just saying hi

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Re: just saying hi

Post by comingbackdown »

I'll say it again as I've said it before... Nothing is impossible with cars...

There's got to be a transmission out there that will fit that car... Just like Jory pulled of a 5MT swap with his Spirit, I can find a way to pull it off with this car... May take me two years of digging and researching, but I'm sure it can be done somehow.

Plus, if that's not a stock motor, that might not apply.

There's always the option of a RWD conversion someday, but that sh!t is expensive.
...and it'd get around in winter about as well as the old van would if you took it mudding.

Somewhere, wherever he's at, Tony's ears just pricked up because he heard the word "mudding". *waits for him to pop up and go "WHO SAID SOMETHING RELATED TO OFFROADING?!"* (my apologies for being an ubar-smartass.)

This new member is indeed my friend John. He happens to be a kickass dude. He has a lot to learn about cars, but that's what I'm here for. First things I told him after he got this car were:

If your dad and the guy he takes your car to are working on your car together, that's great. If they each drain half a six-pack of dirt-cheap beer while working on it, that's not great at all...

I actually impulsively screamed this one... "DON'T USE ARMORALL!" Then I explained what it does to an interior. After he washes it, I'm gonna clay it for $20, then do the rewashing and let him wax it. As always, I had to plug my favorite detailing products... I like Meguiar's Deep Crystal. 3 piece set, but it works quite well. I suggested their interior detailer over ArmorAll. I also suggested a set of junkyard steelies and some cheap snow tires as a priority, since it's gonna probably be sliding around a bit with the ones that are on it... That, and it'd be a great idea to save the custom rims for summer. :D

It's a nice car. Very nice.

He learned that the handbrake works on a test-drive... He said "Hmm... I wonder if this works." A certain somebody said "Let's find out." and yanked it while they were going down the road at about 50 mph. :lol: It wasn't funny as it happened, but it's funny as all hell now!

Something I suggested we try with his old van, but never got the chance... Now we're gonna make it happen...

Thanks to Johnf (It's Prussian) for the idea of tossing cookie sheets under the rears, yanking the drift lever, and showing a parking lot who's boss. We will probably post video when we finally get around to doing it. :twisted:

Congrats on a bitchin' car, man.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

thanks man. the guy who pulled the brake was my uncle and it just so happened to be on a gravel road! anyway yeah i forget what you said about armorall so mind refreshing my memory?
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Takigu wrote:thanks man. the guy who pulled the brake was my uncle and it just so happened to be on a gravel road! anyway yeah i forget what you said about armorall so mind refreshing my memory?
Don't use it. Period. Interior-wise, it'll dry up your interior and crack it. Exterior-wise... It'll look really really bad.
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Takigu »

ok thanks i'll just get something else
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i teh failzors to seez no turbof

you dont have a turbo buddy. you got a mitsu 6G73 2.5 v6. these are the cars that came with a 6G73:
* 1995–2000 Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger
* 1995–2000 Chrysler Cirrus/Dodge Stratus
* 1990–2002 Mitsubishi Diamante
* 1992–1996 Mitsubishi Galant
* 1995–1998 Dodge Avenger

so a 5spd out of any of those will bolt up, but they already said something about front axle clearance. it can be done. it will have to be custom. im sure its been done before. look around on those car forums and im sure people have done it in the past.
id also get ahold of Jory to see if 6G7 blocks have the same bellhousing pattern. if they do, theres a sh1t ton of cars that have a 6G72 and a 5spd. if they are not the same bellousing pattern then your SOL.

avenger never came with a turbo, so whoever is telling you it was turbo is either full of shet or retarded
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Takigu »

yeah we already established that actually but anyway thanks for the info about the transmission i'll get ahold of him if i can
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Exactly who told you about the turbo, the seller, or a mechanic. It better not be a mechanic.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

id imagine Aaron would be his mechanic and teach him sh1t
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

aaron didn't see the car before it was bought...so it wouldn't've been aaron.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Takigu wrote:a few people have driven it and said it had one aswell
maybe it has an electric BOV noise maker? :lol:
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

people who drive it probably drive geo metros and they got in a 2.5 car and were like OMg this sh1ts so fasts its gotta have a turbo
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

hockeystyx16 wrote:people who drive it probably drive geo metros and they got in a 2.5 car and were like OMg this sh1ts so fasts its gotta have a turbo
No, more than likely it's like the GM 60* V6 in my Beretta. Slow off the line, but after a second or two, there's a surge of power. Feels a lot like turbo lag, so that could be it.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It's a nice car regardless. I like the styling of them, actually. It's better than a lot of the new junk out there.

..wait, did someone mention offroading?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:It's a nice car regardless. I like the styling of them, actually. It's better than a lot of the new junk out there.

..wait, did someone mention offroading?
I told you he could sense it!!! *disturbing sailor voice* "Aye, matey... 'E smells offroadin' in the waters, that 'e does..." */ disturbing sailor voice*