point of your transmission. That's why any mechanic who knows what they are talking about will tell you not to go out and get the strongest clutch for your car if it's not necessary.

And if you have an awd system, then most likely you'd be looking at upgrading your clutch as well as gears, and almost every other component of your transmission so it can handle it. That way you can dump it at the redline and your car can support stress.

This is why dsm's were notorious for their drivetrain problems. Half of it was because people would do redline drops after improving power and torque, but not upgrade any of their transmission and it would end up blowing up on em. Not really the daimler's fault though...just a factor they overlooked for the tuner guys.

Same thing for the dodge srt-4's. It has a great setup, and with a boost controller, you can put up better numbers, but then, they over looked the fact that the cv joints were the weakest part of the drivetrain.
94scortlx19
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 94scortlx19 »

Well i know my torque peaks @ 4000RPM, so i try to launch around 3500RPM, so that after the wheels stop chirpin and grab on, im right at the peak so i really get moving