Finally did it, went 9.79et ! Video & pic

1320 feet of adrenaline
sc68z28
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1968 Camaro

Re: Finally did it, went 9.79et ! Video & pic

Post by sc68z28 »

It's hard to find good free help (camera man) these days.

Yes the track was in part some of the problem when I crashed.
LHOswald wrote:so did you just give it to much gas off the line and it spun out? how much rpms are you supposed to be launching at anyway? cause i know you cant just bounce it off the rev limiter, dump it and expect to have traction right? you have to wait til you get moving a bit before you can stab the gas to the floor
My clutch is adjustable (static & centrifugal clamping pressure) and normally will allow the engine to stay at peak HP rpm. When adjusted correctly the clutch will slip for about a half second at launch and around 2/10th slip after each gear changes.
I normally leave off the two step at 6400 rpm and WOT.

The day of the crash the clutch had new thicker discs. I was guessing at the base pressure adjustment and missed it big time, went to lock up way to quick, causing the new smaller tires to spin :cry: .

I just missed the set up for the track and tire combo :oops:

The clutch is key to a successful launch, I can elaborate more on my clutch setup if anyone cares.

---Bill.
1968 Camaro G-force 5 speed
9.20 vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eiVf6StIFE
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Dude, your car and yourself are serious badasses. Love what you're doing with it and that you are willing to explain it to us, and that you admit the mistakes (which are a given anyways) and explain how you solved them. People think it's so simple to just drag a quarter mile, but to do it that fast takes some serious skill.

A few questions if you have time.

1. About how many HP/torque are you producing? And while the car is street legal, is it still feasible to drive on the street? Other people have told me that once you get past around 400 HP, it's hard or overly impractical to drive the car on the street, just wondering if you've found the same to be true.

2. Any idea of her 0-60 time? I know the drag racing world is more concerned with distances, but I always read about cars super built up that make ridiculous amounts of power, but I don't know how that power translates to real world situations. I know that no one (hopefully) is launching at 6800 RPMs on the street, but any rough idea you have I'd love to hear. Heck, 0-45 is probably the number that matters to me most.

Thanks!, and again, love the car.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

The clutch is key to a successful launch, I can elaborate more on my clutch setup if anyone cares.
oh trust me. i do
sc68z28
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sc68z28 »

eggwich delfiero wrote:Dude, your car and yourself are serious badasses. Love what you're doing with it and that you are willing to explain it to us, and that you admit the mistakes (which are a given anyways) and explain how you solved them. People think it's so simple to just drag a quarter mile, but to do it that fast takes some serious skill.

1. About how many HP/torque are you producing? And while the car is street legal, is it still feasible to drive on the street? Other people have told me that once you get past around 400 HP, it's hard or overly impractical to drive the car on the street, just wondering if you've found the same to be true.

2. Any idea of her 0-60 time? I know the drag racing world is more concerned with distances, but I always read about cars super built up that make ridiculous amounts of power, but I don't know how that power translates to real world situations. I know that no one (hopefully) is launching at 6800 RPMs on the street, but any rough idea you have I'd love to hear. Heck, 0-45 is probably the number that matters to me most. Thanks!, and again, love the car.
Thanks, Stick shift drag race info seemed hard to find and some racers were very secretive about clutch and trans info. shortly after I found this site I also came accross the UMTR forum, there is lots of good info there.
http://www.umtrnorth.com/

Back in 2005 when I was tuning my EFI, the car made 712 corrected HP at about 6200 rpm on a chassis dyno. Since then I've made a few changes that picked up some more power, so I probably make an honnest (non corrected) 740 HP at the wheels and close to 800 crankshaft HP.
Driving a car on the street with 600, 800, 1000hp+ is not impossible, and can be controlled with your right foot. JMHO, I think it's the things that make it perform well at the track that make it uncomfortable to street drive. Things like slicks, spool, trasmission, clutch, noise and so on. Example, slicks and a spool, going around a corner and run thru some water :shock: game over! Even at just part throttle.
So yes, with street tires there is a point where more HP does nothing due to lack of traction. My car is my hobby, not my daily driver, very fun to drive anywhere.

At the track, I go thru the 60 foot timers at appox 50 mph in 1.32 seconds. I get to the 330 foot timer in 3.8 sec at 94 mph, and 660' in 5.9 @ 118mph
My Drag Simulator shows 0 to 60mph is 1.9 sec and 0-100 is 4.36 sec, but thats on a prept surface with slicks (race trim).
I do NOT race my car on the street, but a little spirited driving is a whole lot of fun :twisted:

My chassis dyno from 2005

---Bill.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

This may sound stupid but what does it actually feel like when you're racing? The fastest thing I've been in was either a Dodge Charger SRT-8 at the auto show where he pinned it, or my friend's ML55 AMG. I know the AMG gave you a nice solid push into the seat until about 80 mph, then leveled off, unlike most cars which level off by 2nd gear or so. What's it like in a car that does the quarter faster than I can get to 60? :lol:
sc68z28
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sc68z28 »

LHOswald wrote: oh trust me. i do
There are several clutch manuf to chose from that make this type of clutch, I choose http://www.advancedclutches.com/products.htm
Mine is the 7" two disc "dual 7" .
Sintered iron discs, aluminum flywheel, adjustable Long style PP, total weight 19 lbs.
In the 1st pic you can see those 6 yellow circles, in the center of them is an allen bolt that make the base (static) pressure adjustment.
This is done thru a hole in the bell, see 3rd pic
Attached to the outside edge of the 3 levers, you can see (in pic 1) nuts, bolts, and washers. These are the counter weights (C/W), they add clamping pressure at RPM. We measure the C/W in grams, I run 26 grams of C/W on mine.

Since I am not that good with the writen word, I want anyone interested in this subject to read what Jim (540Hotrod) wrote over on another forum.
He explains it very well here... http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232952

---Bill.

C/W change thru this hole.

eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Thanks for the answers, pics and the links. Super sick car.

--Spencer
sc68z28
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sc68z28 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:This may sound stupid but what does it actually feel like when you're racing? What's it like in a car that does the quarter faster than I can get to 60? :lol:
It's a RUSH I can't discribe, 2+ G's for about the first 30 feet, and very ADDICTING :D

---Bill.