hello all

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2001 Saturn SL-1

hello all

Post by s4turn »

hey guys im new to the stick shift world 8) . I live in NE Ohio and I currently drive an auto Saturn SL-1, my first car, which is the perfect definition of econobox, straight down to the massive amounts of engine noise and creaky trim peices that fall off. :oops: (but hey its my first car how can i complain, its pretty reliable and i do my own maintenance) Anyways, I recently got a girl I work with to teach me stick on her '08 Chevy Aveo. Im gonna be leaving off for college next year and Im buying a new car, either the 09 Fit or Saturn/Vauxhall/Opel Astra (which i think looks so awesome), and the good thing about the Astra is i dont have to special order a manual, because their imported straight from Belgium with manual gearboxes (most of them). I wanted to learn because I want to put the extra grand ill save in my pocket as well as good fuel economy (26 mpg currently in my auto saturn 100% city, mostly stop and go). Well from the 2 times ive been out and 1:30 hours of driving in a car park im enjoying it greatly, and so appreciative that she will let me destroy her car :D Im having a slight issue though. She tells me it will come in time but im having problems getting the car going fairly quickly, like in a real world driving situation. I tend to stall it when i move to quickly. I can shift very smoothly and downshift into turns really easily its just this one thing thats gotten me nervous. Shes teaching me to look at the tach and when the needle dips i move from the brake to the gas, which will also help me when i am on a hill and i cant just rev it up and not have my foot on the brake, which also wears the clutch im told. She did a test wear i closed me eyes and tried to feel the car, and i had the smoothest start ive ever had in my short time driving manual. I just want to know your guys opinions and tips, shes taking me into the neighbourhood next week so i need to get a little more comfortable. Thanks :mrgreen: Also, i just dont think its fair how this country is addicted to slushboxes. I mean everyone expects you to be driving an auto which adds stress on you and the entire light system is not adapted for manual drivers, unlike the red yellow green system i saw on my trip to the UK not long ago. its unfair
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Re: hello all

Post by blauenlanze »

Have fun, it sounds like you're doing most things OK but you shouldn't look at the tach when trying to launch, just feel the car move (but with your eyes open of course :p) Also check out the FAQ about the handbrake launch which suold help on hlils.

Oh yeah, by any chance are you British? Or moved from Europe recently?
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

sweet, another NEO member...i'm in Mansfield, to the south...

WELCOME!
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter

Post by s4turn »

blauenlanze wrote:Have fun, it sounds like you're doing most things OK but you shouldn't look at the tach when trying to launch, just feel the car move (but with your eyes open of course :p) Also check out the FAQ about the handbrake launch which suold help on hlils.

Oh yeah, by any chance are you British? Or moved from Europe recently?
thanks for the tips. i have many relatives from the UK and travel there very often but I was born in Columbus, Ohio, i guess i spend a tad too much time over there. I always feel the need to spell and speak in british english for some reason, must be because its in my blood :lol: and also must be influencing my need for a manual shift car :mrgreen:
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Welcome to the forums.
s4turn wrote:Shes teaching me to look at the tach and when the needle dips i move from the brake to the gas, which will also help me when i am on a hill and i cant just rev it up and not have my foot on the brake, which also wears the clutch im told. She did a test wear i closed me eyes and tried to feel the car, and i had the smoothest start ive ever had in my short time driving manual.
You need to learn to drive by feel, the tach is really just something to let you know exactly what the engine's doing, to fine tune stuff. First learn to launch by looking at the tach to familiarize yourself with what rpm equals what engine note.

Launching is more of a fluid seesawing between both the clutch and gas, but when you're learning it's split up into steps like that.

Use the handbrake method when launching on a hill, when you get better at launching you won't need to but it's still the safest way to launch.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

Welcome aboard! Everything you need to know is on this forum, somewhere. Eventually, everything you'll need to know, you'll know. And it won't even take that long. It wasn't 4 months before I was launching my car like a pro. Well, okay, maybe not like Gary, but you know...the expression. :lol: The most important thing to know about driving a stick isn't what to focus on or pay attention to. The most important thing, which people on this forum tend to forget, is to RELAX. You will wear your clutch. You will roll back until you get the hang of hill launches. You will stall, even as an expert. You will mess up shifts. You will screw up launches. It's inevitable. Just relax, and enjoy the other 95% of your driving. There's no need to be in a rush...take it slow, and enjoy. :D
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :D

sounds like you are on the right track. quicker launches will come with time and practice, it takes a while.

check out the FAQ 2.0 sticky, use the hand brake for hill launches, and get as much seat time as you can.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
SnD
Junior Standardshifter

Post by SnD »

Welcome!

More seat time will cure all your worries. Just don't rush yourself either, take your time. And don't feel bad if people become pissed and honk at you for stalling out. The country is full of impatient fools.
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

Welcome!

I'm a displaced Brit, the last time I visited my family in April I rented a Vauxhall Astra. It felt nicely put together but the electronic return-to-center indicator stalk really annoyed me. Seems like a small thing but it gave me a bad impression of the car in short time I drove it.

I agree with you about traffic lights, I wish here had that second of red+amber to get yourself ready to start moving. Usually you can judge when a light will turn green based on the cross-street traffic & lights but sometimes it takes you by surprise.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Welcome aboard. Plenty of reading available here in the FAQ threads. Don't hesistate to ask!
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter

Post by s4turn »

thanks for the warm welcome guys i really appreciate it. i just wanted to say i can never really feel her car moving forward because it doesnt seem to have enough power in the first place :lol: . but she told me not to give it gas and then let off the clutch, even though i was reading the FAQ and it seems to be ok for beginners? i mean when i did that i didnt stall, its like she wants me to be able to not slip the clutch as much as possible from day one, but it is her car so i cant really complain can i? oh and i havent really test drove the Astra yet, but it got some crazy good reviews, and the only things the journalist found wrong with it was the bloody cupholder was too far back. A CUPHOLDER! i mean come on put down your big gulp and drive people! and also the lack of engine choices which is another thing that is totally unfair in every way. Why cant we have a selection in engines? i mean i would like to get a turbo diesel astra but its not available. other than that the car still has the 24-hour clock and everything, i just cant believe GM made a good decision for once and brought over a proper european car. thats the end of my rant :lol:
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

You can probably slip a clutch all day long at idle, and do less than damage than a 4 second launch at 5k RPM. (Don't quote me on that, but it seems logical enough to me, even without the euphemisms.) She might be concerned for her clutch, and is telling you to do it the easiest way. But there's also a method to her madness. If you launch without using gas, you'll be more apt to notice when the car actually starts moving in relation to the clutch. If you give the car gas, this distinct becomes blurred because you're not at the same RPM each time, especially as a rookie. :)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

s4turn wrote:oh and i havent really test drove the Astra yet, but it got some crazy good reviews, and the only things the journalist found wrong with it was the bloody cupholder was too far back. A CUPHOLDER! i mean come on put down your big gulp and drive people! and also the lack of engine choices which is another thing that is totally unfair in every way. Why cant we have a selection in engines? i mean i would like to get a turbo diesel astra but its not available. other than that the car still has the 24-hour clock and everything, i just cant believe GM made a good decision for once and brought over a proper european car. thats the end of my rant :lol:
I hear you, unfortunately that's what the average American wants: cheap slushbox sedan with plenty of cupholders and lots of electronic gadgets. That's why the U.S. version of the Focus is selling well and the Astra isn't.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Lol did they actually complain about the cupholders. Hahahah, mine doesn't even have any, I have to put my drink in the centre storage bin between the seats.
s4turn
Junior Standardshifter

Post by s4turn »

yea its rediculous. i bet though around the beginning of next year they will have mad incentives because they cant move them off the lot at all, which equals huge savings for me and a very happy new manual driver :lol: