Adventures at Firebird Raceway in Boise. V6 3G beats Si

1320 feet of adrenaline
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Mits Evo MR

Adventures at Firebird Raceway in Boise. V6 3G beats Si

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

Some buddies and I went out to Boise as sort of a going away outting for my best friend who is in the Army National Guard and was going to be heading out to basic the following week. The weather was not good in the morning and it alternated between raining HEAVILY and brief periods of sunshine. This was probably the worst possible weekend to go racing, but since we were already out there we thought we would do our best. I had ran a 14.8 in my Spyder when it was stock in Spokane and was excited to see what I would run here as I had not raced at a strip since then. (note* 14.9 is a very good time for a stock Spyder GT). Considering that I had added around an additional 35hp (intake, exhaust, plugs,wires, TB/IM thermoblock kit, ECU reflash) and had reduced weight substantially (wheels were 22lbs lighter than stock overall, exhaust was 6-8lbs lighter, no rear seats, and minimal gas in the tank) I figured that I would be very happy if I ran a 14.2 give or take a 10th of a second.

To my dismay the track was drastically under-prepped. I watched a friend with a race prepped Civic hatch with a built d-series with a T3/T4 turbo running 25lbs of boost have horrible traction problems- with and without slicks- I mean I have ridden in this car and it will scare the crap out of you and the best this could muster at the strip was a mid 14.

I watched a mildly modded Evo 8 (K&N filter, aftermarket intercooler, and a borrowed manual boost controller) make a best run of 14.4 seconds with a very good driver at the wheel. Needless to say I found that my best run of 15.6 seconds at 88mph to be........uhh...somewhat satisfactory considering the circumstances. I figured that even if the track sucked if I was able to be around only a second behind the Evo, I should be happy with my efforts for the day.

Despite the fact that no one was running very well, we basically stopped paying attention to whatever times we were running and just to who was winning the race out of the two that were competing. Of the guys in my little car group there is a sort of a punk kid with a new 06 Civic Si (stock) that is so friggin full of himself and talks trash about how he would beat me non stop. I beat him both times we ran. The first time was my first run of the day and I had a horrible launch and his limited slip aided him in a great start. I thought I was going to lose until..........................he missed 4th gear and I flew past him. Remember F&F, kids: WINNING IS WINNING ! lol.

The second time was much more glorious. I had an awesome (considering the track conditions) launch and pulled on him the whole way down the track with my substantially greater torque carrying me to victory lane exactly a full second before he crossed the line. I don't care what anyone says. When a 3G eclipse with the much downplayed 6G72 motor takes any K20 powered car (I'm not even a honda guy and I still love that motor !) that is something that can make your day ! =)

So despite the bad conditions on the track, I still managed to have fun and I can't wait to see what I can do when the weather is nicer and I get my prothane mounts and torque damper in and take some more weight off the car.

2010 Evo X MR- Rally Red :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3863366
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Adventures at Firebird Raceway in Boise. V6 3G beats Si

Post by AHTOXA »

Good kill!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Did anyone else read the title, and think... "an iPhone with a V6?" :lol:

Great runs, even for a race track of ice. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Nychold wrote:Did anyone else read the title, and think... "an iPhone with a V6?" :lol:
Yeah. :lol:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
sk8ferlife7
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sk8ferlife7 »

i wouldnt say that your engine the 6G72 beat a k20, i would say you were the better driver though.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

I don't think that the si 6 speeds are that good for racing. The only reason Honda motors are any good is because of V-Tec, and the 6 speeds in the si's hit V-Tec for about a second because of the narrow gear ratios. The 5 speed transmissions are way better suited for power in my opinion.

Definitely a good beat down though. I hope you didn't stuff it in his face afterward, but instead slightly smiled and said "good race" as he took off violently and cursed under his breath for the rest of the day.