Coffee Can Exhasuts

1320 feet of adrenaline
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

Johnf514 wrote:An aftermarket exhaust on an Elantra? Unless you're doing some under-the-hood mods, save your money. It will not increase your power any and will not earn any "street cred" as well. I would also be quite vary of voiding the warranty - you're going to want that intact.
"You represent me now. Whatchu think, I'm gonna let you roll in a hyundai?!"

-F&FTD

I'm not dissing your car, hell, its probably about as fast as mine, but I certainly wouldn't put an exhaust on a car unless it's got something under the hood to back it up. Thats just my opinion though. If you've got the money, and want a better exhaust note, then go for it.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Post by mesaboogie18 »

I'm not gonna add any performance parts to my car(including a folgers coffee can exhaust) b/c it's new and I don't wanna void any part of the warranty. The car is quick enough without adding an air inake and exhaust system to maybe gain like 5hp with like $300 worth of parts...doesn't seem worth it. And as for what's under the hood it's got more than most in it's class and is more worthy of suping up than one of those. It's better looking too in my opinion and has a classier interior; do civics or corollas even come with leather seats as an option? The Hyundai stigma will be gone in a few years seeing as since 2004 Hyundai's been tied with Honda in reliablity at #2. Since they sell cars with much better quality than before and for the same low sticker price they'll be up there soon. Remember, Hondas weren't exactly the coolest cars when they first came out. As for movie quotes making fun of other cars in the 80's movie "Innerspace" when Martin Short gets in Dennis Quaid's sports car Quaid says "Be careful, this isn't a Honda." My car is by no means the best car on the road but for the price and the @$$ loads of standard equipment(which is EVERYTHING) I couldn't be happier with anything else in it's class. It's got just as much potential as any other compact car for suping up, but unlike the others it doesn't need it to have decent performance. For thousands less than a Civic or Corrola it has more options and more power.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

jomotopia wrote:my stock exhaust is a 3 inch tip. it's pretty big but it's not a melon shooter or fart can by any means.

as far as mods vs warranty goes, your warranty can't be outright voided, they can only refuse specific claims, if they can show that your mod directly contributed to the problem.

for instance, if you put on an exhaust and then your suspension breaks, they will have to cover it because there's no way an exhaust relates to that. but, change the exhaust and then your O2 sensor or your engine has problems, you might have trouble with the warranty claim.
8)

:oops:
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

I have an aftermarket exhaust... 4" outlet, however, it actually isnt all that loud (until you take the rpms up). I also have a CAI too. Also lowered 2"... for all you "mod haters" out there, yes I like to have a sportier appearance.... think it's rice? so sue me... :x
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

i was driving home from Davis on Wednesday, cruising happily at 80 mph in the left lane. i see this red and white "thing" that i'm approaching driving in the lane next to me. i say to my friend "WTF is that thing?". he says "i think its a CRX". as we get closer, we were able to confirm its identity as a CRX. complete with white primered wide body kit on red sheet metal, lowered to the ground, riding on steelies, and of course the obligatory loud, buzzy ricer fart can.

as i get closer i let off the throttle and run side by side next to it for a couple seconds to see what "goodies" he has inside (all i saw were bright neon blue gauges). poor ricer thinks i want to race, downshifts, and makes a whole lot of noise. and then proceeds to s..l..o..w..l..y pull ahead of me (im cruising at ~70 mph now). we laugh. he realizes i'm not racing, stops gunning it and slows back down. i think to myself "what a loser" and downshift to 4th, and dip the throttle 3/4 the way down to resume my 80+ cruising speed. my car is accelerating faster than that poor CRX at WOT, with 3 people and trunk full of luggage. i pass the ricer, and poor guy thinks i'm racing again. i hear more noise and there it is behind me (there was a car in front of him), then he switches back to the lane next to me and passes me. my friend goes "dude his bumper looks like its gonna fly off". :lol:

oh ricers. they're good for entertainment if nothing else. :D
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

PureLife wrote:8)
nice :D
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

jomotopia wrote:
*peers*

does it say STi on it? i can't make it out (and im serious)
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

scion_xA_gf wrote:
jomotopia wrote:
*peers*

yes, yes it does :)
Purelife, you should do a full STi drivetrain conversion :D
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

Sypher wrote:
scion_xA_gf wrote:
jomotopia wrote: nice :D
*peers*

yes, yes it does :)

thanks! *cheers* i can read!
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Is that a neon?
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

mesaboogie18 wrote:Is that a neon?
it's an Impreza
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

The tail lights look like neon's lights
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

Sypher wrote: yes, yes it does :)
Honestly, I have the money to buy the drivetrain, front crossmember, suspension, brakes, the whole lot, but I don't have a garage nor time and I really don't feel like paying someone for something that's a very straight forward project.

Maybe one day.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

VTECaddict wrote:i was driving home from Davis on Wednesday . . .
Great story, VTECaddict. I'm amazed he didn't give you the "ricer-fly-by." With hazards flashing well after your supposed "race" was over. :lol:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

2004 VW GTI 1.8T