Launching

1320 feet of adrenaline
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

We've had many discussions about this. You CAN launch an auto, and it's much more consistent as well. Not to mention launching an auto with a turbo.. piece of cake.

And it's not about power. It's about complete power curves, curb weights, gearing, and most importantly, traction. In passenger cars, the only advantage manuals have over autos is better gearing, in general. Those advantages disappear with certain modifications, and have been getting slimmer now that there are 5-, 6-, and 7-speed autos.

As for your little race, was it at the strip or street? If street, anything, and I mean anything, can happen on the street. That's what happens when not everyone knows it's a race, when you don't have specially prepared pavement, when you don't have timing equipment, etc. Nevertheless, a CRX is a very lightweight car, and getting a motor swap makes it a much quicker car. Not to mention that you didn't launch the auto (judging from your post). All that means that it's very plausible that he could beat you handily, even if both of you launched well.
italian_princess0421
Junior Standardshifter

Post by italian_princess0421 »

LS1Leader wrote:We've had many discussions about this. You CAN launch an auto, and it's much more consistent as well. Not to mention launching an auto with a turbo.. piece of cake.

And it's not about power. It's about complete power curves, curb weights, gearing, and most importantly, traction. In passenger cars, the only advantage manuals have over autos is better gearing, in general. Those advantages disappear with certain modifications, and have been getting slimmer now that there are 5-, 6-, and 7-speed autos.

As for your little race, was it at the strip or street? If street, anything, and I mean anything, can happen on the street. That's what happens when not everyone knows it's a race, when you don't have specially prepared pavement, when you don't have timing equipment, etc. Nevertheless, a CRX is a very lightweight car, and getting a motor swap makes it a much quicker car. Not to mention that you didn't launch the auto (judging from your post). All that means that it's very plausible that he could beat you handily, even if both of you launched well.
hummmm im not good at this kinda talk but ill try to figure this out....that race my bf was talkin bout was on the street. i think it was on smooth road...not sure though. sooo u are syain that if he had launched the car, my mustang could have won?
*$_princess_$*
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

depending on what motor he has in there (most likely a B18 ), crx can pack quite a punch with a bigger motor. And An auto can launch faster becasue it could hold the rpm's using the breaks or put it into nuetral and pop it back down when they need to go.

You should as him whats teh engine code for teh motor he put in.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Smooth road doesn't match the specially prepared surface used on dragstrips. There's literally glue used to prep the staging areas (start line) of a dragstrip, all of which improves traction.

If he had properly launched the auto car, he would have had a better chance at winning. Of course, that depends heavily on what engine was in the CRX. But it would have helped.
italian_princess0421
Junior Standardshifter

Post by italian_princess0421 »

its a B16 in the CRX...and my stang is stock, but its has betten lots of other cars we have raced.
*$_princess_$*
TransAm350fi
Junior Standardshifter

Post by TransAm350fi »

What are you running in that Firebird. My 87 Trans Am has...
383 TPI stroker .165 overbored, AFR 210 Heads, Comp Pro Mag roller rockers, MSD Pro Billit Distributer, AC Delco Rapidfires gapped at.035 with MSD 8.5mm wires, B&M Shortshifter (get one, you'll love it), 3 inch cutout (best $30 i've put in the car), 3.23 posi, Weld Draglites 15x5 front 205/75-15 radials, 15x10's 5.5" BS with Hoosier Quik Time Pro DOT slicks 28x11.5, Spohn tubular LCA, Aeromotive A2000 electric fuel pump, 36 lbs injectors, hooker supercomp catback, had hooker supercomp 2055 headers at the time, sig posts the time, see what I meant when the sig says much more :D
Last edited by TransAm350fi on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12.278 @113.45mph on an 87 Trans Am
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

That's a lot of money, buddy. :)
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

And it is still "street legal," eh? :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

You mean, with them slicks and skinnies he got there? :)

I've heard of people crazy enough to drive with skinnies on the street... Those wheels weren't meant to be driven on the street, and I've heard of a few cracking and failing because of it.
pontiacracer
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pontiacracer »

Mike_E wrote:
DeathShadow wrote:Manual Transmissions are def. better for racing by far.
sry dude but ur so wrong its not even funny, autos are soooo good for racing, because it can do it perfect every time, if u disagree than look at any drag event auto's are banned. if you are taking 2 stock cars, exactly the same manual wouldnt always win just by the fact of where the auto is programmed to shift if its under performance auto then it may shift at 4 or 5 rpms, and if the car has the Low gears u can shift thru em urself and redline it. and it depends how u drive em and such. FYI: i like standards better and i can see y a person who doesnt no how a car totally works, just has the concepts would see that, i only no because im a grease monkey
autos provide more consistent accelerations i.e. it does it at 10.8 every time. but manuals do in fact provide better acceleration when properly driven- you can pull 10.2.
its proven. look it up if you dont believe me
fast, cheap, reliable. pick 2.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Tell that to the guy brake launching with a high stall torque converter. :roll:
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Pontiacracer, what's your sig about?
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

Johnf514 wrote:Pontiacracer, what's your sig about?
LOL i think it's about cars.. and it's true LOL

I'd take reliable and fast :D
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

I think pontiacracer's are fast and cheap. Haven't heard much about Fieros being reliable and GM wasn't putting out the best quality cars back then, but I could be wrong :) .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

potownrob wrote:I think pontiacracer's are fast and cheap. Haven't heard much about Fieros being reliable and GM wasn't putting out the best quality cars back then, but I could be wrong :) .
well from what it sound, it probably have been completely rebuilt with non-stock parts... I could be wrong too lol...