Post a picture of your shifter!

All things photo, moving or not.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Post a picture of your shifter!

Post by Shadow »

1974Alfa5spd wrote: That seems to be pretty standard now. Someone said here why they do that and IIRC it's to negate the need to downshift before passing. It's kind of silly, I'd personally prefer it to sit around 2500-2k and go for 4th when I need passing power, but people in general are stupid so we have to put up with band-aids to cover their shortcomings.
I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I love cars that have great highway passing power in top gear. Sure, gearing is important, but engine flexibility play a huge role too. To me, it's the best of both worlds when you have a car that has decent highway fuel economy and still manages to have great highway passing power in top gear while keeping the revs relatively low. With my car, downshifting to pass on the highway is 100% optional. The car will pull pretty hard in 6th gear at 60 mph, which means passing doesn't require a downshift. But that doesn't mean I don't ever downshift on the highway. If I want maximum passing power, of course I'll downshift....but at least I have the choice. Honestly, I hardly ever downshift to pass on the highway at all. I just stab the gas pedal and have all the power I need.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Even though my Corolla sits at around 3k at 70 and has plenty of torque for a little 4 cylinder (115 @2800) the passing maneuvers I do require that I DC to 3rd and absolutely blow past the jerkass hogging the left lane :lol:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Even though my Corolla sits at around 3k at 70 and has plenty of torque for a little 4 cylinder (115 @2800) the passing maneuvers I do require that I DC to 3rd and absolutely blow past the jerkass hogging the left lane :lol:
I did that in my brother's Corolla of the same vintage. Its problems were related to neglect and not power, or the lack thereof.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Yeash, I can't find a stock picture of my interior to save my life. All of them are not tastefully modified. So it looks like I will be doing an actual picture...tomorrow.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:Yeash, I can't find a stock picture of my interior to save my life. All of them are not tastefully modified. So it looks like I will be doing an actual picture...tomorrow.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

So that's what my shift knob would look like if the previous owner hadn't replaced it with what I think was an 8-ball.

Is that a vacuum/boost gauge?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Yea, that's a vacuum/boost gauge. The previous owner put that in.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

ClutchDisc wrote:Yea, that's a vacuum/boost gauge. The previous owner put that in.
I wonder why he put it way down low and next to the shifter?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That's a popular location for gauges with L-bracket mounts. Seems like a knee-destroyed in a crash, IMO.

I have a panel that I mounted directly in front of/above the shifter for switches and gauges, should be out of the way of knees.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:That's a popular location for gauges with L-bracket mounts. Seems like a knee-destroyed in a crash, IMO.

I have a panel that I mounted directly in front of/above the shifter for switches and gauges, should be out of the way of knees.
Well it is easy to mount, don't have to tear up the dash, and as for tachometers on daily drivers, it's a good place for it because then one won't be inclined to use it as a crutch. BTW, my tach is still coverd with black contact paper--I don't miss it!

But I had a 1990 E350 motorhome once and put a tach and oil pressure gauge on top of the dash, directly under my line of site. That is the proper location for gauges you want to see. I have no problem with a tach in a slusher because it won't be a crutch, pretty useless, but like the floor mounted mode selector, it dazzles the dumb masses into thinking they have a sporty car and the manufacturer can charge more money for it.
Stick shiftin since '77
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

76 Celica (2nd gear):

95 Tercel (1st gear) - Quoting myself from the previous page of this thread:
mtheis wrote:Image
You could say that I like Hurst shifters. However, living in Texas requires me to park in the shade with those aluminum T-handles.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rub some lanolin into that leather shift boot.

The whiskey bottle bag is an innovative shift boot!

Not sure I could deal with a T-handle shifter, as in my mind it seems it would be awkward to grasp. Then there is the opposite exteme: the pistol grip shifter.

My neighbor has a Focus and I suspected it is a manual so went over and peeked in. Upon first seeing a T-handle, my initial thought was I was mistaken, but it is a manual and he had put in the T-handle.
Stick shiftin since '77
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

ClutchDisc wrote:Yea, that's a vacuum/boost gauge. The previous owner put that in.
Well, your only option now is to turbocharge the vehicle. We'll be awaiting your project thread :o .
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.