BETTER THAN DRAG?!

1320 feet of adrenaline
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

BETTER THAN DRAG?!

Post by ReckLess »

what could be any funner than drifting?!! hehehe it's challenging and fun... hehehe peace!
Mec
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mec »

Yea, I actualy JUST lost my on campus parking privlidges because some lady saw pull off a drift in the parking lot. I diddn't get any major angle, but still managed to piss off EVERYONE.
Odin
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Odin »

Drifting is a lot of fun. Just make sure there are no other cars around.
Nssnman
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Nssnman »

how do you exacute a drift? Is it necessary to have a rear drive car ?
Mec
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Mec »

Nssnman wrote:how do you exacute a drift? Is it necessary to have a rear drive car ?
Its not necessary, but it does help A LOT. You can still drift in a fwd, but its harder, and you won't get as good angles as you could in a rwd.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

how to drift?

Post by ReckLess »

how to drift.. well.. there are six "basic" way to drift.. i'll explain the most common one of all the "e-brake" drift
1. Enter a turn at a speed too high for the vehicle to handle (if you do not drift, your vehicle should experience understeer at this speed).

2. Heel-Toe Downshift to get your vehicle into a gear low enough to pull you through a drift (2nd gear).

3. Turn your wheels sharply into the turn. By the time you finish downshifting and turning your wheels, you should be at the apex of the turn.

4. Hold in the release button on your E-Brake and pull up your brake sharply, then quickly release (e-brake is held up for only about 1 second). If using a RWD car, clutch in while pulling your E-Brake. If using a FWD car, keep on the throttle while pulling your E-Brake.

5. When you feel the vehicle’s rear end kicking out, immediately countersteer the wheels to face straight with the road. Your vehicle will pull in the direction of the front wheels, as long as the wheels are still moving. Keep on the throttle. If you press the brakes or let off the throttle because your vehicle is in an extremely oversteered condition, you will spin out or leave the road.

6. When you wish to straighten out your car, after completing the drift, let off the throttle smoothly and straighten out the wheels as your vehicle kicks in line behind the front tires.

or you can do the "power over" drifting
1. Enter a turn at any speed. The powerover drift is based on horsepower so it does not necessarily need much speed or rotational force to perform.

2. Turn your wheels sharply into the turn, and get on the throttle enough to cause your wheels to lose traction. The cornering force of the vehicle combined with the excessive throttle will cause your vehicle to oversteer.

3. When you feel the vehicle’s rear end kicking out, immediately countersteer the wheels to face straight with the road. Your vehicle will pull in the direction of the front wheels, as long as the wheels are still moving. Keep on the throttle. If you press the brakes or let off the throttle because your vehicle is in an extremely oversteered condition, you will spin out or leave the road.

4. When you wish to straighten out your car, after completing the drift, let off the throttle smoothly and straighten out the wheels as your vehicle kicks in line behind the front tires.

drifting is not only fun but it also teaches you how to control your car... experament with the e-brake and power over and figure other way to drift... after you learn how to control your car try drifting in snow and rain.. its diffrent but still fun
chenga
Senior Standardshifter

Post by chenga »

If you use the e-brake, you're not really drifting. It's more of a power slide then.
Xk0rEaNb0iX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Xk0rEaNb0iX »

chenga wrote:If you use the e-brake, you're not really drifting. It's more of a power slide then.
that's not necessarily true. you can't really slide out the rear end of a FWD car unless you lock up the rear wheels using the e-brake. powersliding is basically sliding the entire car sideways, while drifting is sliding only the rear end while maintaining traction in the front wheels to go around the turn.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Odd; I had the opposite understanding.

Powerslide is caused by a judicious application of...power...in a vehicle driven by the correct wheels. :)

Whereas "four-wheel drift" is an expression I've often heard (though the front wheels' drift is often attained by countersteering rather than by sliding the wheels sideways).

I'm not sure there's a consistent generally-accepted terminology.
Xk0rEaNb0iX
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Xk0rEaNb0iX »

well i'm guessing drifting as in for show, where the more sideways the car goes through the turn, the "cooler" it looks... but i could be wrong. i'd think if you tried to powerslide on a turn, you'd end up just slipping sideways and slam into the wall. :shock:

but that's just me.
Akira714
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Akira714 »

I dont really consider just powersliding a drift. But rather, doing it through a series of corners and still maintianing control.
chenga
Senior Standardshifter

Post by chenga »

I should have been more clear. Using the e-brake is more like a power slide because the rear wheels lose traction. It's not a power slide in the sense that you use power to cause the slide, sorry.

I was taught that drifting should be four-wheel drift, which is why I think of using the e-brake as more of a power slide.
IMBoring25 wrote:Odd; I had the opposite understanding.

Powerslide is caused by a judicious application of...power...in a vehicle driven by the correct wheels. :)

Whereas "four-wheel drift" is an expression I've often heard (though the front wheels' drift is often attained by countersteering rather than by sliding the wheels sideways).

I'm not sure there's a consistent generally-accepted terminology.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Would love to observe how u guys perform it LIVE :!:
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

unfortunately there's no car that i can practice on and also i don't have a video cam but you can always download clips of cars doing some major sweeeeeeeeetttttttt drifting action
:twisted:
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Ok thanks :wink:. That is a good idea :idea: