enlighten me

1320 feet of adrenaline
Junior Standardshifter

enlighten me

Post by newbie »

heres the thing...i discovered that when im driving (manual) and i slam the clutch while accelerating(just say on 2nd gear)...the car will rev up heaps and it gives me this massive boast...

can somebody tell me what the hell that is...is it a driving technique or am i just screwing up my car...

:?
The YoYo Freak
Junior Standardshifter

Post by The YoYo Freak »

I believe it's called 'popping the clutch'.
Popping the clutch: Invariably, you will miss your gear (or release the clutch too quickly) and the car will lurch ahead. Often at the outset, you will pop the clutch too quickly and stall the car. Don't worry, it happens to everyone. Just get those exercises out of the way before you find yourself in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Not too sure though, but sure sounds like it.

Jared
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

You can call it a driving technique if you want, and some do, but it is quite hard on everything downstream of the clutch; The transmission, driveshaft (if equipped), u- or cv-joints, differential, axles, wheels and tires.

Using that as a strategy will also make it quite difficult to drive in reduced-traction situations; Rain, snow, ice, dirt, mud, gravel, etc.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

hey you can't blame the guy for experamenting... exploring what you can do and can't do is one of the things that makes driving manual fun :lol: :lol:
:twisted:
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Yep
Ro(/\)tary
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Ro(/\)tary »

When I first learned how to drive a stick I would sometimes gas a little too much while downshifting gears before going up a hill. It's probably alright unless your car jerks kinda hard when you do this because it is adding a little extra wear to your tranny.
...Pistons bad, Rotors good