best way to speed

1320 feet of adrenaline
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

feeling the forces of speed push you back in your seat, upshifting, all of that. My favorite part of racing is the very begining- when you launch and upshift. it's a nice little thrill
Trinsic
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Trinsic »

Prodigal Son wrote:
NonChalant wrote:I don't like to drive fast. I like to accelerate fast.

Driving too fast can be dangerous. Accelerating fast is fun :)
I've never understood the attraction of pure acceleration. The attraction of speed I understand, though I am largely past the age at which I feel it, but the attraction of mere acceleration escapes me entirely. Where's the jollies in it?
Jeremy Clarkson put it best... "I like the feel of acceleration as all your internal organs are marshalled by the G-forces into a little puddle at the base of your spine." :P
Hey, it's faster than a Porsche 914. :P
Ironichumour
Master Standardshifter

Post by Ironichumour »

^ lol, good quote.

I'll try to explain this using the little Civic CX I drive as an example. Now, I have gotten that overgrown lawnmower to speeds that I really shouldn't have, and yes that is exciting (although I have gone faster in other cars and stuff...the feeling of the entire vehicle protesting what you're making it do is so much more entertaining :roll: :P ). But I would gladly give up some top speed in order to be able to *feel* the car accelerate. As it stands, no matter how much you mess with the car, it is difficult to be able to sense the car speeding up much simply because it does so too slowly...lol During acceleration is when you get to really feel the forces at work. *sigh* this is difficult to explain, I think the quote did a much better job at getting to the point :lol:
It's not what's on the outside, it's what's under the hood
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

Well, I grok that during acceleration, you feel the forces acting on your body, and, the the extreme, liquifying your organs. I get that it is a feeling. I just don't get why it is a pleasurable feeling. (Perhaps that is a question that is impossible to answer. Why do we find one physical sensations pleasurable and not another. If it is purely the enjoyment of the physical sensation, then it is going to be a case of each to their own taste and nothing much more to be said about it.) But I wonder if there isn't some sort of psychological aspect to it as well.

Thought experiment: If the pleasure is in the physical sensation alone, does rapid deceleration give the same pleasure? Does vertical acceleration, as in a high-speed elevator give the same pleasure?

Or, if the acceleration has to be felt in the back to be pleasurable, does rapid deceleration when seated backwards give the same pleasure?

And, does experiencing rapid acceleration in the back seat of someone else's car give the same pleasure as experinencing it from the driver's seat of your own car?

Do acceleration junkies love takeoff on an airplane?
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
ptcroozer
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ptcroozer »

this is my favorite ride at the fair, and it's always very popular:

the only reason for the existence of this ride is the thrill that comes from acceleration.
this is my regularly scheduled monthly post.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter

Post by Prodigal Son »

ptcroozer wrote: the only reason for the existence of this ride is the thrill that comes from acceleration.
I guess. You couldn't drag me onto that thing at gunpoint. Not an age thing either. You couldn't have dragged me onto it at gunpoint when I was 17.

I suppose it's a good thing we don't all like the same things.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter

Post by Prodigal Son »

Further thought experiment. Wouldn't installing a small centrifuge in your basement cost less than a sports car (supposing they were mass-produced) and give far more prolonged pleasure?
ptcroozer
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ptcroozer »

Prodigal Son wrote:Further thought experiment. Wouldn't installing a small centrifuge in your basement cost less than a sports car (supposing they were mass-produced) and give far more prolonged pleasure?
I think such a device already exists, and it's called a clothes dryer.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

I think you're talking about the washer. The dryer spins because it has to toss your clothes into the flow of hot air, not to have them pin to the drum as the hot air passes through the center.

Just for future reference.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

Prodigal Son wrote:
yup :)
Ironichumour
Master Standardshifter

Post by Ironichumour »

^ I second that. lol
It's not what's on the outside, it's what's under the hood
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Oh I enjoy airplane takeoffs. Decceleration is fun too (I think. I've never really given that much thought).

Physics class here: When a body is traveling at a constant velocity (ex. a really high speed that thrills some people), it is still in equilibrium and therefore no forces are acting on it.

My professor (and I) like the example of a person waking up in a room in a large craft. The room is all white with no windows. The person technically could never tell whether the room was traveling at a constant velocity or not. It could be going fast or not moving at all. it's simply not detectable. Acceleration could be felt, though. Especially if its hard :twisted:

Anywho yeah. Acceleration = Forces. Forces = Fun. At least for me.
Last edited by NonChalant on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptcroozer
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ptcroozer »

scionkid wrote:I think you're talking about the washer. The dryer spins because it has to toss your clothes into the flow of hot air, not to have them pin to the drum as the hot air passes through the center.

Just for future reference.
okay, so if my car breaks down and I just have to experience the sensation of speed, I'm going to get inside the washer and turn in on spin. or whatever.
JackBauer wrote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
yup :)
at first I read that as asking if acceleration junkies love jumping off airplanes. :lol:
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

Too much acceleration is bad. It's not the speed that kills, it's the instantaneous deceleration from a crash that does.

I like acceleration as long as it's reasonable. 0-60 mph in 5 seconds is great, but 60-0 in half a second is not.
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

ironic, how many hp does teh civic have? my toyota has 82...i LOVE getting going fast...wait...whats getting going fast? :lol: