Post a picture of your engine

All things photo, moving or not.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Post a picture of your engine

Post by ClutchDisc »

Thanks, I didn't realize we had a Google search option built into the site. That works really well. I thought the only search function was the one by the user control panel.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchDisc wrote:That's why I didn't use the site search function. Instead I used Google with site:standardshift.com and that still didn't bring it up. Oh well I guess.
Really? That's exactly how I found the thread in the first place. Knowing that the forum search function is severely limited, I just typed "pics of your engine site:www.standardshift.com" into Google and it was the first result that showed up.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

When I searched I typed "pictures of your engine site:standardshift.com" and it didn't come up. Then I tried "engine pictures". Nothing came up. It must be picky and not like pictures. I tried it with pics and it was the first thing that came up. Strange because other "pic" titled threads came up but not that one.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

As promised, a picture of Olie's bits.

And some other random thing under the bonnet.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Tankinbeans: Where is the intake manifold. That looks like a throttle body sitting down low between the valve covers.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

InlinePaul wrote:Tankinbeans: Where is the intake manifold. That looks like a throttle body sitting down low between the valve covers.
I'll have to go out and check when I'm feeling motivated.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

I spy a mouse
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:I spy a mouse
Wo gibt es ein Maus?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Well if it is the 4.3L V6 then it is a mouse (small block Chevy V8) with two cylinders cut off, or so that is how I understand GM came up with the 4.3 V6.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

InlinePaul wrote:
Well if it is the 4.3L V6 then it is a mouse (small block Chevy V8) with two cylinders cut off, or so that is how I understand GM came up with the 4.3 V6.
That's an interesting nickname for the 4.3, which is indeed what that is. At 202 k it's still going strong and most of the fluids have been serviced. I'm sure the car was taken care of because the previous owner got suckered into nitro filling the tires, not something your typical negligent owner would probably pay for.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote: That's an interesting nickname for the 4.3, which is indeed what that is. At 202 k it's still going strong and most of the fluids have been serviced. I'm sure the car was taken care of because the previous owner got suckered into nitro filling the tires, not something your typical negligent owner would probably pay for.
You're right, that owner must have taken very good care of it.

I don't know if the 4.3 is referred to as mouse, but for years the small block chevy V8 was referred to as a mouse engine and the big block Chevy as a rat engine. But the 4.3s design is supposed to be pure mouse and that is what makes it such a great and bulletproof engine.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:
tankinbeans wrote: That's an interesting nickname for the 4.3, which is indeed what that is. At 202 k it's still going strong and most of the fluids have been serviced. I'm sure the car was taken care of because the previous owner got suckered into nitro filling the tires, not something your typical negligent owner would probably pay for.
You're right, that owner must have taken very good care of it.

I don't know if the 4.3 is referred to as mouse, but for years the small block chevy V8 was referred to as a mouse engine and the big block Chevy as a rat engine. But the 4.3s design is supposed to be pure mouse and that is what makes it such a great and bulletproof engine.
Don't forget the Elephant Motor!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Never heard of the elephant motor, but without Googling it, I am going to simply guess it is a big block Dodge/Chrysler motor.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:Never heard of the elephant motor, but without Googling it, I am going to simply guess it is a big block Dodge/Chrysler motor.
Come to the CEMA Car Show and you can see and hear some up close.
It's East of the Silverdome, on the North side of Featherstone Road.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

Post by Perpetuus »

Here is mine! Don't mind the wrinkly gold wrap. I have to redo it.

GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG