best way to speed

1320 feet of adrenaline
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

watkins wrote:I sincerely hope you dont truely consider 70 as fast. Especially on a highway.
In my car, in which I rarely go over 40, about 55 is "high speed mode". Although I'm sure the car could do over 100 if you wanted to. (It's got 100 hp, and more torque than that).
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944

Post by DocPHD »

snikro wrote:In my car, in which I rarely go over 40, about 55 is "high speed mode". Although I'm sure the car could do over 100 if you wanted to. (It's got 100 hp, and more torque than that).
i had a car like that. with dirty carburators, it hit 90. :oops:
sloooowwww. but it was a 4-speed tranny.

your speed is a ratio of ([RPM]x[gear ratio])/([rear end diffrential]x[circumfrence of tires])

complicated? not really. you don't have to worry about it too much. General rule: cars have higher top speeds than trucks. the more speeds a transmission has, the higher it's top speed.

there are exceptions to the rules, but those are good for thumbnails.
torque and horsepower only help you jump off the line and speed up faster, respectively. a 5hp motor can get you up to 200 mph, but you'll have to wait a few days to do so :roll: .

for the record, my speedo goes up to 110, but i hit 150 on a track, and wasn't maxed out :D
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs
TheBears54
Junior Standardshifter

Post by TheBears54 »

Prodigal Son wrote:
NonChalant wrote:I don't like to drive fast. I like to accelerate fast.

Driving too fast can be dangerous. Accelerating fast is fun :)
I've never understood the attraction of pure acceleration. The attraction of speed I understand, though I am largely past the age at which I feel it, but the attraction of mere acceleration escapes me entirely. Where's the jollies in it?
I'd say if you don't understand the thrill of acceleration, then you've never felt it!

And probably never watched a good car movie.
'07 Subaru WRX
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

TheBears54 wrote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
NonChalant wrote:I don't like to drive fast. I like to accelerate fast.

Driving too fast can be dangerous. Accelerating fast is fun :)
I've never understood the attraction of pure acceleration. The attraction of speed I understand, though I am largely past the age at which I feel it, but the attraction of mere acceleration escapes me entirely. Where's the jollies in it?
I'd say if you don't understand the thrill of acceleration, then you've never felt it!

And probably never watched a good car movie.
I have... Both...

And on a different note... IT LIVES!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200