Just a question.

1320 feet of adrenaline
TomCivic
Senior Standardshifter

Just a question.

Post by TomCivic »

I'm 17 and I just got a 2001 Honda Civic Ex which is a standard, of course. I was just wondering, if you're taking off, say in a drag race, is it ok to keep the gas to the floor while you change gears? I know this might sound silly but this is my first time driving a standard and I'm still improving on my launch :-X. I know there will obviously be some wear on the engine but I was just wondering if there's serious potential to break something serious. Btw, I'm not doing any racing soon, just a question lol.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

shifting with the gas floored is called power shifting, and yeah it's very hard on the car. i don't think it will cause any immediate catastrophic failures, but it is certainly something i wouldn't do in my own car.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
TomCivic
Senior Standardshifter

thanks

Post by TomCivic »

Yeah, the Civic I got is in mint condition. There was only one owner before me and he must have taken care of it because clutch catches pretty low and the transmission is still excellent. I don't have to money to replace any of that so I think i'll just drive smart.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

good thinking ;)

as they say, "you gotta pay to play" :P can't risk messing something up if you can't afford to fix it.
TomCivic
Senior Standardshifter

cool.

Post by TomCivic »

It is still a good idea to keep a little gas through shifting just to keep the rpms up. Sometimes the engine will lug out when i switch up, but maybe its just cause i'm shifting too early. I usually like shifting at 2.75 rpm, I find that the smoothest, but when i'm taking off onto the highway i'll try to hit 3.5. Sometimes i like to go to 4 to piss my dad off too.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Re: cool.

Post by screenname »

TomCivic wrote:It is still a good idea to keep a little gas through shifting just to keep the rpms up. Sometimes the engine will lug out when i switch up, but maybe its just cause i'm shifting too early. I usually like shifting at 2.75 rpm, I find that the smoothest, but when i'm taking off onto the highway i'll try to hit 3.5. Sometimes i like to go to 4 to piss my dad off too.
I have a 2001 Civic DX Coupe, and I drive it very randomly. Sometimes, I shift at low RPMs and accelerate very slowly. Usually, I rev the engine up to what sounds like 3500 RPM before shifting (I don't have a tach). When my parents are in the car, I try not to rev too high. When I'm alone, I sometimes rev the engine all the way up to redline. I've even hit the rev limiter a few times, which was pretty fun!
jomotopia

Re: cool.

Post by jomotopia »

TomCivic wrote:It is still a good idea to keep a little gas through shifting just to keep the rpms up. Sometimes the engine will lug out when i switch up, but maybe its just cause i'm shifting too early. I usually like shifting at 2.75 rpm, I find that the smoothest, but when i'm taking off onto the highway i'll try to hit 3.5. Sometimes i like to go to 4 to piss my dad off too.
yeah, leaving a little gas during the shift is good, especially the 1-2 shift. i usually prefer to reapply a little gas at the same time or just before the clutch. i usually rev up close to redline on 2nd and 3rd a few times a day. i just love the way my car pulls at high rpms :twisted:

i've hit the rev limiter a few times too :(
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

yeah, if you cant afford to fix it, then don't do it.

I was considering getting a jeep or pickup or other truck for my first car, but I decided I'd rather not, because then i would be tempted to take it off roading, and with that, just like racing, things break, and I don't have lots of money. So unless you or your parents are willing to fix a destroyed clutch or engine, don't do things that will wear it prematurely.
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

That's exactly why I abuse my car so much. If the clutch goes, my dad will buy a new one. My dad also said that he'd replace the "throwout bearing" (in his words: "whatever the hell that is") if it decides to crap out, because he keeps the clutch floored at a stop light.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

I have a 01' Civic Si (US model Ex) and I visit civic forums and I know the durability of the drivetrain in our cars.... Lets just say if you are planning to do any racing, you better have lots of money because parts breaks easily in our cars under stress :?
TomCivic
Senior Standardshifter

Post by TomCivic »

Yeah, I guess i'll just have to stick to picking up babes.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

there you go

thats much more fun than racing anyways