Drag Racing tips!

1320 feet of adrenaline
GotPepsi
Junior Standardshifter

Drag Racing tips!

Post by GotPepsi »

Okay, so i was watching this drag race. A hyundai, with a Cold air system, Vs a 91 toyota celica (stock). Of couse the hyundai won. I drive stick but i nevered raced befor. Are you suppose to drag 1st gear out till 5000+ RPMS then you shift, for the quickest take off? Then shift to second and drag that gear to to the fullest extent, then 3rd & 4th...? Some times im just crusing on 5th and i shift down to 4th to pass cars on the highway, which is not really necessary but its fun lol..
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

depends on your car's power band but i think on most cars the power dies off a little before redline and you'll have more in the next gear. my car redlines at 7k and i usually shift around 6500 if i'm going flat out. i've heard for actual times it might be better for my car to shift at 6k.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Drag racing, you want to go as fast as possible down the track in a straight line.

Rev it up, let the clutch out quick (but controlled), and go to redline in 1st. 1st-2nd has the largest gap of any gears in your transmission, when you go up into 2nd you want to be as high into the powerband as possible. Then, rev out 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and possibly 5th gears to a little below redline. Most cars don't produce power all the way to redline, and for those gears when you upshift you'll be plenty high in the powerband in the next gear.

I've never been to the dragstrip (too damned far away, like 40-50 miles for me). But in regular old straight-line racing around here that's how I do it. My car redlines at 6000, but only produces good power to 5200. 1st I'll go all the way to 6k, then 5500 in 2nd, 5200 in 3rd, and I usually don't go all the way through 4th.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I'd like to drag my car sometime, even if I run a 18.7sec 1/4 mile lol

Drag racing doesn't seem all that exciting, but i bet its pretty fun when you're the one driving.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Oldladykiller
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Oldladykiller »

just shift at redline. if your car redline at 6k and ur peak power is 5500 then shift at about 6k. i guess it depends on the car but i dont think u will lose much power between 5500 and 6k.