Burnout

1320 feet of adrenaline
manualshift
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Mazda 3 Sport GS

Burnout

Post by manualshift »

Okay so how do people make their cars stay in one place when doing a burnout in a FWD. I don't think it's a matter of power is it? Since this car doesn't look very powerful lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT8Bwr8p7qg

and this one somewhat got some power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgm-RJuK4kM

Anyways i've tried pulling the hand break, and rev it round 1-2k under red line and it still moves, tried going reverse first too. Could it be the way i step on the gas when im doing it? Am i not supposed to "floor" it and keep my revs high (1-2k under redline)? Am i supposed to keep it low?

Any tips would be appreciated

thanks

and yeah i just wanna do it once out of curiosity LOL
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Burnout

Post by theholycow »

Handbrake...though the one in that first video looks like it might be chained to the forklift. It also looks like there's liquid under the front tires and the rears are on dry ground.

It's a really violent thing to do to your car. You yank the handbrake all the way, rev it up to redline and sidestep the clutch (don't ease off it). At least, that's how I understand it's done...I'm damn well not going to do it, not even in a rental car.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Find fresh black tarmac. It is much more slippery than regular concrete and will produce more smoke. Just a few days ago, I was at the campus of a college with a friend looking at a car he wanted to buy. Even with my tires that will barely chirp 1st with a 3k clutch dump on normal concrete, I could gas it in 1st with my foot to the floor and they would start spinning.

Another thing to make sure of is having shitty tires. Even my fairly ok allseasons that I currently have aren't good burnout material. My old ones on the other hand, I could light up like no other. It was kind of fun in a "Damn this is smoky and violent" kind of way :lol:
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

Yank the handbrake all the way up, rev it to the redline, dump the clutch.

Easyest way, and not too much damage on any parts, alltough, a LOT of stress to transmission, and cluch, wich might eventually brake, if you do that much.

When you do that, you might want to try on wet pavement or any other not too grippy surface, not on gravel though, you would only get stuck.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
manualshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by manualshift »

i worked graveyards last night and this morning (kind of cold start - just warmed up idle for like 4 mins then drove around for 1 min haha) i did it bout 2 burnouts like 3 secs long. tires actually smoked lool

so yeah how bad did i f**k up my car? never doing it again i feel bad now lol
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

If you have no symptoms then you probably didn't break anything. The next time something fails, you can decide if it would have lasted longer had you not done the burnouts.

If you do it every day you'll definitely break stuff often.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
manualshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by manualshift »

theholycow wrote:If you have no symptoms then you probably didn't break anything. The next time something fails, you can decide if it would have lasted longer had you not done the burnouts.

thansk for the reply, makes me feel somewhat better a little bit, nothing worse than regretting something when you've done somethign stupid and wasn't thinking at the time. all i was worried about was maybe the timing belt? or the engine coulda been stressed since its pretty cold out and i was revving like 1k under red line
manualshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by manualshift »

btw was the sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUouT7p ... re=related

like VROOM VROOOM VROOOM is that him hitting the rev limiter? and isnt that bad?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

Yeah if it sounds like the engine is speeding up, then dropping and repeating then it's hitting the rev limiter
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

keep the gas floored for 2 seconds in neutral, and you will learn what it souds when you hit on revlimiter
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

manualshift wrote:
theholycow wrote:If you have no symptoms then you probably didn't break anything. The next time something fails, you can decide if it would have lasted longer had you not done the burnouts.

thansk for the reply, makes me feel somewhat better a little bit, nothing worse than regretting something when you've done somethign stupid and wasn't thinking at the time.
Kinda like finding the condom tore and waiting a month to see how it all cums out?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
manualshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by manualshift »

or not sure if you pulled out at the right time LOL both has happened already
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
manualshift wrote:

thansk for the reply, makes me feel somewhat better a little bit, nothing worse than regretting something when you've done somethign stupid and wasn't thinking at the time.
Kinda like finding the condom tore and waiting a month to see how it all cums out?
:shock: Thank you for the mild heart attack, brother.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200