Coffee Can Exhasuts

1320 feet of adrenaline
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

Coffee Can Exhasuts

Post by mesaboogie18 »

So who here has one on their car? I'm thinking of putting an aftermarket exhaust system on my car sometime in the future but I'm afraid it might void my warranty. (Not a raspy fart cannon either, just something sporty sounding.)
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
dirtybrushes
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dirtybrushes »

I doubt putting on an aftermarket exhuast system will void any warranties, unless it adversely affects the performance of the car and the dealership can prove that your exhaust was the thing that caused the problem. But check your warranty for what it'll actually cover... or better yet, find a forum for you make and model :D

But i would say go for it! :D
Coupe31705
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Coupe31705 »

my dealership covers most anything under warranty that wont change your engine type(putting turbo on a N/A engine) if you let them do the install
Wanna give me insurance $$$?
02SATURN5SPD
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 02SATURN5SPD »

I hate the guy going through my neighborhood at 3am with his fart can. I can still hear him until he pulled into his driveway at home two blocks away.

I'd rather live near a railroad track.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

my stock exhaust is a 3 inch tip. it's pretty big but it's not a melon shooter or fart can by any means.

as far as mods vs warranty goes, your warranty can't be outright voided, they can only refuse specific claims, if they can show that your mod directly contributed to the problem.

for instance, if you put on an exhaust and then your suspension breaks, they will have to cover it because there's no way an exhaust relates to that. but, change the exhaust and then your O2 sensor or your engine has problems, you might have trouble with the warranty claim.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Thanks for the input fellas. :wink:
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

subzero wrote:a fart can is the pinnacle of ricer exhaust mods.

its a bootleg "exhaust system" (read: muffler) which has price tags that walmart couldnt beat ;)

sometimes these ricers get them installed at junk yards for a huge discount as opposed to a "shop".

the sound is very recognizable. its a loud, obnoxious, ear piercing, gay sound.

this is what a fart can sounds like. and this

20 second ricer
FREE ROMAN!
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

An aftermarket exhaust on an Elantra? Unless you're doing some under-the-hood mods, save your money. It will not increase your power any and will not earn any "street cred" as well. I would also be quite vary of voiding the warranty - you're going to want that intact.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Yeah the stock exhaust on my car is pretty sophisticated. It's designed so that when there is little throttle input the decibal levels are very quiet but when you rev the engine high a valve in the exhaust opens up and allows for more air flow.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

scion_xA
Senior Standardshifter

Post by scion_xA »

02SATURN5SPD wrote:I hate the guy going through my neighborhood at 3am with his fart can. I can still hear him until he pulled into his driveway at home two blocks away.

I'd rather live near a railroad track.
I have to deal with both
2006 Scion xA
Mods: TRD Short Shifter
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Forget performance exhaust on the Elantra. I don't know what engine you've got, but the stock exhaust probably flows plenty for that car. Not only that, but an engine needs backpressure, you put on some higher-flowing exhaust you'll lose some torque. Remember, unless you do some intake work on the car exhaust won't do much.

I hate fart cans, lol. They just have this annoying sound I can't stand. I'd take a pushrod V8 with true dual exhaust and an aggressive cam any day over a can of bees.

Generally, I think that unless it sounds decent stock you shouldn't be putting a performance exhaust on, unless you upgrade other stuff.

This is what my car sounds like stock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHpqbescz7U

I've had people think I've got a flowmaster back there. Its stock though, I've thought about getting a flowmaster so the car will have a deeper rumble to it.
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

Aftermarket exhaust upgrades are gettin old in my humble opinion. They're turning up on all kinds of pieces of crap. They're like hood ornaments for the rear end. Either that, or I'm gettin old and grumpy :lol:
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

Yeah I don't really need an aftermarket exhaust on my car b/c the stock exhaust has a valve that opens up at higher RPM's to allow it to flow more freely, and at lower RPM's stays closed to keep decibal levels down so my exhaust is quite. My engine on the other hand is LOUD when it revs up. Louder than most other 4bangers I've driven. It's not annoyingly loud, it's got a nice sound to it. It's a 2.0L DOHC with VVT. Makes 138hp and 136lb/ft torque, so I can't really afford to lose any torque with an aftermarket cannon.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

JRicoCTG
Senior Standardshifter

Post by JRicoCTG »

you probly wont have warranty problems...just dont buy an evo if you like your warranty. mitsu will void it for bumper stickers.

its harder to find a good exhaust. my friend just got a borla(i tihnk)} on his tiburon gt. sounds amazing..nice deeper tone to it.
There's No Rehab for Stupidity.

1994 Mazda MX-3
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I love borla exhausts.

I saw the ricer w/ his stupid little fart can today, and he was revving at me, so I was like "f**k you" and then I peeled out, and he was like "oh snaps" in my rearview mirror, and then he turned the other way and left. it was funny.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs