Coffee Can Exhasuts

1320 feet of adrenaline
300zxTT
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1990 Nissan 240SX

Post by 300zxTT »

sometime in the future I'll be installin a blitz nur spec exhaust,they are VERY NICE.Check out the sound it makes,nice deep tone....not like a friggin mosquito like most of those hondas make.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gyB7nfGtaBk
1990 240sx with 96'KA24de
"Straightaways are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers."
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

paul34 wrote:Yea. I can't justify spending all that money for a nicer sounding exhaust because well... it doesn't do anything for my car except change the noise... which I suppose can be ok, but not at a few hundred dollars. In cars like mine, I believe more in suspension upgrades than "performance" or aesthetic upgrades (well, sorta).

There are some ok exhausts for the tC. The Toyota-optioned TRD exhaust and optional Borla exhaust is pretty nice, but most find it too quiet. I wouldn't mind that, because I personally don't want a loud car that attracts attention.

Plus, I don't want to lose my low-end torque... although people tell me an axle-back won't let that happen since it won't help or hinder performance.

Otherwise, a lot of people are using this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_HUJ12r-oQ

But I dunno. A lot of these exhausts sound pretty good at low RPMs, but then when they open up, they sound all fart canny

like listen here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ndG-Q9pLn5M

yea... I dunno about that one
I had a flowmaster exhaust system on my Z28. That really had some RUMBLE to it. It would wake up the neighbors in the morning, and if I was driving around you'd hear me like a block or 2 away. I'm not sure if I want to hear what a Camaro sounds like with nothing but a couple of glasspacks :shock: . Now, I didn't put that exhaust on there, I doubt it gave it any performance gains (and to this day I quote it as being stock, as most the flowmaster gives 2-3 hp), but it sure did sound nice. If I was going for an exhaust system I'd have to go with a Borla or a Flowmaster, to really get good gains from exhaust you need good flowing heads, some headers, and some well-bent large pipes going all the way to the rear with no cats and a rather hollow muffler. That'd sound like a harley though, lol.

I hate the "can of bees" noise that just about all performance import mufflers make...is it just something with 4-cylinders and an exhaust system with a huge tip? To me, there's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 with a cam and some true-dual exhaust.
La Porta
Senior Standardshifter

Post by La Porta »

eaglecatcher wrote:I love borla exhausts.

I saw the ricer w/ his stupid little fart can today, and he was revving at me, so I was like "suck you" and then I peeled out, and he was like "oh snaps" in my rearview mirror, and then he turned the other way and left. it was funny.
My friend has a story sort of like that. He has a mini Cooper S (not exactly my choice of car, but not bad), and this loud, fart pipe 80's honda pulls up with 4 kids in it. They are both going down the road, and the kids start laughin and pointing at his car. All of a sudden, the honda just dies in the middle of the road, and my friend jets off!
Before you get any ideas, i'm from NY...I don't have a southern accent.
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

Exhausts don't just Change the sound, they actually DO give HP gains. Coupled with Headers and Intake, you got a car that's MUCH better NA than stock.
MustangGT
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MustangGT »

I don't see a point in upgrading one's exhaust just to change the sound - might as well stick some decals on the hood...
V8 Mustang - the stereo's under the hood...
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

MustangGT wrote:I don't see a point in upgrading one's exhaust just to change the sound - might as well stick some decals on the hood...
But then you could argue the same point with new wheels, tint ... anything...
Brass
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Tacoma X-Runner

Post by Brass »

My neighbor (and Pastor :wink: ) has a restored 1940 Ford truck with a 380 crate engine and dual can pipes. You can hear the muscle flexing from down the street! The truck is crazy fast too. :twisted:

I may be buying a 96 Mustang GT with Magnaflow Exhausts. It's an auto, though :( but when you don't have a car at all, I will take an auto Stang GT any ol' day of the week! So I'm still holding out for the day when I can buy a standard car.......meh. :P
:) God Bless
.......Yay my avy workz!
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

hehe. I made my own exhaust. It has a 2.5" downpipe, goes into a glasspack under the car, and uses 2" pipes to the rear where it has a Dynomax turbo muffler and a resonator exhaust tip.. It sounds pretty good too, nice and deep and smooth but not too loud.
Burkemotorcross
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Burkemotorcross »

eaglecatcher wrote:I love borla exhausts.

I saw the ricer w/ his stupid little fart can today, and he was revving at me, so I was like "suck you" and then I peeled out, and he was like "oh snaps" in my rearview mirror, and then he turned the other way and left. it was funny.
lol, the same thing happened to me at a stop light, some dude in a riceburner was revving his engine next to me at a stop light, so when the light turned green i lit up the tires on my 5 speed Jeep Cherokee, and since 1st gear is a granny gear, i peeled out about 100 feet before i regained traction. 8) lol the look in the ricers face was priceless.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I like the sound of import engines, but not buzzy exhausts. I do like the ones like they ahve on the rx-7 and the 350Z in tokyo drift, those sound pretty badass, but they've got other power mods too which probably alters the sound. I'd like to know what kind of exhausts they have though.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs